The Latest Page

Answering the question, "What does a vegetarian vampire eat?" and providing enough Holding Chaos trivia to choke an elephant.

The Latest Page

Postby Adobedragon on Tue May 22, 2007 6:51 am

22 May 2007
My horses always end up looking like Arabians. On this page, and the previous (tapestry), I made a concerted effort to avoid my usual dishy-faced Arab. I mean, even my live model, my horse (who is an Arabian), doesn't have the classic Arabian head.

So this time I went for an Andalusian look, with a big old Roman nose on the horse. The thick neck and short back are also more like a Spanish breed.

Anyway, a new page on a Tuesday. A-mazing. I might get the next page finished by this Sunday. *Fingers crossed.*

That is, provided Comic Genesis (CG) cooperates. CG is going through server upgrades, resulting in all kinds-a upload issues and site outages.
Image -- When in Doubt, Cheat
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Tue May 29, 2007 8:59 am

29 May 2007

At the moment (about 10AM my time), Comic Genesis is stuck again. I plopped a new comic on the server. Should be up....someday. I also have a mirror site at Drunk Duck, where <a href="http://www.drunkduck.com/Holding_Chaos/" target="_blank">the new comic page</a> can be found.

Anyway... The Holders (of the True Light of the Sun) are kind of the paranormal love child of Men in Black and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psi_Corps" target="_blank">Babylon 5's Psi Corps</a>.

Typically, the Holder Central Command utilizes two types of field operatives: survey teams, and cleanup teams. Survey teams are made of a sorcerer (the Brains) and a warrior, (the Brawn.) Although the Brawn doesn't usually possess innate magic, he or she can use magical weapons.

Cleanup teams of six are dispatched when a situation gets so out of control that mundane humans are likely to notice. The cleanup crew's duties range from altering the memories of affected humans to literally cleaning up messes (hauling away dead demons/elves), mopping up blood and guts, etc.

If Regan's hunch is right, Kyle and Jason are a survey team.

The question is why are they in town?
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:24 pm

5 June 2007

Whew! Just under the wire; a late afternoon update, but within the "week" time frame. If you don't see a new page, try my mirror site at <a href="http://www.drunkduck.com/Holding_Chaos/" target="_blank">Drunk Duck.</a>

The point of this long and lugubrious chapter is this: Everybody at the table, except poor Eva, is lying. Regan is not an ordinary human. Jason and Kyle are not working for an ordinary security firm. I think, in the original novel, the conversations--e.g., the part about "secret personnas"--were a fun play on that theme. It probably doesn't come through with the comic.

The Holders and the Grey Brethren (Regan's vampire employers) do share one common goal: keeping the ordinary (mundane) human populace from finding out that paranormals live among them. So, neither Regan nor the guys will make an issue of their suspicions in front of Eva.

In the original novel, Regan says, "All movies are predicated on a certain amount of crap." I gave the line to Jason so that he can come to a subtle defense of Eva.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Comic Gen

Postby Koto on Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:04 pm

Comic Gen was down for most of today so no surprise that it was not up there. Bookmarked DrunkDuck site, but I have not read many comics hosted by DD but I have seen Comic Gen go down frequently in the past few months. Apparently they (Comic Gen) are updating their systems.
I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:44 pm

Apparently they (Comic Gen) are updating their systems.

Drunk Duck was originally just a data backup site for me. I find CG provides much more flexibility with regard to web design and I like the community.

However...grrr...CG has been plagued with a legion of glurps lately. Their updates have turned into persistent headaches. So I may have to give DD a closer look.

I've found several nifty comics over at DD. I'll add them to my links and also post them in a "Pimp your comic" topic on this forum, sometime this week.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:27 am

12 June 2007

As of now, 8:30 AM MST, the CG queue is at about 3200. So the new page I dropped on the server probably won't be up until tomorrow. New page can also be found <a href="http://www.drunkduck.com/Holding_Chaos/index.php">here</a>.

Regan grew up in Ireland in the late 1800s. Her dad was big on the idea of a proper, classical education, which included violin lessons. While she isn't a musical prodigy, after more than a century of playing the fiddle, she's quite good. So she takes gigs as a replacement player with local ensembles, Celtic groups, etc.

Tonight, however, she has no rehearsal. She's just trying to escape the situation, especially since it didn't turn out as bad as she thought it would. Things would have been easier if Jason had been the blind date from hell.

Actually liking him? Now that's a problem....
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:19 am

14 June 2007

(If Comic Genesis site is down....wait for it, wait for it..., yeah, you know the routine, check for a page at <a href="http://www.drunkduck.com/Holding_Chaos/">The Duck</a>.)

Fifty-five frickin' pages! Amazing. I'm rather pleased with myself for sticking with a project... It helps to have a completed script. If I were "making it up as a I go," I'd probably have lost interest long ago.

There are two errors on this page: one accidental, the other intentional. First, Regan's car, the blue one in the foreground, is pointing toward the restaurant. In the beginning of the chapter, it was pointing away from the restaurant. I noticed this after I started colouring and wasn't about to fix it.

Bats. Those are supposed to be bats in the lights. The story, however, takes place in mid-January when bats are hibernating, so seasonal "oops." Plus, they're a tad too big. But I wanted something fluttering around in the light, so I persisted with the error.

The spelling of "Wolfes" is correct since it isn't the plural of "wolf."
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:42 pm

adobedragon wrote:Bats. Those are supposed to be bats in the lights. The story, however, takes place in mid-January when bats are hibernating, so seasonal "oops." Plus, they're a tad too big. But I wanted something fluttering around in the light, so I persisted with the error.

Just say that their owls, that would also explain the size.
And when people say that owls don't fly in flocks, say, hey there magic owls, or somthing.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:05 am

20 June 2007

Comic Genesis, is, predictably, down. The new page (100% giant bat free) is over at <a href="http://www.drunkduck.com/Holding_Chaos/index.php">Drunk Duck</a>. I'll update here whenever the faltering CG server comes up for air.

Jason and his family are from London, England. Because of circumstances that will be explained later, he spent much of his childhood in Wales. He never picked up a Welsh accent though.

Regan has never been attracted to anyone who lacks innate magic power. To her, someone without magical power feels sort of "dead" to touch, with no "life" flowing through through their bloodstream. Jason, who has a lot of innate power, is the first human she's ever been attracted to.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:41 am

26 June 2007

Yes, there is a new page, as promised. I can't, however, get to Comic Genesis's FTP, so the new page is at the Drunk Duck mirror. (Link below.)

The intrepid admins are migrating all the comics and data to the new CG server this week, so I'm not sure when I'll get this page posted (@ CG). ASAP, is my best answer.

Anyway, the current page is rather simple. I hope to finish off the chapter in a maximum of four pages--hopin' for three. The next two pages will be heavy on dialogue, particularly because I like said dialogue and can't bear to "kill my darlings," as Stephen King would say.

Despite being decades old than Jason, Regan is in way over her head. Technically, when it comes to dating, Jason is more experienced.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:45 pm

Socialy inept w/relationships of the personal kind, reminds me of somthing Ineed to ask a friend...

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:04 am

2 July 2007

(If CG is down...new comic at Drunk Duck, linky below. Edit: As of July 3rd, I uploaded the new page at CG, but still can't access the site admin. So this page prolly won't appear at CG till the 4th. On the up-side, I think I can manage two updates this week!)

This comic is sort of like visiting an old friend, one you don't have a lot in common with except the past. That is, since I've long since abandoned any interest in getting the novel version of HC published and see it as suffering from "first novel-itis."

It's fun remembering how the characters evolved through various revisions. The early versions of Jason was much more geeky and lacked confidence. In time, however, he became a sort of foil to Regan's social immaturity, (at least with regard to dating), and basically...became more man than boy.

He is, after all, 27 years old, a University of Cambridge graduate, who before becoming a Holder was working as an engineer. Basically, he had his sh*t together. (How he became a Holder is a matter for a later Chapter.)
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:28 pm

8 July 2007

Woo-hoo! Second update this week. 'Course this means, the next update won't be until about Thursday (12th).

Regan's eyes can see a bit of the infrared spectrum. Consequently, in the dark, all warm-blooded creatures, including humans, are surrounded by a pale, reddish glow. In all other respects, her night vision isn't much better than that of the average human. (Yep, she stubs her toes on the furniture when she's too lazy to switch on the light, just like everyone else.)

So Jason should have had a touch of a glow around him during their time in the dark parking lot. Oops. Oh, well.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:25 am

13 July 2007

Friday the Thirteenth. In keeping with the date...Comic Genesis is once again borked! Whee! So, until I can reach the site, or login to ftp, newest page is at Drunk Dunk mirror site. (Linky below.)

It's unclear what Regan or Jason are up to at this point. I.e., why he asked her out or why she agreed.

For the record, I don't write black and white, good vs. evil stories. They're simplistic and dull. The idea of ultimate evil, out to destroy the world, is frankly, asinine. What on Earth will Evil do once it's out of things to destroy, people to torture and kill? Evil would be mighty bored. I like my evil a little more intelligent, much more complex.

Anyway, the Grey Brethren (vampires) aren't the bad guys, and the Holders (humans) are not the good. Both look out for their own interests, which means their actions don't fall into neat categories like "good," and "evil."

Holder interests include recruiting new members, often forcibly. Humans with magical ability are a rare and much needed commodity to the Holders.

So Jason might believe Regan is just a human with magical power and a new recruit. Or he knows she's a demi-human and has other plans for her.

Or maybe he just likes her. Who knows?

Regan probably is blundering into a disaster like she always does.

Cheers. P.K.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:06 pm

Cover page looks really good. It's the best so far, art wise.

Comic looks better on DD but I think that because it's centered on DD.
may also be because of my screen resolution but there is a three inch purple space (on my screen) on the CG site.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:34 am

Koto wrote:Cover page looks really good. It's the best so far, art wise.

Thanks, Koto. This being a learning process, I'm always experimenting. With that cover, I replaced a lot of black outline with colour. Trouble is, I think the process takes too long for regular pages, especially since regular pages have a lot more linework.

That's a continual aggravation (conundrum), trying to find a style that suits me and the comic, and that doesn't take long to finish. Grrrr.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:42 am

24 July 2007

A-mazing. Comic Genesis has been behaving. Perhaps all this server reliability will continue. *Knocks on wood.*

This was meant to be a quiet, simple page. It's the beginning of what should be a 3-4 page flashback. I had to find a reference for a cafe, because there was no way I could picture one in my head. Actually, that's my problem with just about any background. My brain doesn't think beyond the characters.

Next page will have a very simple background, so I should get it done by the weekend.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:01 pm

Great job on the cafe, can't wait to find out about the new characters!

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:03 pm

Koto wrote:Great job on the cafe, can't wait to find out about the new characters!

Gracias. Despite the glum (grim) start, this chapter should be overall upbeat, and a bit silly at times.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:40 pm

adobedragon wrote:
Koto wrote:Great job on the cafe, can't wait to find out about the new characters!

Gracias. Despite the glum (grim) start, this chapter should be overall upbeat, and a bit silly at times.

Grim and silly is what made Monty Python :)

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Holding Chaos