Understanding Webalizer logs

The Gear is deprecated, use the Help forum or CG Wiki.

Understanding Webalizer logs

Postby Popsicleman on Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:26 am

Okay, so I figured out how to view my webalizer logs. Now, here's the trick: how to understand them? That's something I've only half-figured out yet, and I haven't been able to find a place which outlines what all the stats mean.

What's the difference between "sites" and "visits," for example? And if 'hits' only measures when the site is pinged, but not necessarily visited by a websurfer, then what are the things that might be pinging my site? The CG server? (My sig banner, for example, is not in my site folder so that's not causing it.)
Behold the power of freeze...

Popsicleman
Regular Poster

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:58 am

I believe that sites are "referers" where as visits are the amount of people with unique IPs who have come by to look at your website.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Popsicleman on Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:39 am

phactorri wrote:I believe that sites are "referers" where as visits are the amount of people with unique IPs who have come by to look at your website.

'Referrers" as in unique sites from which people arrived? As in, if someone clicked on my banner in the forum, the forum page would be a 'site'?
Behold the power of freeze...

Popsicleman
Regular Poster

Return to Gear