Bill Murray birthday thread.

The place where no good punk-asses and aimless hipsters come to discuss a rather lousy comic.
Giff
Regular Poster

Bill Murray birthday thread.

Post by Giff »

Yo Duff,

was wondering if drawing Lori sans makeup and in her hungover state was a fairly difficult thing at all? Had you previously been able to envision her like this or is it something that you had to draw and redraw?

jus' wonderin'

peace,

Ian
"...you see... your nirvana is kinda boring while my nirvana is so hot that not even Courtney Love could kill it" - Ghastly's Ghastly Comic!

Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Post by Yeahduff »

Wasn't too difficult, really. I had to reference the smeared eye make up, but her with and without make up is pretty similar to draw. Make up consists of some hatching and some closed lines.

That hair, on the other hand, was a pain, and I'm pretty sure I screwed it up. Oh well.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

Giff
Regular Poster

Post by Giff »

Hey... can you actually smoke in restaurants in Chicago?

They outlawed all of that (to a huge extreme) in Ontario a couple of years ago... when I was smoking I hated it but now... not so much!
"...you see... your nirvana is kinda boring while my nirvana is so hot that not even Courtney Love could kill it" - Ghastly's Ghastly Comic!

Kerinbot
Regular Poster

Smoking in buildings...

Post by Kerinbot »

I don't know about Chicago, but I know you can still smoke in restaurants in Kansas (at least the last time I visited).

One of the things I love about California is that not only in restaurants, but pretty much ANYWHERE, no smoking in buildings, unless it's an officially designated smoking area, that NO ONE (even waitresses or janitors or something) will be required to go into.

Let me give you my favorite analogy: Given the choice, where do you swim... the "Peeing" or "Non-peeing" end of the pool?

Yeah, one end is worse than the other... but the other's not enough better to matter.

TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Chicago is being all namby pamby about it. They were gonna outlaw it, but now there's a grace period or something that some places follow. Just outlaw it outright or don't already.

They tried to ban transfats, but that got shot down.

PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Post by PortableNuke »

How were they proposing to do that exactly? That's like banning iron in blood.

TheSuburbanLetdown

Sorta. Most transfats are man-made and have no real benfit. Still, banning it would be foolish. I can understand the smoking ban since it affects people around the smoker in question, but transfats only affect the person eating it.

Yeahduff

Post by Yeahduff »

Giff wrote:Hey... can you actually smoke in restaurants in Chicago?

They outlawed all of that (to a huge extreme) in Ontario a couple of years ago... when I was smoking I hated it but now... not so much!
You cannot, only in bars. In Eight to One time, though, it's just something they're talking about.

My opinion is that there should be places where grown adults who can make their own decisions are allowed to smoke while having a cup of coffee. Sure, Walgreens, the DMV, and the hospital can be smoke-free. But the neighborhood pub, the seedy 24-hour diner, and Walmart? These are not places you should go to if you're concerned about your health. If there's a demand for smoke-free businesses, than places can voluntarily ban smoking. There are a couple successful places that have pulled it off just fine. If you like to pee in pools, you should be able to do so where people don't mind swimming with a little urine.

Giff
Regular Poster

Post by Giff »

yeahduff wrote: But the neighborhood pub, the seedy 24-hour diner, and Walmart? These are not places you should go to if you're concerned about your health. If there's a demand for smoke-free businesses, than places can voluntarily ban smoking. There are a couple successful places that have pulled it off just fine. If you like to pee in pools, you should be able to do so where people don't mind swimming with a little urine.
this is pretty much what the general feeling amongst the working class Joe here in Canada, however, the government went all out. You can't have covered outdoor areas for smokers... any patio umbrellas have to be a certain distance away from others and definitely cannot touch. You can only have a specific amout of umbrellas on your patio etc. etc.

I think it's really dumb. I quit 4 months ago so it doesn't bother me as much anymore. It used to though!

TheSuburbanLetdown

I want the governement to regulate all aspects of my life because I don't know what I'm doing.

PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Post by PortableNuke »

yeahduff wrote:If you like to pee in pools, you should be able to do so where people don't mind swimming with a little urine.
I'm sure, somewhere, there is a group dedicated to that idea. :)

Isn't that basically a lake?

TheSuburbanLetdown

Some pools have a chemical that congeals urine so that it may be scooped up easily. And it identifies who peed.

Nicked
Regular Poster

Post by Nicked »

An odd question that's been raised in the NW (I think Washington)is about hookah bars. Yeah, smoking has been banned in all buildings, but what about bars where smoking is the main attraction? CURIOUS!
<a href="http://pos.comicgen.com">Property of Scott</a>

PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Post by PortableNuke »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:Some pools have a chemical that congeals urine so that it may be scooped up easily. And it identifies who peed.
The infamous green cloud, or whatever color it is. I haven't seen it in person, but I've heard about it. The oddest thing I've seen in a pool is a turd that luckily sunk.

TheSuburbanLetdown

PortableNuke wrote:
PeppermintAfterlife wrote:Some pools have a chemical that congeals urine so that it may be scooped up easily. And it identifies who peed.
The infamous green cloud, or whatever color it is. I haven't seen it in person, but I've heard about it. The oddest thing I've seen in a pool is a turd that luckily sunk.
I don't care if it sinks or floats. There's no way in hell I'm sharing a pool with a turd.

I think the green cloud is called "Wee-be-gone." Or so said a life guard friend of mine a long time ago.

PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Post by PortableNuke »

The turd was found afterwards when they were cleaning it. The saw it on the bottom at the deep end, and wondered what it was. Still sick though.

TheSuburbanLetdown

EWW.

I remember hearing somewhere that if your turds float, that means you're healthy. They sink if you're not.

Col
Cartoon Villain

Post by Col »

Someone snuck a Babyruth to the bottom of the pool before swim practice to get it cancelled one time.

PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Post by PortableNuke »

Wasn't that a prank in a movie? Some kids released a Babyruth in a pool then the camera followed it as it floated around and everyone jumped out of it's way. I think the jaws theme was playing too.

PAL: I've heard that too. If you have enought iron then they sink, but if you don't they float. I'm not sure about how true it is though.

Yeahduff

Post by Yeahduff »

Caddyshack. Or maybe it was Meatballs. Bill Murray was in it. And it was an accident.