accomidations

accomidations

Postby Shyal_malkes on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:59 am

well, I feel a bit better now.

more of the differences are set down as well as some of the simularities.

personally I hope it's not just a quickie cameo I'd like to see her get a little taste of her own attitude. (many times the worst thing for a person's own ego is taking a look at their personality clone)
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:13 am

I to would like to see mini-Penny again. Also, I woul dl ike to know who sent him the eggs.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Maxgoof on Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:17 am

Isn't Sheldon supposed to say, "Welcome back. You're late"?
Max Goof
"You gotta be loose...relaxed...with your feet apart, and...Ten o'clock. Two o'clock. Quarter to three! Tour jete! Twist! Over! Pas de deux! I'm a little teapot! And the windup...and let 'er fly! The Perfect Cast!" --Goofy
Maxgoof
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:38 am

you don't suppose Ralph made those two scenes look similar on purpose do you? :D
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby The JAM on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:35 am

Not to mention they're on the exact same date. By the way, Happy Yom Kippur!!!
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sariah on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:37 am

I think I'll be able to deal with this retcon. And I'm okay with the egg idea.

And I wonder how mini-Penny actually fit into that egg. :-?
Dirk: What's that?
MacGyver: Lateral Cranial Impact Enhancer. *whack*
Sariah
Regular Poster

Postby Ransom Returns on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:06 am

So we are actually getting an "Earth 2" history lesson. This arc seems to allow the previous arcs that involved other tulpas to involve other goblins, except now we have an entire race of creatures rather than people's minds "budding like an onion."

BTW The author seemed interested in the fact that the posse is now "more like each other" than "everyone else." Is the point of that to set them apart from the rest of the cast, to make them easier to write for, or something else?

And I wonder how mini-Penny actually fit into that egg.

Goblins are made of lime gelitin! Or maybe its a form of the cartoon physics that allow characters to be flattened by a steamroller and live :wink:
Ransom Returns
Regular Poster

Postby SolidusRaccoon on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:22 am

Mmmmmmmmmmm Goblin Omelet
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero

Postby Catherine_Puce on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:25 am

Mini-penny is indeed fun, I hope see him appear. Penny reaction to the hatching will worth it and I imagine that she will storm toward Ben asking for explaination. This will change the dynamic, the goblins of Ben will have no reason to hide anymore to her and Penny's summer risk to be unforgettable.

Don't forget something, Frisky's goblins imply that the eggs are usualy in group. So it's possible that Penny end with several little goblins everyone with a different part of Penny personnality. I'm not sure if everyone is ready to cope with that.

Le problème, c'est qu'il n'y a qu'un moyen de le savoir. :twisted:

S.P.P.
Catherine_Puce
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:28 am

but will they still <a href="http://utlt.comicgenesis.com/d/20010727.html">fluoresce</a> though? :D
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Straw on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:40 am

At first I was a bit confused and maybe little sad but now I'm kinda starting to like the changes. *shrug* ^^

One thought though(because speculation is usually fun). I wonder if the goblins imprint their genders as well based on their 'surrogate mom'. Or maybe the one who sent them to Ben just selected boy eggs.
Straw
Regular Poster

Postby Jaydub on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:36 am

Straw wrote:At first I was a bit confused and maybe little sad but now I'm kinda starting to like the changes. *shrug* ^^

One thought though(because speculation is usually fun). I wonder if the goblins imprint their genders as well based on their 'surrogate mom'. Or maybe the one who sent them to Ben just selected boy eggs.

It could be like the Dragons and fire lizards of PERN where they can tell what kind of dragon it will be in the egg.... thus they could choose only male goblins... :o
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Postby Catherine_Puce on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:59 am

Madmoonie wrote:I to would like to see mini-Penny again. Also, I woul dl ike to know who sent him the eggs.

Maybe it is Warhorse who send them to Ben or maybe the person who send it to Ben is the same one that send it to Warhorse and Frisky. I mean, how many goblin's breeder exist in North America?

Un colis venant d'Europe attire plus l'attention que ça.

S.P.P.
Catherine_Puce
Regular Poster

Postby LoneWolf23k on Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:43 am

Sariah wrote:And I wonder how mini-Penny actually fit into that egg. :-?

Goblins probably expand in Air.

Straw wrote:One thought though(because speculation is usually fun). I wonder if the goblins imprint their genders as well based on their 'surrogate mom'. Or maybe the one who sent them to Ben just selected boy eggs.

I'm guessing they imprint on gender as well. It's the explanation that makes most sense.
LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster

Postby Calbeck on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:55 pm

She's mostly Hollow. That, and vacuum packaging. -:D
Calbeck
Regular Poster

Postby Selden on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:33 pm

Just to cause wild speculation (or at least try to): if mini-Penny isn't a one-shot cameo, she's likely a lot less like Penny than she looks. Consider Ben's posse: is he really very much like Sheldon ("I think Merry might have a crush on me." "HAHAHAHAHA! Stop, it's too much!")? Would he have trapped Zoot in a toilet after that horrible failure of a party if he was at all in-tune with his party side? Gunther was apparently just as repressed as Waarhorses' inner nerd, and Ben really should have had some clue about the conflict between his inner child and his 'cool' if he was in touch with either or both.

Basically, the posse looks like the physical or metaphysical expression of traits that Ben wasn't expressing enough himself. If that could be the case with mini-Penny too, the pair are likely going to be giving themselves major headaches.
Selden
Regular Poster

Postby Capnregex on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:46 pm

SolidusRaccoon wrote:Mmmmmmmmmmm Goblin Omelet

Heh, they probably taste bad. :)
Capnregex
Regular Poster

Postby Vinylrecords4ever on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:39 pm

I'll add another vote for more of Goblin Penny. That would be fun to watch Penny deal with her own Mini-Me. :D
Wait a moment, my 'sniper scope centered on my head' sense is tingling!--Norman the squirrel.
Vinylrecords4ever

Postby Wanderwolf on Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:48 am

Now that we've seen a few things... my own view on the changes revealed thus far. (Yes, I actually say things like "thus far".)

This "new beginning" actually covers a gaping plot hole I've never seen mentioned: Namely, that if the tulpas spawned out of Ben, then why did they first appear at his house, rather than alongside him at work? Notice Piff actually appeared alongside him in the Schlock crossover... even though it's in his mind, it still highlights the issue.

I agree that the new art style isn't to everyone's liking, though it does give the Posse a visual distinctness from the other characters that their small stature didn't. My reaction is noncommital; the new look is distinct, but lessens the impact of each personality facet. (There go the "tortoise and the hare" jokes...)

To be fair, this opens up whole new cans of worms. To wit:

Care and Feeding of Goblins
Goblin Hunting: Finding Your Birth Mother
Dealing with your Gifted Goblin Child (or, how to scrape peanut butter off a cat)

To be even more fair (and extend a small helping hand), goblins reputedly don't eat very much; the traditional "meal" is whole-grain bread (two pieces) and a dish of milk per goblin. Roughly what you'd feed a well-developed mouse and a cat. (Assuming the cat didn't feed on the mouse, of course.)

As to the "imprinting": All that needs to be assumed is that each egg "imprints" on a different schedule, and includes an exclusivity clause. It doesn't make evolutionary sense to have all the goblins of the clutch imprint the same personality; what if the personality isn't viable for the environment in which the egg is hatched?

So, I posit the following:

1. Goblin eggs will not hatch until all eggs of a given clutch are "impressed". This "imprinting" takes at least several minutes of sustained presence, thus preventing one-off imprints by passing animals. (This does mean, of course, that removing goblin eggs from a clutch could hasten or delay the overall birthing time, depending on whether an egg has been imprinted or not.)

2. Once a goblin egg has "imprinted", it releases a bioelectric signal appropriate of its new personality. All other eggs in the clutch, in the presence of the signal, will reject the imprint thus acquired, ensuring variety.

3. Yes, goblin eggs imprint gender as well as personality; since the goblins have no need for "mother's milk", a male is as useful as a female for childrearing, but would present problems when dealing with a different gender. (A different species is tough enough.)

4. After all eggs have been imprinted, the hatching cycle progresses in rough synchronicity. (Note that stillborn eggs will not count toward the "imprint" requirement, as they have no bioelectric aura to start with.)

"Tulpa Master": Note that only Ookami Lobo calls him that. If we assume that he has no experience of goblins (and I challenge you to think of a goblin mom that would consider him a good parent), then his first thought on seeing small beings teleporting in will be, thanks to his Tibetan training, "Tulpas!". Since they are plainly bound to Ben, that would make him the "Tulpa Master". To draw a very rough analogy, it's as though Ash Ketchum saw Doctor Doolittle in action; by the experience of someone from Pokemon-world, Doolittle would be a Pokemon Trainer. Except that he isn't.

In any event, it's better thought-out than the universe of Rod Gallowglass, in which plants and people interbreed... or am I the only one here who's read "The Warlock In Spite Of Himself", by Christopher Stasheff?

Yours truly,

The wolfish, and satisfied for now,

Wanderer

Edit: :oops: Um, pardon me while I make that "childREARing" instead of "childBEARing". Must have bears on the brain, here...
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:03 am

Calbeck wrote:

She's mostly Hollow. That, and vacuum packaging. -:D

Oooooh, I wonder if they are inflatable like Squidge? :D

I've heard of sucking eggs but didn't think they meant those. :shucks:
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Under the Lemon Tree