RP Setting Discussion

A place for readers of the comic to interact with each other. Also a continuation of a related RPG.

What setting would you like to play in?

Fantasy
No votes
Post-Apocalyptic
100%
Modern Day
No votes
Futuristic/Sci Fi
No votes
Play within the comic's setting (same school, city, etc)
No votes
Other (post alternative)
No votes

Total votes : 2

RP Setting Discussion

Postby PhoenixIncarnate on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:54 pm

This thread is for discussing the setting in which the main RP will be set up.

This thread is temporary; it will be locked once a final consensus has been reached. Further changes to the environment can be done through story or request; this is merely for setting the foundation.

First question; Keep setting or not? I actually have an in-depth setting in mind that I'd like to suggest. I could have sworn I had collaborated with Sniper on this, but not only does he not remember, but I can't find the files that I could have sworn I saved. I won't post the idea within the first post because I'd like to encourage others to voice their ideas to this thread.
Last edited by PhoenixIncarnate on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
What if nobody ever asked "what if?"

http://phoenixincarnate.comicgenesis.com
PhoenixIncarnate
Regular Poster

Location: If you are READING this, you know where in PA I am.

Postby Bassist159 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:21 am

First of the old Keepsters reporting, sah.

And I think we reached that ruling already. Keep's not going to work. But I'll refrain from pitching any ideas until we get more people around.
Bassist159

Postby PhoenixIncarnate on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:11 am

I've added a poll to help decide which general setting to play in. Please don't just vote; also post to the thread and offer some ideas about the setting you've chosen. (Just because you've voted for one doesn't mean you can't be partial for another; just say your for other ideas in your post).

I haven't voted yet because, frankly, I haven't decided myself. Right now it's a toss up between fantasy, post-apocalyptic, and within the comic itself. The setting I haven't explained yet is strictly fantasy, but unfortunately it doesn't conect very well with our old characters so if we wanted to make some sort of bridge to the original Keep it would be tough. I still don't want to explain it yet because it's very long and involved - it's essentially a completely fabricated new world that nobody's used yet, not even me.

For post-apocalyptic, I have only a few ideas for post-apocalyptic, which include Carrie returning as a full-blown necromancer (None of which directly has anything to do with the story I'm writing now. Rather, it's an idea in development for a possible continuation of the story past the ending I have set). I don't think I'd use her as my main character though; she'd be a recurring villain. There are bridges between the comic and the Keep, so this is sort-of possible.

Within the comic itself is a possibility because West Isthmus is a much bigger school than it seems. I know I've only ever drawn the main characters and have yet to show any other students, but they're out there. It's also a very big city, and with magic thrown into the mix, there's quite more potential for that setting as a web RP setting than I thought. This setting is even more easily bridge to the Keep; I've set the comic on Sniper's world Homestead, which the Keep is in contact with. The problem, though, is this setting would become primarily furry which not everybody may like.
Last edited by PhoenixIncarnate on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PhoenixIncarnate
Regular Poster

Postby Bassist159 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:29 am

The thing is, I don't think a lot of us want to bridge to the Keep. If I read correctly, Sil said something to the effect of that. I know Mwinzi can't - his characters have been re-written entirely for a novel he has in mind, and using them here (or anywhere else) would ruin it.

Besides, as your little saga proved (which I'm calling Crisis on Infinite Keeps until you can give me a different name for it), the characters just are extensions, for the old timers. As the Keep no longer exists, it just wouldn't work the same.

Anyways, as far as setting goes? Well, post-apocalyptic would work, as would sci-fi. Pure fantasy settings...aren't my bag, but they are doable.

I'd like to see what the others thought.
Bassist159

Post-apocalyptic works for me...

Postby Sildar on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:35 pm

And yeah, I'm not real keen on re-hashing the Keep.

As for rules and what-not, I think it's more than enough to simply set one or more people as moderators (whether this be thread-specific or board-wide) to determine what is and isn't feasible or practical or 'fair'.

Too many rules, especially laid down in advance, suck.
Sildar

Postby PhoenixIncarnate on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:49 pm

While this should be discussed in the "rules" section . . . ;)

So we should cut down on the rules, then? Which ones are in the way? I think the "turn" limit for battles is still necessary. As for the others, keep in mind we might be expecting new people we haven't played with, and there are some things we don't want to have to say over and over again, although I agree with you that less rules are better.

As for setting, I guess the first thing to decide is how much should the new game be related to the Keep? My vote is "at least enough that new characters could be related to old ones." This vote is based on the fact that I have new characters that fit this description (I'd really like to play a rendition of Flesh's son. Cinder would be with him, and probably the only old Keep character that would cross over based on time/place in relation to the old Keep.)

I could still play a completely unrelated setting if that's what everybody else wishes. I do have at least one character that isn't directly related or even placed in her own setting yet. Though I'd probably have just as much fun either way, my preference is slightly related.

PhoenixIncarnate
Regular Poster

Hey!!

Postby Shiftfox on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:55 am

Wow, nice digs... Sorry it took me so long to join in. Almost thougth I'd deleted the email that you sent the link in. I'm all for whatever y'all finally decide on.
Shiftfox

by the by...

Postby Shiftfox on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:38 am

...Depending on the setting, what will and won't be allowed? In terms of abilities.
Shiftfox

Return to Phoenix Incarnate