Official 2007 St. Louis Comic Cookout Thread (05-09-2007)

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.

Official 2007 St. Louis Comic Cookout Thread (05-09-2007)

Postby Rkolter on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:04 pm

Here it is. It's official. The website is up, it's taking registration and payments.

http://www.reasonedcognition.com/cookout2007.html

Last updated 05-21-2007: 51 people are attending!
Last edited by Rkolter on Mon May 21, 2007 6:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Dr Legostar on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:19 pm

i want to have a bit more organized dancing this time around, since there have been people who enjoyed it last year and more who have expressed interest. What i propose is a swing lesson from 8 to 9 on saturday night and then just free dancing from 9 till whenever. I'll put on some music and let people dance and help out people with some basics or more advanced stuff as the night goes along. People up for that?

edit: it has also been suggested to do something friday night, i would be more than willing to do something both nights, i can do two of the same lesson, one each night, two different lessons, two completely different dance steps, whatever people like. But i would like to have it on a schedule and have it be "okay we're doing this at around this time"
Last edited by Dr Legostar on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Vorticus on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:20 pm

I can dance all night long :D
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend

Postby Rkolter on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:36 pm

Things to remember, that are popping up in the forums:

1) We are not doing this at our house this time - there's no kitchen available. However, if not a lot of people show up Thursday, or some people are left over Sunday, we could hit our new, really cool home and do something foodwise.

2) No cooked food at the cookout. As funny as that sounds, the hotel is serious about 'No food that will ever require refrigeration' being brought in by guests. They don't care about your hotel rooms, but the confrence room is a big issue for them due to insurance.

3) Remember that we have the confrence room all day Friday - so we can plan stuff with a big room on Friday. We have it all day saturday too (with food).

4) Remember, Thursday and Sunday - fewer people arrived/left, but still enough to do fun stuff.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
Rkolter

Postby RemusShepherd on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:37 pm

Just mentioning...I might make more to mention as my mind 'members to mention them. :)

I can bake lasagna for a dozen people -- maybe thursday?

I'd like to go to a rib place, please. :) And it's on me (for Ryan and Beth certainly, and maybe more if the crowd isn't too big. :) )

Karaoke possible at the hotel?

I will drive if I have driving partners. Won't drive alone.
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero

Postby Garneta on Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:45 pm

RemusShepherd wrote:I'd like to go to a rib place, please. :)

Did you ever get to one of them this last time around? I remember you mentioning it.

I'm up for karaoke and dancing (but I think it might be a bit much to have the same dance lesson on two different nights...maybe a different lesson, or just one night). If we make it up for New Years I'm planning on going gambling for a bit then, but if we don't make it, I'd like to do that in June.

I just did the math, and since it's gonna cost us $265 to come, not including gas, if a few people wanna split a room with us, we wouldn't mind a bit. We'll be there Thursday through Sunday. And we won't be able to reserve the room or put down our fees until sometime after I start back at work next year, but rest assured that we will!
Image Image Image
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Postby Laemkral on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:49 pm

Alright, I'm paid up and good to go. I'm gonna be aiming for a Thursday arrival and a Sunday departure. Can't wait!
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby Nanda on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:35 pm

We are paid! :D I'll call the hotel first thing tomorrow morning.
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tim on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:22 am

Nanda wrote:We are paid! :D I'll call the hotel first thing tomorrow morning.

Have you made flight plans already? If not, let me know what you're thinking, maybe we can all fly together?

Otherwise, right now I'm a 'maybe', leaning toward 'probable'. Also, I'm once again up for sharing a hotel room (not with Nanda, I know she wants her own room), unless circumstances change between now and then.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Location: Bay State, ol' Bay State, I lift my heart to you (bum bum bum)

Postby Dr Legostar on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:47 am

i'll handle all of my arrangements this weekend. How do we go about it if several of us are staying in a room together, does one person reserve the room or what?
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Rkolter on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:06 am

legostargalactica wrote:i'll handle all of my arrangements this weekend. How do we go about it if several of us are staying in a room together, does one person reserve the room or what?

Kind of like any hotel - one person pays, the others pay that person.

For cookout registration purposes, one person puts down 'I am renting a room' and the others put down 'I am staying with someone renting a room'.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Dr Legostar on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:13 am

rkolter wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:i'll handle all of my arrangements this weekend. How do we go about it if several of us are staying in a room together, does one person reserve the room or what?

Kind of like any hotel - one person pays, the others pay that person.

For cookout registration purposes, one person puts down 'I am renting a room' and the others put down 'I am staying with someone renting a room'.

okay then, cort, vort, laem, which one of us is going to rent the room?
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Nanda on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:45 am

Tim wrote:
Nanda wrote:We are paid! :D I'll call the hotel first thing tomorrow morning.

Have you made flight plans already? If not, let me know what you're thinking, maybe we can all fly together?

Otherwise, right now I'm a 'maybe', leaning toward 'probable'. Also, I'm once again up for sharing a hotel room (not with Nanda, I know she wants her own room), unless circumstances change between now and then.

We have not made flight plans yet - most airlines won't book this far in advance. We do know that we're planning on going up Friday, the 8th, and leaving on Sunday, the 10th. We've also booked our room accordingly, for the 8th and the 9th. (Only problem there is if our flight leaves late on Sunday. We'll be stuck carrying our luggage for awhile.)

But yay! Cookout paid for and hotel room booked! :D
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:09 am

If your flight is late on Sunday, you'll be around to do stuff on Sunday, which is a plus. :) You may even get to see our home, pet our cats, and lick my uranium!

(uranium licking optional)
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Tynan on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:30 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm buying me an easily rippable shirt!

*by the by I had a dream about lady kolter sneaking up and tasering me...all that i could do was utter "mother fucker!" then I woke up*
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR

Postby Dr Legostar on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:34 am

Tynan wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm buying me an easily rippable shirt!

*by the by I had a dream about lady kolter sneaking up and tasering me...all that i could do was utter "mother fucker!" then I woke up*

i doubt that'll happen. It'll probably be me that does it.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Dracomax on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:15 am

quick question--
Is it required those attending stay in a hotel room?
I live at most 10 minutes away from the airport, and would rather not have to save up the extra money if I can avoid it.
ImageImageImage
You and TRI are the crazy mad ones.~Cope
Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a day; set a man on fire, keep him warm for life.~unknown
Dracomax
Cartoon Hero

Postby Killbert-Robby on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:21 am

Just approached my parents with the idea because of the bday and christmas coming up, and here's how I stand :

Pretty good chance I'll show up :D My dad hasn't said an outright no, a good sign :P, instead we sat and looked at ticket costs for a while (1000$, but we've got FFMiles galore), and my mum's actually supporting this :D They see this as my big graduation blow out, so its worth the money.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:23 am

No, it is not required that you stay at the hotel.

If you don't stay at the hotel, you may miss out on some of the wacky and zany impromptu stuff that happens. Late night stuff for example, where the people in the hotel might go do something random and weird.

NOT required you stay at the hotel tho. Not Not.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Stinkywigfiddle on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:22 am

I'm all registered and stuff.
ImageImage
Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Community Get-Togethers