Reset Forum Points?

From Do Not Reply to Put it in Context, various forum-related games are found here.

Reset forum points?

Reset June 1st
29%
Reset June 15th
No votes
Reset July 1st
8%
Reset, just not in the next month
63%

Total votes: 24

Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Reset Forum Points?

Post by Kisai »

Hey guys, If you want the points reset, or not vote here. It was my intention to reset it monthly, but I missed the mark last time.

Spiral Zer0
Regular Poster

Post by Spiral Zer0 »

what are points used for?

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

They are postcounts only for this forum.

Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Post by Mo »

Noo, no reset! :(

Turnsky
Cartoon Hero

Post by Turnsky »

Cookie wrote:Noo, no reset! :(
HOLY SHIZNIT, Woman, you've certainly clocked up one helluva milage! :o
"when a hero dies, he becomes a legend, that legend, with time, becomes a myth, then a fable, that fable, is then carved in stone, and when that stone crumbles, it is lost" - Takahn.

Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero

Post by Garneta »

For the love of God, let Cookie keep her gamepoints!!!!

I voted reset June 1st, but I don't really care either way.
Image Image Image

Wishmaster
Regular Poster

what's on second, who's on point?

Post by Wishmaster »

Personally, I preferred the games forum when it didn't have points and it didn't add to your postcount, simply because it meant that those who were here actually wanted to play the games. Shortly after the point thing went into effect there was an explosion of "point whoring" in predictable circle jerks of three or four players.

I suppose it's just a difference in game playing philosophy. If the point of the game forum is to get more points, fine, but we could all just see who can recite the alphabet the mostest fastererest if we want to be boring about it. I prefer quality of gameplay and it seemed to me that is what went down with the advent of the points.

Mind you, the counterweight to all this is that more people started playing when points were instituted, so it wasn't all bad. Numbers, awards, etc., being the whole point of games, appeal to people, hence interest in games and, specifically, the phenomenon of post whorage to begin with.

So, yeah, it's a mixed bag. Long story short, I go for the count resetting each month. I imagine the top slots will generally be occupied by the same folks as when points were cumulative, but here and there you might get the surprise gamester of the month. Good gaming would be more easily distinguished from whorage. If there were a no point, no postcount option for games I would vote for that.
ImageImage

Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Post by Mo »

I have an idea whom you're referring to, but whatever. In all honesty, I really don't care. I'm getting bored of drama about post whoring, point whoring, etc. :roll:

When I feel like playing, I'll play. These days, I'm bored of the games and forum stuff in general and have no time anyway. Whether or not the points will be reset won't affect that. The date of resetting doesn't really matter either, I think, so I don't see why we'd need a poll about that.

Anyway, carry on.

Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ekolter »

I play as a stress reliver after a long day. I see how points can lead to some whoring and honesty, I can care less about the points. I'm in for the games.

I guess to each their own.

Wishmaster
Regular Poster

Post by Wishmaster »

Naming names seems both tactless and redundant. It was just an honest opinion that pointed out both the good and the bad of the current system. Names were not what occurred to me, rather it was a noticeable difference in the style of play after points. If this poll is related to some other greater drama about attention whoring, I was unaware of it.
ImageImage

Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Post by Mo »

wishmaster wrote:It was just an honest opinion that pointed out both the good and the bad of the current system.
You are entitled to your opinion. "Good" and "bad" are highly subjective terms, of course. :)
I enjoy playing for points, I don't see what's wrong with that. But like I said - I don't really care.
I prefer quality of gameplay and it seemed to me that is what went down with the advent of the points.
I don't see how the "quality" changed really. The only thing that changed is that more people post more often, as you pointed out. We're still playing the same games we played before there were points. The "one word thread", the "word association game", and the "last post wins thread" - just to name a few - never struck me as "quality" games in the first place. Whether people post 5 posts a day in a pointless thread or 20 doesn't affect the game's quality when there is no quality anyway. However, there is no quality control in forum games, a fact that, in my opinion, adds to the lighthearted spirit of this forum.

People already complained about the quality of GD and OT (hence endless discussions about postwhoring in the recent past), and those discussions did more harm than they did good (my humble opinion) and were rather fruitless (unless you call an increase in drunk posting an increase in quality); that's basically why I reacted so strongly to your post.

When I want to play quality games, I play chess or card games that require a decent amount of thinking and strategy. When I play forum games, I usually don't do it for intellectual stimulation; I do it because I'm bored, or when I need a break from work. I guess I just don't share your expectations in this matter.

Anyway, it's probably not a good idea to dwell much more on this... I don't want Kisai to get angry at us for going off-topic in a simple poll thread.

Wishmaster
Regular Poster

Post by Wishmaster »

Cookie wrote:When I want to play quality games, I play chess or card games that require a decent amount of thinking and strategy. When I play forum games, I usually don't do it for intellectual stimulation; I do it because I'm bored, or when I need a break from work. I guess I just don't share your expectations in this matter.
*shrugs* Almost all forum games are, by the very nature of the venue, word games. Which means I naturally assocate them with thinking and mental exercise; thought, letters, and speech being closely connected. Like I said, a difference in gameplay philosophy.
ImageImage

Mr.Bob
:(
:(

Post by Mr.Bob »

I never posted here until the point system was introduced.

[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero

Post by [AlmightyPyro] »

I think points are cool. I just found out we had them. :P
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.

VileTerror
Anti-Villain
Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.

Pointage.

Post by VileTerror »

I say keep the points and never reset. That way I can accurately gauge how many "real" posts someone has made. ie: subtract Points from Total Posts.

!!!
Oh, gawd damn it! This post was worth a point? BLAH! I've sullied my record.
Haughty spirit and pride make for a wild roller coaster ride!
I mean, as long as you like fairly final endings.

Warren
Cartoon Hero

Post by Warren »

Meh. I've been around for enough forums crashes (and have lost more posts than most people even have) that I couldn't care less anymore.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

TalonLeuco

Post by TalonLeuco »

I don't think you should reset points, my normal post count got docked huge time, I've practicly started over see, 2 posts, i know i had many-maaany more then that, if you reset the points it will look like I dont post at all now,well, i havent recently, but I intend to, :)
Triumphant return!

Rusty Knight
Regular Poster

Go with the Flow!

Post by Rusty Knight »

I think that I will be like a dead fish on this matter.
ImageImageImage
My amazing avatar is by Black Sparrow
"Rusty Knight. A charitable heart who has spared the forum the untold horror that is his webcomic." ~ Yeahduff

Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Post by Kisai »

Hows about resetting on new years day?

Rusty Knight
Regular Poster

Post by Rusty Knight »

Is it really needed to reset those points which we have earned here? ...I mean I have more or less alienated myself from alot of people to get as much as I have... ...not that it will do me any good...
ImageImageImage
My amazing avatar is by Black Sparrow
"Rusty Knight. A charitable heart who has spared the forum the untold horror that is his webcomic." ~ Yeahduff