Goblin Hollow RPing

Goblin Hollow RPing

Postby Madmoonie on Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:51 pm

Ummm.....from what ya'll discribe...RPGing sounds really cool...but I have never done anything like it....Ummm (embarrased cough) could we try on here, and (if he doesn't mind) have RH be the DM? I never have and they sound like alot of fine. I love games like KOTOR we you can really interact with the game, not like FF. Anyway, RPGing sounds like alot of fun and like to try something like what ya'll do over on the TOTQ forums...
Umm....Bye!

EDIT: FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO READ THE RP FROM THE BEGINNING, IT ACTUALLY STARTS ON PAGE 5
Last edited by Madmoonie on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

I wouldn't expect RH to handle it, but it can be fun

Postby Quantum Fox on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:20 am

The tricky part is that being the GM can be a lot of work. Not always, but it can be. That's why people use a lot of pre-generated modules despite the frightening variations in quality.

Face to face isn't a requirement. Done several RPG games with instant messaging services. There are other free clients to work with a GM server to give more control and accountability. There is also the post and reply method being used here fairly often.

That said, RH shows signs of being a very good GM, and if he ever thought he did have time for it, I wouldn't mind playing either. :>
Quantum Fox

Postby LoneWolf23k on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:20 pm

Tell me about it, Quantum.. I try to run a weekly D&D game in a furry muck, and I frequently end up getting frustrated, often merely at the character creation phase..

Just last Sunday, in fact, I was meeting with my players online to get to know their characters and prepare the campaign; two of the four regular players weren't on at all, and of the two that were, only one had actually worked on his character, the other one hadn't even started. And when I asked her, she said she wanted to play something like Anita Blake; I asked her to define the character as a PC, and she just started blathering on about the character concept and her size and weight, when all I wanted to know was what classes the character would be. ...If she hadn't brought in an extra potential player, I would've considered the evening a total waste.

That being said, I wouldn't mind playing a D&D game 'round here. Anyone here familiar with the new D&D world of Eberron?
LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:11 pm

I'm not familiar with D&D style RPGing but I would like to try my hand at it. the farthest I got was when my brother invited me to join him and his friends in their D&D game.

unfortunately I got as far as making my druid gnome character and then never got to go since. (schedule, school, work, no driver's license, etc.)

considering how often I check the forums (I'd say an average of two to three times a day I get on line and then will check the forums maybe twice every time I log on) I might be able to overcome my paranoia that I might not be able to keep up with everyone.
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Quantum Fox on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:39 pm

LoneWolf23k wrote:I asked her to define the character as a PC, and she just started blathering on about the character concept and her size and weight, when all I wanted to know was what classes the character would be.

So true.. I think we make a mistake when we ask people who and what their character is. In an RPG a character is better defined by the tasks you envision them performing instead.

Instead of saying "I'm a bard" how about the swashbuckling, carefree, defender of women's virtue, explorer of new lands, actor and entertainer.
Instead of saying "I'm like Keanu Reeves" you should say "I'm a shady hacker in over his head with miraculous ninja skills and a life directed by obscure prophecy"

The game normally revolves around a set of stats and you push the character in how those skills and abilities are used, but the _flavor_ of how you do it is what makes it fun, scary, or boring. Always be sure to tell the GM something you want to do. Be it rescuing innocent damsels, slaying a dragon, coming into a great inheritance, or always finding weirdness in the most boring of circumstances.

Me? I want to be able to turn into all kinds of cool critters. :)
Quantum Fox

Postby Shyal_malkes on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:07 pm

I once came up with a mage character (roughly based on the Black mage character portrayed in 8-bit theater(you can look it up on most search engines))

he decided to be evil:
mostly for the sake of being evil,
for the sake of showing people that he could do what they thought was 'right' and still be evil about it,
for the sake of annoying the paladin character he was with to no end,
for the sake of showing up the big bad evil dude at the end that he (the mage) was more evil then him (the big bad evil dude),
and again for the sake of being evil.

yes, every time I thought of a scene or scenario for him it turned out pretty funny, which now that I think about it was the whole point.
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Re: Goblin Hollow RPing

Postby BlasTech on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:39 pm

Madmoonie wrote:Ummm.....from what ya'll discribe...RPGing sounds really cool...but I have never done anything like it....Ummm (embarrased cough) could we try on here, and (if he doesn't mind) have RH be the DM? I never have and they sound like alot of fine. I love games like KOTOR we you can really interact with the game, not like FF. Anyway, RPGing sounds like alot of fun and like to try something like what ya'll do over on the TOTQ forums...
Umm....Bye!

Yay another Kotor Fan! :D
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Location: In a small tower on the southern side of the college

Postby Madmoonie on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:45 pm

Yes, I love KOTOR. Just can't bring myself to go Sith. Anway, let me first say that doing a RP (like the one they are doing in GH) is my idea alone and I do not want to pressure anyone into doing this, especially not RH who does so much for us already. I just thought he showed some really good ideas before, and would good...um...nuetral party to be a DM. I would do it myself but I have no earthly idea where/how/whatever to do. I just asking for opinions here. No pressure.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Calbeck on Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:56 pm

Eh, I'd be up for a campaign. So long as we start at level one. -:>
Calbeck
Regular Poster

Postby DracoDei on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:38 pm

I have the Eberron rule book and have read a lot of it. I have enough on my plate, that I probably shouldn't join an online D&D game let alone GM one. That stuff on my plate does include running a face-to-face D&D game so I might give advice if it is needed. I only have the 3rd edition books, not 3.5 edition(except for the Draconomicon and Eberron which I have in 3.5 format).
DracoDei
Regular Poster

Postby DracoDei on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:42 pm

P.S.
I might also be willing to run the occasional NPC or something. Note also that I never claimed to be the world's greatest DM. My engineering background does allow me to come up with interesting battle tactics and fortifications.
DracoDei
Regular Poster

Postby Fusion on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:54 am

I know nothing about this kind of RPing. But I'm quite willing to learn! :D
"Heh, sometimes talking to yourself is the only way to get an intelligent conversation..."--Tbolt
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"--Edgar Allen Poe
"I just had an argument with myself, so now we're not talking."--me
"We are the salt of the earth, not the powdered sugar."--R.H. Jr.
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby CasVeg on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:42 am

I happen to have a d20 Modern rulebook with me and wouldn't mind GMing an online campaign. I would need to know when everyone is available.

(If I include "Future" content, we can get some really weird stuff going: Would you like to slay dragons? Does the idea of fighting cyborgs appeal to you? How would you like to try taking on a cyborg dragon that breaths fire and has a built-in SCUD missle launcher?)

Of course, Madmoonie, this isn't quite the same as an RP thread.
CasVeg
Regular Poster

Postby Mjolnir on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:56 am

A word of advice:

I ran a PBEM (Play By E-Mail) Star Wars campaign for several years (from 12/99 to 1/03). The one thing I found that really helps is for the GM to do all the rolling. You see, D&D and SW, and several others, were designed to be played face-to-face. That means that the GM could observe how the players rolled. In a PBEM, or on a forum, that is not possible. Hence, there is a temptation for players to fudge their rolls. If you remove the rolls from their control, you solve this problem.

Of course, there is more of the free-flow, non-ruled game that we have over in the TOTQ forums. That is more of a creative writing exercise than anything. Again, there is the temptaion to play in "god mode" because there's nothing saying you can't (Not stats & ability scores, etc). But, if you have good GM's (like Astral and RedSquirrel) then that is at a minimum.

Just my $0.02.

However, after all that, I would also be up for a game, although I don't have time to GM it.

- Mjolnir

P.S. If anyone wants to the archives form my old SW game, please feel free. The Yahoo group and the accompanying web-page are still up. Here are the addresses:
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/genesstarwarspbem/
http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/StarWarsRpg/star_wars_rpg.htm

P.P.S. I'd suggest reading the Turn files on the angelfire site if you don't want to slog through all of the archives. Of course, I never got to making files of everything, so some slogging is still necessary.
Mjolnir
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:32 am

See, I was kinda hoping for something like what was in the TOTQ forums with no rolling, but if there was rolling, it seems to me to have the DM do it, so people wouldn't get tempted to misprepresent numbers.
----
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mjolnir on Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:42 am

Madmoonie wrote:See, I was kinda hoping for something like what was in the TOTQ forums with no rolling, but if there was rolling, it seems to me to have the DM do it, so people wouldn't get tempted to misprepresent numbers.

More of a free-form style does lend itself well to this application. But, if you want to play in a D&D style game, then you should at least start with D&D character creation and work from there.

- Mjolnir
Mjolnir
Cartoon Hero

Postby Chaser617 on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:20 pm

What we did when we had to make rolls online was use the RNG built into AIM, but that really dosen't work in this situation.
Chaser617
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:23 pm

I like the style that is used in the TOTQ forums, although as I have said, I know NOTHING about RPGing.
----
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fusion on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:13 am

Well, it seems like we have a general agreement. How about if someone starts a thread to help those of us who have no idea what we are doing create charectors, and we'll go from there.
"Heh, sometimes talking to yourself is the only way to get an intelligent conversation..."--Tbolt
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"--Edgar Allen Poe
"I just had an argument with myself, so now we're not talking."--me
"We are the salt of the earth, not the powdered sugar."--R.H. Jr.
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby Mjolnir on Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:46 am

Well, character creation all depends on who's going to run the RP. They might have some rules that would effect what's allowed and what isn't.

So, do we have any GM's volunteering to step forward?

- Mjolnir
Mjolnir
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Under the Lemon Tree