Long ago, on a different forum, "Radioactive-Newt" once posed these questions for me. I'm re-posting them here...
1) Does Zara like gold because she can buy things with it, or is it just a dragon hording type mentality?
2) Xara has been often been called/calls herself a Saurian. Is this what the race name for dragons are, or something more specific?
3) Is there something we can call the artist Dragonaur other than "Dragonaur" because comic Dragonaur and artist Dragonaur are very confusing to use in the same sentence?
As for the questions, I'll start last first:
3) I go by "Sean Johnson". I have my name sprinkled around here and there but I guess not at all here on the forums! (Check my Deviant Art pages http://dragonaur.deviantart.com
1) Xara has the classic hording instinct. As a matter of fact Xara believes if she can hord enough she can become a star faring dragon. Xara does not like spending for anything. Up to now, I just assumed that she was bullying and stealing to make her way. This will probably cause her problems when she heads into town with the family!
2) I've been a bit confusing on this issue. Using "saurian" and "dragoness" interchangingly. Here's my take: I'm borrowing a little bit of "Gold Digger" universe. Saurians were a reptilian race that existed millions of years ago. In "Dragonaur", they existed on Anterra as the first sentient beings and advanced civilization. Their first experiments in genetic engineering created Dinosaurs which were released on earth.
While highly intelligent, Saurians were not well developed emotionally and were at constant war amoung themselves. In time they created the super warriors: the Dragons. Being extremely powerful and intelligent it was only a matter of time before they sucked most the magic from Anterra, destroyed it and most of themselves. The remainder scattered across the universe.
This is why we see dragons on earth from time to time. In the following millenea different races of dragons evolved.
Xara is a dragoness. Tho' she is not fully aware of this. The Anterrain dragons are solitary. However, they do feel the drive to procreate from time to time. They will endure each other long enough to conceive children. Of course, this can also be a problem since raising children is a time consuming process for any sentient race. So Xara's mother had a different plan.
Just what exactly happened between Laurence's family and Xara's mother will be told in the future. But as it turned out Xara's mother ended up having to raise Xara by herself in the end. Since Xara herself might grow to become a threat to her mother, Xara's mother wanted to teach Xara only enough magic so that at some point Xara could fend for herself but no more. Unfortunately, being half elven, Xara has trouble summoning and controlling even basic draconic magic. This was a constant frustration for her mother who wanted to be rid of the child as soon as possible yet teach her no more then necessary!
As it was, Xara ran away at 13 and now does her best to avoid her mother. Given her family troubles, its no surprise that Xara did her best to avoid Laurence's peace overtures upon his return to Anterra. But Xara was flirting with the evil Lord Arai and that was a dangerous situation and so Laurence and Triona set into motion their plan to reel in Xara. Which brings us to our present story!
As you can see this is an old set of questions. Many of these issues have been answered in "Chapter 2" of the comic. Xara has softened up considerably in the intervening years. She's more trusting and alot more friendly. In addition, I have been thinking more about the physics of the magic on the world of Anterra and I'll add that to this thread eventually.
Thanks for reading!