Viva Piñata-phobia!

Postby Deckard Canine on Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:06 am

shyal_malkes wrote:I respect more and more how Ralph gets out more then I do.

Given that this information comes from TV and the Internet, "getting out more" seems optional with regard to American cultural education. But, uh, do get out more for the sake of exercise and sociality.

Soylent Green seems like one of those pieces of culture that is important to know but completely unnecesessary to view. I have other Charlton Heston films to see first.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby RHJunior on Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:23 am

Soylent Green and others of its ilk are the retarded offspring of a brain-damaged intellectual elitist. The author of "The Population Bomb" should be publicly flogged and then dragged off in chains for the damage his pseudo-intellectual, humanophobic, fact-devoid fearmongering book has wrought in the world.
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wanderwolf on Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:59 am

RHJunior wrote:Soylent Green and others of its ilk are the retarded offspring of a brain-damaged intellectual elitist. The author of "The Population Bomb" should be publicly flogged and then dragged off in chains for the damage his pseudo-intellectual, humanophobic, fact-devoid fearmongering book has wrought in the world.

Actually, Paul Ehrlich, Ph.D. (author of "Population Bomb", and currently Bing Professor of Population Studies at Stanford University; he's an entomologist, specializing in Lepidoptera; that's butterflies to you and me) wrote the book at the prompting of David Brower, who was then the executive director of the Sierra Club. Brower had seen similarly-themed articles written by Ehrlich for New Scientist magazine.

To be fair, though, the overall impact of "Population Bomb", outside the world of speculative fiction, was pretty minimal. About the only real-world adjustments were those which allowed greater access to contraception. (If you're referencing the "Human Interest" article that calls it one of the most damaging books of the twentieth century, Ralph, keep in mind Darwin's Origin of Species got an honorable mention on that list...)

In any event, even Ehrlich never expected to be much of a prophet. From the first edition of "Population Bomb":

Paul Ehrlich, PH.D. wrote:The possibilities are infinite; the single course of events that will be realized is unguessable. We can, however, look at a few possibilities as an aid to our thinking, using a device known as a 'scenario'. Scenarios are hypothetical sequences of events used as an aid in thinking about the future, especially in identifying possible decision points...Remember, these are just possibilities, not predictions.

While Ehrlich's writings did play a part in "Make Room, Make Room" by Henry Harrison (heck, Ehrlich wrote the foreword), they have nothing to do with Soylent Green, which is just sci-fi horror; the movie owes more to Swift's "A Modest Proposal" than to "Population Bomb".

While I agree he should stick to butterflies, Ehrlich doesn't get credit for "Soylent Green". If anything, part of the credit goes to Harry Harrison for abandoning his trademark humor while keeping his trademark misanthropy, thus making the book unsuitable for direct conversion to a movie.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Wallaroo_Blacke on Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:56 am

RHJunior wrote:Soylent Green and others of its ilk are the retarded offspring of a brain-damaged intellectual elitist. The author of "The Population Bomb" should be publicly flogged and then dragged off in chains for the damage his pseudo-intellectual, humanophobic, fact-devoid fearmongering book has wrought in the world.

Ditto the person that thought of the plan of Zero Population Growth.

If said person considered the diseases, war, and famine that are wiping
out humankind (not to mention accidents, crime, and mortality-related
deaths) by the thousands, said person should just chucked thier
manuscript in the nearest fireplace to get the logs aflame.

However... I think we do need space staions like in "Silent Running" though.
Wallaroo_Blacke
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:50 am

W_B, I don't follow you. Are you saying that overpopulation is not a problem because enough people are dying to prevent it?
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Wallaroo_Blacke on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:39 pm

Well, ALMOST.

But the person-in-question didn't figure into
account those factors of those things... on a
yearly basis. In any case, I'm just ramblin'.

:(
Wallaroo_Blacke
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:54 pm

Wallaroo_Blacke wrote:Ditto the person that thought of the plan of Zero Population Growth.

Well, the concept of ZPG was created by sociologist Kingsley Davis, who actually coined the term. Since he died nine years ago, though, you're probably thinking of the one who started the actual plan in China.

China's implementation of the ZPG idea is the Planned Birth Policy, known over here as the One Child Policy. Problem is, there is no one person who designed it; it was run (as most things in Communist China are) by committee.

Sorry, Wallaroo.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Wallaroo_Blacke on Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:37 pm

Thanks for tellin' me, Wanderer.

I kinda figured I was rambling.
Wallaroo_Blacke
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:23 pm

And now China has the 4-2-1 problem. One adult now has to take care of his/her 2 parents AND 4 grandparents. So much for Chinese ingenuity...
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Previous

Return to Under the Lemon Tree