start-from-pen style

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Post Reply
User avatar
Hale
Regular Poster
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL
Contact:

start-from-pen style

Post by Hale »

What do you guys think of this style? And don't freak out about the comic length. That's just how I roll 8-)
http://tofustyle.comicgenesis.com/d/20060512.html

EDIT: I've decided to try a quick coloring technique, please let this thread die and check this out: http://forums.comicgenesis.com/viewtopic.php?t=74063
Last edited by Hale on Sat May 20, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

It has an unfinished feel to it that I'm not sure if I like, or if it leaves me wanting a touch more detail. :-? I think I'll go with the 'please give a touch more detail' one.

And AAAAGHHH! THE SIZE! IT PWNZ MY 1024X1280 SCREEN! :wink:
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

Ehhhh...a little overly sketchy to me.

Sketchiness can be fine, but it just looks kind of sloppy/quickly done in your comic, not stylish.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
Hale
Regular Poster
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL
Contact:

Post by Hale »

I agree. I've been working on refining it some more, doing a few sketches here and there. How're these? They're unfinished doodles, but I think I'm refining things: more detail, less sketchy... well, I'm trying to make em less sketchy...
ImageImage
Image
EDIT: now that I look at it, that last one is kind of a silly pose...

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

The sketches are looking better, but they still have an unfinished-looking quality to them (I mean, in the parts that aren't obviously unfinished). I think that part of the problem is that there are lines (e.g. the one running down the woman's face in the first sketch) that look like un-erased guidelines instead of being just neat-looking sketchy outlines.

Contradictory as it may sound, you still need to clean them up a little to achieve a proper "sketchy" look.

User avatar
Hale
Regular Poster
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL
Contact:

Post by Hale »

Keffria wrote:I think that part of the problem is that there are lines that look like un-erased guidelines instead of being just neat-looking sketchy outlines.
That in mind, I tried using some very light pencil led to do a rough outline sketch and then go over the pencils in the same stroke style (see hamstructo), but I think this ends up being TOO clean and without detail. It's sort of halves the sketchiness and makes it just look sloppy.

I think part of it is psycological... which is why I like to start from pen; it's like boldly diving into a drawing with a hit-or-miss attitude. In most of the areas, the guidelines make for an interesting look. I like that, but in other areas, I think maybe I should work on cleaning them up as well. Thanks :)
Attachments
hamstructo.gif
hamstructo.gif (40.86 KiB) Viewed 664 times
ImageImage

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

I do like the second set better hale, both for the cleaner "sketchiness" and the smaller size.

I'd read a comic drawn like that.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Hale
Regular Poster
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL
Contact:

Post by Hale »

rkolter wrote:I do like the second set better hale, both for the cleaner "sketchiness" and the smaller size.

I'd read a comic drawn like that.
I've been meaning to get around to making this comic called "slugz." It's a single frame comic of basically silly situations of little slugs beating eachoter senseless and just whatever I might find funny.

I've been using tons of different styles and basically decided to hold off on the project until I found one suitable for the strip. Here are some old ones, the "robot -vs- ninja" one is the most recent, with the style I've been developing on this thread.

Do you think the newest style could work?
Attachments
slugz-1.gif
slugz-1.gif (34.04 KiB) Viewed 637 times
slugz-2.gif
slugz-2.gif (12.21 KiB) Viewed 637 times
slugz.gif
slugz.gif (42.06 KiB) Viewed 647 times
Last edited by Hale on Sun May 14, 2006 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

User avatar
Hale
Regular Poster
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL
Contact:

Post by Hale »

and here are the rest. Ignore the urls.
Attachments
slugz-4.gif
slugz-4.gif (20.25 KiB) Viewed 628 times
slugz-5.gif
slugz-5.gif (29.07 KiB) Viewed 628 times
terrorist.gif
terrorist.gif (17.1 KiB) Viewed 628 times
ImageImage

Post Reply