The Latest Page

Answering the question, "What does a vegetarian vampire eat?" and providing enough Holding Chaos trivia to choke an elephant.

Postby Adobedragon on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Koto wrote:Grim and silly is what made Monty Python

Oh my. Now I've got a craving to see some Holy Grail.
Image -- When in Doubt, Cheat
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:46 pm

adobedragon wrote:
Koto wrote:Grim and silly is what made Monty Python

Oh my. Now I've got a craving to see some Holy Grail.

It's just a flesh wound, come back here, I'll gnaw your anckles off! :P
I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:10 am

1 Aug 2007

Happy August. I just realized that that means this comic will be approaching the one year mark at the end of the month. Not long by comparison to some comics, but since many webcomics have the longevity of a Hollywood marriage (a few months), I'm rather pleased with myself.

This comic page turned out better than I expected. Except, there's a purr-spective error that I noticed after I'd done inking. Wasn't about to go back and start over.

As I alluded in the comments, the "rest of the story" will take place in a chapter...later. This is page three of a four-page backstory section. One more page of this, and then onto the present. Thank Dog, since I'm totally bored with 30s clothing. (After three pages...I have the attention span of a rat on meth.)

Regan is in "hunting" clothes in this one, which means no dresses or otherwise impractical clothing. Cyrus has his sleeves rolled up for some serious murderin'.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:27 pm

Despite the gruesome nature the art was done well, especially the facial expressions. Curse Cyrus and his boyish good looks, I hope he gets whats coming to him.
Still searching for the perspective error, guessing lower wall paneling.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:15 am

Koto wrote:Still searching for the perspective error, guessing lower wall paneling.

Well I didn't bother with vanishing points and whatnot, so I'm not entirely sure where it is either, except that the perspective is bothering me. I believe the problem lies in part with the paneling, but particularly with the wood flooring. The vertical lines should angle ever so slightly toward the aforementioned, and ignored, vanishing point(s).

Perspective and architectural detail are so much easier in AutoCad. Photoshop, not so much.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:57 pm

Latest page shows a marked improvement in the art in comparison to the first page. Is the knife pictured Regan's or Cyrus's? The knife looks a little "short" on the right.

This page also illustrates the importance of being focused, you can mourn your friend after you deal with her killer who is standing right next to you.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:43 am

Koto wrote:Latest page shows a marked improvement in the art in comparison to the first page.

Cool. Although I doubt that "improvement" will be a consistent thing. Every time I think I've got a handle on drawing something, colouring, etc., I find myself struggling with the very same issue. In other words, the next pages might be total crap. Sigh.

Is the knife pictured Regan's or Cyrus's?

The dagger is Regan's. It's one of a set of two. As part of the Wolfe induction ceremony she is bonded to three weapons--two daggers and a short sword. Each is stored on the Sh'ree demon Plane and has its own name. She can summon and dismiss each weapon with that name.

The knife looks a little "short" on the right.

Yeah. I think you're right. Symmetrical things are a b*tch to draw.

This page also illustrates the importance of being focused, you can mourn your friend after you deal with her killer who is standing right next to you.

Though she's gotten better over time, Regan isn't always the most focussed person. Cyrus used that weakness to "get the drop on her." Also, although she has special abilities due to her vampire heritage, she is physically weak, so letting any adversary get too close, including a human, can be dangerous.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:53 pm

9 August 2007

Whew. Made the update in the nick 'o time. (It's still the 9th where I live.)

This page was a little frustrating. First, because this is a busy week and just finding the time to fiddle with it was difficult. Second, because I can't figure out how to make it look like night, and maintain contrast, and not get too dark.

Anyway...Regan had a serious horse riding accident two decades before and has developed a horse phobia. Bill was dumped in her yard several years ago by a well-meaning friend. Bill had been rescued from a field where he was starving to death. Regan was terrified of him. But Bill was such an atypical horse--steady, easy going, gentle--that she couldn't help but get attached to him. Nothing scares Bill. He likes everyone including the assortment of vampires, elves, demons, fairies and other supernaturals that frequent Regan's life. He adores Talis and Breas the vampire.

I wrote in Bill the horse because I was tired of the usual fictional trope--single girl with pet cat.

Bill shouldn't be so shiny in the middle panel. It's supposed to be winter and he should have a rather dull, wooley coat.

The box on the roof is the swamp cooler, the usual alternative to air conditioning in the hot, dry desert.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:19 am

21 August 2007

Uploaded a new page but CG seems to be down (not sure why it let me upload), so the new page will show up...whenever CG gets its act together.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:40 pm

adobedragon wrote:21 August 2007

Uploaded a new page but CG seems to be down (not sure why it let me upload), so the new page will show up...whenever CG gets its act together.

CG has been having this problem sitewide, but there is a work around, Use Ctrl + F5 (simultaniously (both together)) and the new comic should appear.

Don't know why though, but the update is there.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:32 pm

Koto wrote:CG has been having this problem sitewide, but there is a work around, Use Ctrl + F5 (simultaniously (both together)) and the new comic should appear.

Heh. Well, whatever works. When I went on this AM, it let me connect through FTP and upload images. But I couldn't get on the CG site to initiate the update. Weird.

Ah, well.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:31 pm

26 August 2007

The longer version of Lex and Regan's conversation:

"What happened with Prince . . . Crom'Teal-something?" Pronouncing Fairy names requires verbal acrobatics, hence Lex, versus whatever her real name is.

"Crehm'Teal is an abysmal bore." Lex put down the remote and sprawled on the recliner so she could face me. "He wants to get married!"

"Ew?" I tried.

"Exactly. Married. Me!" She pulled herself away from the sight of Lucy and Ethel stuffing chocolate into their clothing. "And children. He wants children."

"Wow. What an ogre."

She missed my sarcasm. "And he expected me to," she lifted her hands to make quotation marks, "confine my affections to him and him alone."

"How unreasonable."

"Who does he think I am? Some old, shriveled, fairy matron?" she said.

I got a silly image of Lex the fairy godmother and grinned.

"I've got admirers, Regan. Far too many to incarcerate myself in marriage." Sitting up, she posed as though about to take flight, her wings reflecting images from the television, the ultimate fairy archetype. "There is a world of men out there."

"Worlds, Planes, actually," I agreed, stressing the "s" sound.

"Precisely." She frowned. "It is really quite a pity, though. He was absolutely marvelous in bed. You would not believe the size of--"

"Ew! I don't need a description of his fairy man part. Thanks."

"Tongue. I was going to say tongue, Regan."

"Yeah. That's worse. I'd rather hear about his magical trouser snake."

"Really?" Her eyes widened.

"No!"

In the original text, Lex picks up the remote, flips on the TV and finds an "I Love Lucy," rerun.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:36 pm

31 August 2007

One day early, because of the holiday weekend.

Talis's people are a peaceful seafaring folk, who thousands of years ago, were driven from their ancestral fishing waters, and nearly exterminated by the elves. To this day, many elves still treat the Mar'Gwynt like second-class citizens and the Mar'Gwynt have fewer rights than lesser Fey species.

So Talis isn't crazy about elves and doesn't like being called an elf. But teasing him about the issue is an old game between him and Regan.

When he was younger, he was, however, a famous elf polo player. Being a sports star didn't change what he was, but nevertheless, he acquired fans, including elf and fairy women.

Lex calls herself his biggest fan.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:34 pm

Talis is a pacifist, meaning, for the most part, he always turns the other cheek, as it were. That doesn't mean, however, that he lacks defensive abilities, particularly magic. After all, he helped Regan cheat her way through magic school and was himself a star pupil.

Nowadays, he has "a problem" and can't always access his magic. But he manages this time, and uses a spell to get rid of Lex. Since she can fly short distances, it isn't like he really did anything to hurt her, so it doesn't count as violence and doesn't violate his pacifist vow.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:55 pm

14 September 2007

Got this page up in the nick of time. A little sloppy with the shading, but the hubby and I have an art show this weekend. I still need to do a bunch more welding and metal work.

Anyhow, there are two kinds of vampires--Lesser and Greater. Regan's friends and family fall into the Greater category. More to be explained in the next page.

Cheers.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:53 pm

11 October 2007
This is nearly the end of this chapter. I think I can finish it in about two or three pages.

Lex really has Regan's number though.

Lex and Talis, when out in public, use magical glamours to appear human. So a trip to the local ice cream shop is possible.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Holding Chaos