Paint Community - Round 1

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.
Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero

Post by Stinkywigfiddle »

Updated. Click here to see the whole world

KatNorth
Previous points: 6
+6 for the update
Total points: 12

Mort
Previous points: 20
+2 for the update.
Tota points: 22
Last edited by Stinkywigfiddle on Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Post by Garneta »

rkolter wrote:Holy shit, someone came up with something even more dangerous than me!

I knew I liked you for a reason Kat. :D
:D
Image Image Image

The Mortician
Cartoon Hero

Post by The Mortician »

I guess Rock is getting my points now. Image

Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero

oops...
ImageImage

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

There's too much awesomeness in such small space.

It'd be funny if there was a way to do that realtime... so like that you could see people lifting buildings and stuff.

Aeridus
Cartoon Hero

Post by Aeridus »

Doesn't Flash have an "animate" option? It's not as good as hand-done animation, but maybe it would be interesting for transitional scenes between different stages.
Village Idiot Vs World webcomic and other works of art

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer

Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero

I'd try that wiki idea if I knew how or could even figure it out.

No update today, looks like.
ImageImage

YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero

Post by YarpsDat »

ZOMG Thiz iz soooo kewl!

I have a couple ideas too!

1) Purchasing the land: divide the land into lots, assign point value to each, and sell them whole, instead of selling the land by pixels - someone suggested that before, and I think that's a good idea.
The dividing line is a 1 pixel buffer between lots, unless both owners agree. (or if both lots are owned by the same person)

1a) Some lots would be nominated start spots, they'd be available for free to new players, and for exorbitate price for other players.

1b) You could buy a lot next to your territory for regular price, and a distant lot for double price.

1c) Since you assign prices, you can make cool places, or places with stuff, cost more.

2) Earning points.
Of course, it's basically an attempt to codify and measure artistic merit and things like gameplay and community value, so it's a pretty much lost cause, but still, I have some ideas:

2a) One idea would be to rate changes by size,complexity, style and staying in character.

Size and complexity go together, basically it's an estimate of how long it took to draw/inwent. It's rated from 1 (eg. drawing 2 red pixels and calling that an apple), through 2 (eg. small thing), 3 (medium size thing, or a really cool small thing), 4(something big and cool) to 5 (Extremly complicated, shaded and stuff and huge structure)

The style and staying in character estimate how well it fits into the paint world.
It goes from +2 (growth/development of a pre-existing item), +1(appropriate item), 0 (slightly weird), -1 (slightly random), -2 (completly random or plain wrong)

And the point score would be awarded according to a table like this:

Code: Select all

1    2    3    4    5
+2     +2   +4   +6   +8   +10
+1     +1   +2   +3   +4   +5
 0     0    +1   +2   +3   +4
-1*    0    -1   -1   -2   -2
-2*    -2   -2   -3   -3   -4
*(for negative style scores, only the size would matter, not complexity)

It could also help the economy.
Let's say rkolter created these bird-horse-trees, and you want one to ride your obstacle course.
You could create one: -2 (wrong for stealing... UNLESS of you're another mad scientist spying on rkolter with a telescope, or something. Then it's +1 for staying in character) size 3, style -2 -> value -3 points.

Or you could buy one from rkolter for 1 point...

2b) An other, though similar idea would be to substract points during "construction" based on the size, and LATER award points for technical value and artistic impression.

(See included file for graphs) (Artistic impression is anywhere between 0 to 10 points)

The downside is that the world could get quite inert untill people amassed some points.
Some cool feats would be impossible (like a mysterious castle growing over night).
And it'd be heading towards a game and away from collaboration project.

So, like, these are my ideas.

'n stuff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

JTorch
Regular Poster

Post by JTorch »

YarpsDat wrote:ZOMG Thiz iz soooo kewl!

I have a couple ideas too!

1) Purchasing the land: divide the land into lots, assign point value to each, and sell them whole, instead of selling the land by pixels
We've been doing that, and then you buy pixels next to the lot that you bought.
YarpsDat wrote: 1a) Some lots would be nominated start spots, they'd be available for free to new players, and for exorbitate price for other players.
We've been doing that too, minus allowing other players to buy them.
There's a Civilization on my Fork - Updates Sometimes

Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero

Should it be time to start round 2 or do you all still want to do stuff with this one?
ImageImage

The Mortician
Cartoon Hero

Post by The Mortician »

Personally, I would like to start again, maybe different land... it seems weird jumping into "instant robot" if progress seems more interesting. As long as you don't mind me redoing the giant mech robot (as a progress thing).

MoonMistGuardian
Regular Poster

Post by MoonMistGuardian »

Yes!
me too... I'd like to start over too.... maybe find some new items for the museum? 8-)
so cold

Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero

I already have new land made.

But I think we should hear from the other big players before I make this official.
ImageImage

Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Post by Garneta »

Well, I really can't think of anything to do for mine that would top the pyroclastic blast...so I wouldn't mind if you started a new one. Might sit the next one out, though...make room for new players, and take the time to work on my comic instead!
Image Image Image

JTorch
Regular Poster

Post by JTorch »

I don't know if I'm considered a "big player", but I was one of the first players and the first to submit anything to the museum. Does that count for anything? D:

I haven't really had time to update my land at all in this round, but my schedule looks better now, so I'd have plenty of time if you wanted to start another round.

Also, shouldn't this be in the gaming forum now? It is a game after all. (And a fun one at that :) )
There's a Civilization on my Fork - Updates Sometimes

Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero

JTorch wrote:I don't know if I'm considered a "big player", but I was one of the first players and the first to submit anything to the museum. Does that count for anything? D:
Yeah, sorry. I guess I should have said "other players" instead of "big players."
ImageImage

The Mortician
Cartoon Hero

Post by The Mortician »

Haha, I so missed that. :XD

Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Post by Rkolter »

I didn't run out of ideas - I ran out of land to put them in. I really didn't want to break up stuff I'd made because I thought it was cool. So... yeah, I'm for Round Two.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

Rkolter

Post by Rkolter »

I would like to make another two suggestions:

1) Limit points. You mentioned you might stinky.

2) Allocate more, smaller plots of land and do away with the 'buy a pixel' thing (just a thought - makes it less confusing)

3) Much wider distances between starting positions. We didn't do much with each other as neighbors, so having the extra land means we can widen our works without chewing into land someone else may want.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero

Alright then. Round 1 is now closed.

I'll be starting a new thread for the next round, I guess.
ImageImage