Kitty! (7 Nov 06)

Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Post by Sharuuk »

Hot pee-can pie with a big ol' scoop of ice cream??? :D

*drool-slurp*

Şaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

Jaydub
Regular Poster

Post by Jaydub »

StrangeWulf13 wrote:Ask someone else then. :P I thought it would work, but I'd never tried it. Ah well... guess it doesn't.

Who wants pie? :D
Not if your going to Nerilize me! :evil:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams

Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Post by Deckard Canine »

Sharuuk wrote:Hot pee-can
I read that far too literally. :P

Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Post by Sharuuk »

Deckard Canine wrote:
Which just shows you definitely ain't a "Southerner". :wink:

Ever'where else up north of us they call it "p'CAHN". Hmmph.....damn Yankees never could talk right. :roll: *poke, poke, jab, jab, needle, needle..*

(Just kidding XD )

Şaaruuk

Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Post by Madmoonie »

In Texas, it was always "pah'cahn"
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!

Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Post by Squeaky Bunny »

Sharuuk wrote:
Deckard Canine wrote:
Which just shows you definitely ain't a "Southerner". :wink:

Ever'where else up north of us they call it "p'CAHN". Hmmph.....damn Yankees never could talk right. :roll: *poke, poke, jab, jab, needle, needle..*

(Just kidding XD )

Şaaruuk
Or as Mater said: "Y'all did what in your cup???"
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:

Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Post by Deckard Canine »

You know, I don't remember the last time I said "pecan" out loud. (I'm just not big on nuts, except maybe the loony kind.) But it seems to me that I do stress the first syllable, at least when it comes before "pie." I just don't draw it out enough to suggest two words instead of one.

Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Post by Sharuuk »

Deckard Canine wrote:You know, I don't remember the last time I said "pecan" out loud. (I'm just not big on nuts, except maybe the loony kind.) But it seems to me that I do stress the first syllable, at least when it comes before "pie." I just don't draw it out enough to suggest two words instead of one.
Now what's a bit funny is that I use both pronunciations depending on the circumstances and setting. If I'm in a sorta upscale restaurant, I'll say "p'CAHN" stressing the last sylable. A rib shack or 'Southern Home Cookin' type place..."Pee-can"...emphasis on the 'p' and stretching it out into 2 words.

Don't sweat it bro'.....just bustin' on yer chops! :D

The ever adaptable... :wink:

Şaaruuk

Sapphire
Regular Poster

Post by Sapphire »

This whole discussion on the nature of colloquial dialects in regards to the pronuciation of 'pecan' juxtoposed against 'pecan pie' made me realize that, as far as I know, I tend towards saying the former in the soft 'A' sound--the
'northern' pronounciation--yet I say the latter in the nasal sound--the 'southern' pronouncation.

However, it is worth mentioning that there aren't many pecan pies down here in Kentucky, 'cause if you're going to make a pie with pecans, you might as well make a Derby Pie.

With Mint Julep and Bourban Balls.
I would have hoped to say something meaninful, or possible inciteful. But, alas.
How goes the world today? From right to left or left to right? Perhaps it runs round mad reels, turning in on itself only at long last to blow away with the leaves and gutter-trash.
How goes the world today? Top to Bottom or Bottom to Top? Perhaps it will rise high enough so that it may see the back of its own head, in a maddening tunnel of infinity.
How goes the world today? Clockwise or Counter? Perhaps it will spin itself mad, curling a spring-from into endlessness.
Or maybe, today, it will just stop.

Zobeid
Regular Poster

Post by Zobeid »

Sharuuk wrote:Which just shows you definitely ain't a "Southerner". :wink:

Ever'where else up north of us they call it "p'CAHN". Hmmph.....damn Yankees never could talk right.
Here in central Texas we say p'CAHN or pehCAHN.

A "pee-can" is something you keep under the bed in case you need to relieve yourself at night. I've never heard anyone refer to pecans that way around here. To me it comes across sort of like a Yankee parody of how they think southerners talk. (Other words that get abused are: rodeo, howdy, and sometimes y'all)

A caveat. . . I don't know if you'd say I really live in "The South" or not. Texas has always been partly a Southern state and partly a Western state. Where I live, right in the middle, is about where The West Begins and The South Peters Out.

As for pecan pie. . . Nothing is more heavenly when it's done right -- but doing it right is kind of tricky. It's not as forgiving as apple pie. (And lots of people manage to mess up apple pie, putting in too much cinnamon or that awful, goopy, gelatinous filler.)

Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Post by Sharuuk »

Zobeid wrote:A "pee-can" is something you keep under the bed in case you need to relieve yourself at night. I've never heard anyone refer to pecans that way around here. To me it comes across sort of like a Yankee parody of how they think southerners talk. (Other words that get abused are: rodeo, howdy, and sometimes y'all)
Well, maybe I shouldn't have used the 2 "e's" :oops: , but I wanted to emphasize the long 'e' sound and short 'a' thus making it sound like 2 words. And just for the record...I call it a 'rodeo' not ro-day-oh like in Kalifornya....say 'howdy' ALL the time...and most definitely use "y'all" (singular) and "y'alls" (plural) in everyday conversation. :wink:

(An' it AIN'T no affectation neither. :roll: ) I switch back and forth between the Kings English and Redneck colloquial all the time.
As for pecan pie. . . Nothing is more heavenly when it's done right -- but doing it right is kind of tricky. It's not as forgiving as apple pie. (And lots of people manage to mess up apple pie, putting in too much cinnamon or that awful, goopy, gelatinous filler.) :ick:
AMEN to that brother!!! :D

Şaaruuk

Rokas
Regular Poster

Post by Rokas »

Who the heck says "pecan" like "p'cahn"? That's crazy talk.

I've heard it said that way, but dang, man, that's just plain dumb, 'cuz it ain't spelled that way. If it was said that way, it would've been spelled with an I instead of an E.

I mean, heck, my father grew up in Ohio, and my mother grew up in California, and they BOTH say pecan with the long E sound. O_o And I asked my friend in Arizona just now via the wondrous Internet, and he says it with the long E sound too.

Crazy people, callin' them 'p'cahns.' ;p
I really don't care anymore.
TANSTAAFL
Stockholder of CHOAM, UAC, and Liandri.
Wurfle!