Since foreign travel is the side-topic of choice...

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:11 pm

I suppose you've heard of the fella that is selling Islamic "love" dolls?

They are just like the other kind except they blow themselves up. :roll:
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Postby Celidah the Bardess on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:44 pm

Islam does too have a symbol! It's a crescent moon. Hence the crescent moon on many Muslim countries' flags, and the Muslim version of Red Cross being Red Crescent. To be fair, that symbol's use isn't as widespread (or agreed-upon) as the Christian cross or the Jewish Star of David. Still, Islam does have a symbol.
Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:12 pm

Celidah the Bardess wrote:Islam does too have a symbol! It's a crescent moon. Hence the crescent moon on many Muslim countries' flags, and the Muslim version of Red Cross being Red Crescent. To be fair, that symbol's use isn't as widespread (or agreed-upon) as the Christian cross or the Jewish Star of David. Still, Islam does have a symbol.

Er, not exactly. Some Muslims consider the crescent moon and star to be a defamation of Islam becaus of its pre-Islam origins. And Mohammed didn't originate it, either; that honor went to the Ottoman Empire.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:55 am

Huh. Do those same Muslims not respect the Kaaba, which also has pre-Islamic origins?
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:42 pm

You're expecting consistency from the followers of the Pedophile Prophet (may bees pee upon him)?
Skydancer

Ignorance is not a point of view.
Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:46 pm

Kerry Skydancer wrote:You're expecting consistency from the followers of the Pedophile Prophet (may bees pee upon him)?

ROTFLMFAO!!
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:09 pm

Celidah the Bardess wrote:Islam does too have a symbol! It's a crescent moon. Hence the crescent moon on many Muslim countries' flags, and the Muslim version of Red Cross being Red Crescent. To be fair, that symbol's use isn't as widespread (or agreed-upon) as the Christian cross or the Jewish Star of David. Still, Islam does have a symbol.

If the crescent moon is the symbol of Islam, then this must be a mosque.

Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wanderwolf on Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:46 am

No, the Kaaba is accepted because Mohammed himself rededicated it. Mohammed never selected a symbol, nor used one in any degree pf preference; his flag was all field, with no symbol or emblem, and could be any of several colors.

Oh, and there's evidence that Mohammed wasn't a pedophile; among other things, the accounts of A'isha's age are not only inconsistent (sometime within the same text), but funneled through a bottleneck around Iraq, during which time a formerly reliable historian becomes known for inaccuracies.

In short: He's dead, we have no hard evidence, and it wouldn't be surprising to find it's a mistake.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:37 pm

Wouldn't be surprising to find out it was true, either. I've been reading the Koran on and off for the past few years - it's slow going. Nothing but rants about how to be pure and clean (by washing your hands off with dirt? I realize they were in a desert, but -really-) and how Allah hates sinners (which appears to mean everyone who questions Mohammed's bona fides) and how Allah will help them win in the end, and why it's not sinful to lie to infidels...

I'm not a believer in -any- of the standard religions, but this one is in a class by itself for sheer viciousness and stupidity. It doesn't -quite- reach the arrogance of Kim Jong Mental's personal cult (latest news? He just took up golf and scored five holes-in-one his first try at the game - no, I am NOT making this up) but it tries.
Skydancer

Ignorance is not a point of view.
Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bruce Bergman on Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:07 pm

Kerry Skydancer wrote:<Snip> It doesn't -quite- reach the arrogance of Kim Jong Mental's personal cult (latest news? He just took up golf and scored five holes-in-one his first try at the game - no, I am NOT making this up) but it tries.

That's more of a "Red Queen Syndrome" than anything Kim Jong Mentally Ill did himself - the expendable people around him (think the deck of cards) realize just how expendable they are...

And the ball magically apperars in the hole that was just over the ridge of the hill. Doesn't matter that the ball was 25 yards off course and way short of the mark, when it touched down it had a wicked backspin, bounced off two trees and right into the cup.

(Oh, and he hit a Titleist #3 off the tee, but the ball found in the hole was a Ping #1 with a red driving-range stripe... Heck, they're liable to find TWO balls in the cup, and have to palm one to get rid of it.)

If on the other hand Kim had scored 128 for the round the Golf Pro, the people who made the clubs, and all the course greens workers would suddenly be pulled off their (relatively) cush assignments and be picking rice at a collective farm in a far off province - or worse, they could get the 'One Bullet Retirement Plan'.

Someone unlucky enough to be playing in that foursome would have to submarine their own game to make the Dictator look good, without it being obvious that was what they were doing. God forbid you should actually beat the Dictator in a round...

--<< Bruce >>--
Bruce Bergman
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:18 pm

Bruce Bergman wrote:God forbid you should actually beat the Dictator in a round...

--<< Bruce >>--

Why can't I beat the Dictator? I'd even give him the chance to run first!
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wanderwolf on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:49 pm

Kerry Skydancer wrote:Wouldn't be surprising to find out it was true, either. I've been reading the Koran on and off for the past few years - it's slow going. Nothing but rants about how to be pure and clean (by washing your hands off with dirt? I realize they were in a desert, but -really-)

Er, that's not what it says:

"O you who believe! do not go near prayer when you are Intoxicated until you know (well) what you say, nor when you are under an obligation to perform a bath-- unless (you are) travelling on the road-- until you have washed yourselves; and if you are sick, or on a journey, or one of you come from the privy or you have touched the women, and you cannot find water, betake yourselves to pure earth, then wipe your faces and your hands; surely Allah is Pardoning, Forgiving."

Kerry Skydancer wrote: and how Allah hates sinners (which appears to mean everyone who questions Mohammed's bona fides) and how Allah will help them win in the end, and why it's not sinful to lie to infidels...

I'm not a believer in -any- of the standard religions, but this one is in a class by itself for sheer viciousness and stupidity. It doesn't -quite- reach the arrogance of Kim Jong Mental's personal cult (latest news? He just took up golf and scored five holes-in-one his first try at the game - no, I am NOT making this up) but it tries.

Eh. It varies, really. As many scholars have pointed out, the Qu'ran has two Mohammeds in it; the one who teaches Allah is Pardoning, Forgiving and the one who preaches Fire and Brimstone... sometimes within the same text.

As for Kim Jong-il? "It's good to be the king"...

Yours wolfishly,

The bemused,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby JakeWasHere on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:23 am

Kerry Skydancer wrote:Wouldn't be surprising to find out it was true, either. I've been reading the Koran on and off for the past few years - it's slow going. Nothing but rants about how to be pure and clean (by washing your hands off with dirt? I realize they were in a desert, but -really-) and how Allah hates sinners (which appears to mean everyone who questions Mohammed's bona fides) and how Allah will help them win in the end, and why it's not sinful to lie to infidels...

I read the whole thing in less than a week, looking specifically for references to hell and punishment of sinners. The Koran talks about hell more than the KJV, Jerry Falwell, Pat Buchanan, Fred Phelps, and the band Slayer combined.

The God of the Old Testament sounds like a pushover next to Allah. You cannot read this book without becoming afraid of him, even if he bears no resemblance to any God who might actually exist.
JakeWasHere
Regular Poster

Postby Jwrebholz on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:10 am

JakeWasHere wrote:The God of the Old Testament sounds like a pushover next to Allah. You cannot read this book without becoming afraid of him, even if he bears no resemblance to any God who might actually exist.

This, if true, explains quite a bit. A society ruled by fear will never be truly stable. There will always be elements of this society that are, shall we say..out there. The fear they live under manifests itself into hatred. Not knowing where to direct this hatred, they look for a scapegoat.

..never has my signature more applied than now.
^ the above was me sounding like I know WTF I'm talking about.
Jwrebholz
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Under the Lemon Tree