So what's the fascination with Manga/Anime?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

Astroboy, Kimba the White Lion, and Gigantor were shown in America before Speed Racer, but things didn't start getting into full swing until the late 80s or very early 90s, I'd guess.

Neko would probably know more about this than I do.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

User avatar
Ayame Ex_Goddess
Regular Poster
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:28 am
Location: Currently in low orbit over Southern Madagaskar
Contact:

Post by Ayame Ex_Goddess »

I would like to interject really quick that I disagree that manga is much easier to draw than european style (I know it was covered awhile ago, but I think it needs to be said). I mean, I did a newspaper comic for three years that was more of a conventional cartoonish style and it took me 1/10th of the time to crank out something. Manga may 'appear' easy to draw, but it's not easy to draw 'well' and you can get fast at drawing ANYTHING if you never draw anything else.

And you mentioned that a comic with 'manga' in the description automatically gets hits? Well, that NEVER happened for me, could it mean I suck? Most probably. But I'll bet if I had put VIDEO GAMES as the genre and basically copied Penny Arcade I'd get about 1,000,000 more hits a day than I do now.

...Okay, I am calm now. Disengaging 'Rant' mode...

Seriously, it's easy to make generalizations based on dozens of people who read Naruto and One Piece, but it's just as easy to point out that the new 'thing' is copying Jhonen Vasquez not only in style, but in substance. I can't even BEGIN to tell you how many times I've had to see rehashes of that stupid 'flying pig' joke.

I might have missed the point of this entirely, but then, I am one of the people who's being generalized here, and I do take a (very) little pride in my work.
-"Tune In" to Newscast-
Image
http://newscast.comicgenesis.com

THERE'S A SKIDMARK ON THE CEILING!
-Crow T. Robot (MST3K: Boggy Creek 2)

User avatar
Kirb
A BUSINESSSS MAAAAAAAAANNNNNN
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 am
Location: I'll wrestle you for him.
Contact:

Post by Kirb »

jesslynstormheart wrote:Those are some interesting examples, MercuryHat. I wouldn't have pegged those as Manga on first glance. They seem to have branched away a little from the typical style. Of course, I'm no expert.
You really shouldn't assume that there is one overlaying style (huge eyes, small mouth) in anime and manga. It's like assuming that all american comics are all based off of Stan Lee's work or something. It only shows me that you haven't really explored the genre.
But hey, what about that old cartoon, "Speed Racer"? That was made before I was even born. Way before anyone ever thought of anime or manga but there are definite similarities. I wonder if Speed Racer was the initial seed that sparked the whole anime storm?
In Japan or America? As Merc says, Astroboy, Kimba and Gigantor were shown in America before Speed Racer, but frankly, I would say the movie Akira led the way for growing anime popularity in the west in 1988. Mainly because of its excellent animation and darker storyline.

But manga in Japan has been around since... I'd say about the 1940s. Then came along the good Doctor Tezuka, who single-handedly jumpstarted the entire manga industry with his mangas Blackjack, Astroboy, Dororo and Kimba in the early 50s.


SEE I KNOW STUFF TOO
ImageImage
*^*^*^*^* http://spacejunkarlia.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Comic
*^*^*^*^* http://deadgeargame.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Game
Image Best Compliment: MrBob: "Kirb may suck, but at least he isn't annoying."
Image

User avatar
Jops
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1951
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:55 am
Location: Zzyzx Rd.
Contact:

Post by Jops »

Maybe someone already pointed this out, if so sorry, but i didn't notice when scannign the thread.
Anyway, I think this also contributes in making manga so popular:

The fact that manga characters generally tend to have big eyes and large mouths (or eventually tiny, but grow exaggerately large if they're shouting/screaming/yawning/jawdroppin and so on).
Now, one's mood/feeling is mostly experessed (in a purely visual way) by the shape of the mouth and the eyes. So, having these two facial features oversized, although they may feel weird at first, makes it more immediate for the reader to get the character's feelings... and it's also a lot easyer for the arstist to reperesnt them properly.
Jops

Image Image

User avatar
Des
Regular Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:30 am
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Contact:

Post by Des »

Kirb wrote: But manga in Japan has been around since... I'd say about the 1940s. Then came along the good Doctor Tezuka, who single-handedly jumpstarted the entire manga industry with his mangas Blackjack, Astroboy, Dororo and Kimba in the early 50s.
Hehe, actually the term "manga" and graphic stories were around back in the Edo period of Japan. But yeah, that's modern day manga you're talking about ^^ (See! Asian art history DID teach me something!)

Ayame: I really truely believe that GOOD Japanese comic style is much harder to draw because the basics are skewed. Anime is a VERY stylized style. Its like trying to learn anatomy from Micky Mouse, its just not gonna happen.

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Actually, I make a distinction between Tezuka and modern manga. Modern manga originated from American comic artists establishing schools in Japan after World War II. I mean, if you take the japanese style of comics before that period, and then applied it towards the American school of comics, you can really see how modern stylizations came about. I kind of wished that the schools came in much later so that the old style could establish itself more. It really disappeared after that.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

RA wrote:
MinekaC: you obviously haven't read any good comic books. Try Sandman, or Transmetropolitan, or something. :s Sure there are a lot of comic book superheroes, but even so a lot of comic book superheroes have to be more interesting to avoid being typical. Batman's "hush" series and ...ho shi, forget the artist's name but it's a big book called "kingdom come" and is very nice and is ALL superheroes.
Or Watchmen. Now THERE is an excellent graphic novel. I avoided it because I thought it was one of those classics that everyone praises, but isn't very good when you actually sit down with it.

I was soooo wrong.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Mr.Bob wrote:I know, but it seems that no one's taken a serious interest into translating the works of a lot of European artists into English.
I couldn't believe when I heard that aproximately half of Corto Maltese's albums has never been translated in English. :o You can't really know how good comics can be till you've read freaking Corto Maltese! USA generally seems to suffer from being hermetic to the rest of the world, or that's at least impression I got. Comics don't get translated and films get stuffed next to porn.
Things are much better for comics in west Europe, it seems. It's where comics are really anknowledged as art and there's no that belief that comics are for children. It's not that commercial crap isn't the most popular thing in France too, but while in USA good authors mostly linger in underground, in France they are placed in shop windows.
I can't really advocate anyone that sulks and complains about how "there's no good comics".
This thread got me thinking. Can anyone remember the first time they saw the manga style? My first memory was seeing a comic called 'Metal Bikini' when I was a teenager. I was thinking, "Whoah, that's kinda hot." Probably about the same time "Dirty Pair" was around.
I think it was '89 or something when I was watching Macros and other stuff on satellite TV. Then some time later dubbed "Robotech" on our channels.

User avatar
Kirb
A BUSINESSSS MAAAAAAAAANNNNNN
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 am
Location: I'll wrestle you for him.
Contact:

Post by Kirb »

Des wrote:Hehe, actually the term "manga" and graphic stories were around back in the Edo period of Japan. But yeah, that's modern day manga you're talking about ^^ (See! Asian art history DID teach me something!)
I guess it was a good thing I was referring to modern manga and not woodcut prints from the 1600s then.

Mr. Bob wrote:I know, but it seems that no one's taken a serious interest into translating the works of a lot of European artists into English.
Asterix is something I've always wanted to read, but it's rather hard to come across actual translated books. I'm not even sure if they exist.
ImageImage
*^*^*^*^* http://spacejunkarlia.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Comic
*^*^*^*^* http://deadgeargame.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Game
Image Best Compliment: MrBob: "Kirb may suck, but at least he isn't annoying."
Image

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

Funny about that. Asterix is (together with that tuft haired boy reporter) the only exception to that, in being that it exists in about 35 languages worldwide. Now those guys at least knew how to market.
However I find this irritating becuase, usually, that's the only title outsiders can think of as far as the Continental European scene is concerned. Asterix is good, but it isn't GREAT. And yet there're are loads of people who love it but remain unaware that it really is the tip of the iceberg even as far as Asterix's writer and artist are concerned, let alone the thousand of other brilliant comics.

User avatar
Kirb
A BUSINESSSS MAAAAAAAAANNNNNN
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 am
Location: I'll wrestle you for him.
Contact:

Post by Kirb »

That's a shame. Hopefully european comics will have a surge in popularity like manga. I'd like to read the stuff.
ImageImage
*^*^*^*^* http://spacejunkarlia.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Comic
*^*^*^*^* http://deadgeargame.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Game
Image Best Compliment: MrBob: "Kirb may suck, but at least he isn't annoying."
Image

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

Get yourself to the cookout and I'll bring my Asterix collection for you to peruse Kirb. Until a few years ago I didn't even know Asterix was made by Europeans.

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

Mr.Bob wrote:Funny about that. Asterix is (together with that tuft haired boy reporter) the only exception to that, in being that it exists in about 35 languages worldwide. Now those guys at least knew how to market.
However I find this irritating becuase, usually, that's the only title outsiders can think of as far as the Continental European scene is concerned. Asterix is good, but it isn't GREAT. And yet there're are loads of people who love it but remain unaware that it really is the tip of the iceberg even as far as Asterix's writer and artist are concerned, let alone the thousand of other brilliant comics.
Heh heh! I grew up on Asterix and Obelix. But you're right...I havn't read their other stuff. I should!

Also grew up on Tintin.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Post by Ahaugen »

i'm starting to think that this interest in japanese comics stems from white guilt and the thought pattern of everything in the 20th century that whitey has "touched" has turned to total crap, the "pure" manga is much better (and it's also why fanboys go apeshit when whitey messes with it)
Vorticus wrote:Get yourself to the cookout and I'll bring my Asterix collection for you to peruse Kirb. Until a few years ago I didn't even know Asterix was made by Europeans.
i've known about Asterix since jr. high, but that was only because of a french class i was forced to take that didn't teach me a damn thing about french ... some day i'll tell you the story, but in a more appropriate thread.
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

The only translated European comics I can think of are Asterix, Tin Tin, Lucky Luke and Blacksad. Which makes me sad. Because I'm terrible at French.

Also, don't read the newer Asterixs. Falling Sky involves spaceships, aliens and superhero look alikes :/.

User avatar
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6334
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:15 pm
Location: in your grandpa's clothes, I look incredible
Contact:

Post by Sortelli »

And Mickey Mouse.

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

Asterix NZ read it so I didn't have to.

Post by Cope »

...and a manga samurai/cockroach thing!
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
Berg
Regular Poster
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:36 pm
Location: Mora di!

Post by Berg »

Wasn't the latest Asterix pretty much just ignorant manga-bashing and stereotyping?

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

ahaugen wrote:i'm starting to think that this interest in japanese comics stems from white guilt and the thought pattern of everything in the 20th century that whitey has "touched" has turned to total crap, the "pure" manga is much better (and it's also why fanboys go apeshit when whitey messes with it)
That or the people who make it can't make anything good to begin with, so why should it be any different with manga? If someone can't draw, or can't write, changing the style won't fix what's already broken.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
EvilChihuahua
Regular Poster
Posts: 720
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:59 pm
Location: Canadaland
Contact:

Post by EvilChihuahua »

The library here used to have a lot of Asterix and Tintin (They've probably all fallen apart now), and I used to love them. Also, as to where they were made, I believe it was Belgium.
note: any l337 used in the previous post was used ony to avoid the poster's Cybersitter. Image

Post Reply