Backstory Blather

Answering the question, "What does a vegetarian vampire eat?" and providing enough Holding Chaos trivia to choke an elephant.

Backstory Blather

Postby Koto on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:41 pm

...As you put it,

Anyway, what would cause a human to gain magical abilites? especisally as powerfull as Jason or another member of the holders of true light. Can we expect some Farie Creatures working with humans, or humans descandant from said Farie? or is it just latent ability that is attracted to certian indiviuals?
I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:20 am

Anyway, what would cause a human to gain magical abilites? especisally as powerfull as Jason or another member of the holders of true light.

Human and elf hanky panky. As Regan notes in a later chapter, the Holders are sort of hypocritical when it comes to their attitude toward non-humans, because any human with innate ability owes it to elf ancestry. The trait is recessive and hard to breed for, although the Holders do try, with arranged marriages and such. However, two powerful human sorcerers might have children with weak abilities, because the actual degree of magical power seems to be governed by chance with the odds skewed toward "weak."

I.e., Jason is an aberration, not the norm.

Can we expect some Farie Creatures working with humans, or humans descandant from said Farie?

Any demons or Fey who deals with mundane humans is supposed to use a glamour to pass as human, as per various treaties and InterPlanar laws. A few species of "demon," like the Teile, have dealings (trade related) with the Holders.

Elves, and most of the non-human species avoid dealing with humans because humans are considered an immature and volatile species. The elven government refuses to deal with the Holders at all, insisting on using the Grey Brethren (vampires) as go betweens. Vampires, by virtue of their origins (Chapter One), are considered kin to the elves.

Whee! More blather than you can shake a stick at.
Image -- When in Doubt, Cheat
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:47 am

Would the holders deal with the brethern or are they opposed to all magical creatures outside of themselves.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Would the holders deal with the brethern or are they opposed to all magical creatures outside of themselves.

I meant to work in this bit of exposition in this chapter, but decided it would bog down an already slow-paced section. But this is an excerpt from the original manuscript that sort of explains the Holder/Brethren relationship.

"Around 700 years ago, the Brethren and the Holders went to war, each hoping to exterminate the other. After significant losses on both sides, each came to the distressing conclusion that destruction would be mutual. Since neither the Brethren nor the Holders were willing to go out in a blaze of martyred glory, the result was the Compact of Non-Aggression. Basically, the Holders and Brethren agreed not to go out of their way to kill each other. Naturally, that doesn't rule out various forms of espionage. "

Nowadays, the Holders and Brethren have a relationship similar to that of Cold War era America and the U.S.S.R., perhaps even a little friendlier. Sometimes, they will even form a temporary alliance to deal with a problem that threatens them both.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Ah a Kennedy/Khrushchev deal. Leader dependant to the level of friendlyness?

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:49 pm

So Cyrus is listed as a fifth circle magus, can I assume that there are nine circles? Of course I'm going under the assumtion that it paralells the nine circles of hell, I could also assume that their are 7 circles as they may claim a more "heavenly" magical cast.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:25 am

There are ten, with the first being composed of the highest ranking members, the Inner Circle as it were. The Outer Nine is the term used to described all those in ranks two through ten. The higher the number, the lower the member's rank.

Ranking is a function of many things including seniority, achievements and magical ability.

The majority of Holders are of sixth circle or higher. Cyrus, a researcher, rose to fifth circle in just a few years, thanks largely to his "innovative" research methods.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:30 am

Koto wrote:So Cyrus is listed as a fifth circle magus, can I assume that there are nine circles? Of course I'm going under the assumtion that it paralells the nine circles of hell, I could also assume that their are 7 circles as they may claim a more "heavenly" magical cast.

There are ten, with the first being composed of the highest ranking members, the Inner Circle as it were. The Outer Nine is the term used to described all those in ranks two through ten. The higher the number, the lower the member's rank.

Ranking is a function of many things including seniority, achievements and magical ability.

The majority of Holders are of sixth circle or higher. Cyrus, a researcher, rose to fifth circle in just a few years, thanks largely to his "innovative" research methods.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Return to Holding Chaos