Goblin Hollow RPing

Postby Wallaroo_Blacke on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:05 am

[quote="CasVeg"] Would you like to slay dragons? Does the idea of fighting cyborgs appeal to you? How would you like to try taking on a cyborg dragon that breaths fire and has a built-in SCUD missle launcher?) [quote]

I'd be the first one to admit I would be in over my head if
had insufficent weapons. :roll:
Wallaroo_Blacke
Regular Poster

Postby CasVeg on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:35 pm

I believe I already volunteered? Anyway, I'm quite capable of GM'ing either type (rules 'n' tools or thread weaver).
CasVeg
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:57 pm

I know it was my idea, but I want to reiterate that I would very much like to give RPGing a try. Is there anyone else who would interested?
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mjolnir on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:57 pm

CasVeg wrote:I believe I already volunteered? Anyway, I'm quite capable of GM'ing either type (rules 'n' tools or thread weaver).

So you did. I guess I'm just a bit dense.

Well, oh master of the game, what do you want to run? :)

- Mjolnir
Mjolnir
Cartoon Hero

Postby CasVeg on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:20 pm

Madmoonie wrote:I know it was my idea, but I want to reiterate that I would very much like to give RPGing a try. Is there anyone else who would interested?

A number of individuals have expressed interest. I, myself, have offered to provide the setting and adjudication. Since I'm pretty flexible and the others are open (I think), what would you like to do? You basically have these choices:
  • Freeform: This is basically group storytelling with a few rules. The TotQ RP threads use this.
  • "Tabletop" RPGs: This one uses a system of rules for resolving conflicts (usually combat) and introduces an element of uncertainty. The Goblin Hollow characters are playing one of these.
  • MMORPGs: This is similar to "tabletop" games, but a computer does all the number crunching. You could call these "point-and-click adventuring."
CasVeg
Regular Poster

Postby Fusion on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:27 pm

I think he was refering to tabletop.
"Heh, sometimes talking to yourself is the only way to get an intelligent conversation..."--Tbolt
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"--Edgar Allen Poe
"I just had an argument with myself, so now we're not talking."--me
"We are the salt of the earth, not the powdered sugar."--R.H. Jr.
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:01 pm

Yes, I was.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wallaroo_Blacke on Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:30 pm

I'll give it a go.
Wallaroo_Blacke
Regular Poster

Postby Mjolnir on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:51 am

Well, if we do tabletop (and I think that's the concensus) then we need to figure out what system. If we want to be true to the comic, then we should go AD&D, but which edition? I don't have any real experience with anything after 2nd.

- Mjolnir
Mjolnir
Cartoon Hero

Postby Selden on Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Well, now, I've never gone ahead and registered for this forum before, but I'm always up for some roleplaying. My experience is primarily with v3.5 of D&D (there's a System Reference Document for it here). My specialties are Lawful Goods who're so serious about what they're doing that they can suck all the fun out of life and Chaotic Goods that're usually compared to Dick Nixon and used-car salesmen. If you think you can use me, just say the word... I might even be able to track down one or two other players, though I seriously doubt that's going to be necessary.
Selden
Regular Poster

Postby Wallaroo_Blacke on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 pm

Let hope that there are NO munchkins. :roll:
Wallaroo_Blacke
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:33 pm

(goes check RH's chart for character classification) Man, that strip was rather useful. Anyway, I always kind of wanted to play a Choatic Good asassian, rogue, thief....WHATEVER they are called. I can elaborate later.
----
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby CasVeg on Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:15 pm

Wallaroo_Blacke wrote:Let hope that there are NO munchkins.

Don't worry, I have many fun ways of dealing with munchkin players. :twisted: Anyway, it's not the guy sitting next to you that you have to worry about. ;)

I have the d20 Modern rulebook; I wouldn't mind running a campaign with tech and magic. I've also read the D&D core rulebooks, although I do not have them, and can pretty easily kludge together and run a D&D campaign using the SRD. So, what sort of game would you like to play?

Also, I'd like to see what times (universal standard time/Greenwich mean time) you are available. If we can all get together at the same time, we can interact in real time in a chat room.

Aaand, I'd appreciate any help from the highly experienced players. If you have with 200+ sessions under your belt, you can be a "mentor." If you also have a rule book, you can be a "consultant."
CasVeg
Regular Poster

Postby Mjolnir on Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:49 am

You can put m e down as a "mentor" then. But I'm not really that availible for chatting. Most of my computer access is done at work (since I'm a cube dweller) and they frown on going to chat rooms and the like. I'm lucky that I can get to the forums.

- Mjolnir
Mjolnir
Cartoon Hero

Postby Starfury on Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:11 pm

I would be interested. Granted, I know next to nothing on the issue, and I am a full time student, but if a schedule can be set for a chat room or something, I'm good for a try. But could some one point me to an online reference that could explain the basics of whatI would really need to know for a "Tabletop" game?

Thanks.
My LiveJournal!
http://www.LiveJournal.com/~akkettch

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all. For God will bring every work into judgement, including every secret thing, whether good or evil." Ecclesiates 12:10
Starfury
Regular Poster

Location: Looks around..... "Um, you know, thats a pretty good question..."

Postby Mjolnir on Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:43 pm

Check this out, it should help: http://www.rpgamer.com/savingthrow/primer.html

- Mjolnir
Mjolnir
Cartoon Hero

Postby Capnregex on Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:49 pm

Yay!
Count me in...
I've just enough Table-Top RPG experiance to avoid cutting off my own toe,
But I've been playing Mu* for years and enjoy good interactive story telling..
Parhaps we should have a chargen thread?
Capnregex
Regular Poster

Postby Mjolnir on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:32 am

capnregex wrote:Parhaps we should have a chargen thread?

That's up to CasVeg. Once he's ready I'm sure we'll get a new thread.

- Mjolnir
Mjolnir
Cartoon Hero

Postby Selden on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:42 am

I favor D&D. For one thing, the D20 Modern wealth system always annoyed me. Take any of the professions that don't give a very large wealth bonus and even a simple knife or everyday clothing could be beyond your means. I know I'd never become a vigilante if it meant going from middle class to poor enough that I could barely afford the sort of hole-in-the-wall apartment frequented by the likes of Max Payne, Garrett and the Spider-man in the movies.

I don't have anything like the experience required to be a "mentor," I'm afraid. I do have the D&D 3.5 Player's Handbook (the SRD is much better, if you don't mind things like Melf being taken out of Melf's Acid Arrow), the Arms and Equipment Guide, the Book of Exalted Deeds (which I seriously doubt any D&D hero is truly qualified for-Supes only gets away with it because his world is black and white), Savage Species and eight Forgotten Realms books (when 3.5 came out, some people just didn't want to see their 3.0 books anymore). SS might come in handy for the anthropomorphic animals section, and the Arms and Equipment Guide has some nice special materials, but I'm not going to throw the new feats and spells around unless CasVeg okays it.

Aside from Mondays, I can make time anywhere from 2 PM GMT onward. I just can't keep playing past 6 AM GMT.
Selden
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:17 am

I love stories. KOTOR (and now Jade Empire) are my favorite kind of games because of the wealth of the story. I like the TOTQ forum or freeform because I think you can get the best story out of it. Dialouge and that kind if thing are whats important, the why and what happens of my choices. Had a whole argument about this with a Final Fantasy fan last night on whether KOTOR or Final Fantasy was better. I like KOTOR better because I think it has a richer story. Anyway there is my 2 cents.
----
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Under the Lemon Tree