My Other Comics

A place for people to discuss and constructively criticize my comics. Of course there’ll also be a place for off topic chit-chat, and a place for other webcomic artist to talk about what’s going on with their own stuff.

My Other Comics

Postby Sharkfin on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:36 pm

My comics can be pretty random, so use this thread to discuss or constructively criticize any of my other comics that aren’t a regular feature.
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Re: My Other Comics

Postby Tbolt on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:36 am

I guess this falls under the topic : New markers.

The lines look bold and clean, no complaints there... The posing figure's legs look like they're made out of rubber, the knee seems a little too rounded for my taste. However, that is stylistic. Angular knees would give the figure a more dynamic - in-motion feel. The rounded knees are more flowy, like he is dancing. But looking at the punchline, that may be the effect you were going for anyways, in which case it makes sense. This is just my personal taste I'm talking about.

Still looks a lot better than anything I could do! =^^=
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharkfin on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:18 pm

You're right, I was going for a stylized flowing look. Good call. I had the movie "Equilibrium" in mind when making it.

Sometimes I get board and decide to stretch out and try my hand at some other styles hoping that the readers enjoy the ride.

In my experience, readers get board with a chronically static comic strip anyway.
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 am

Exercising your creative style is good, I've seen a few people do that, from refining a current technique to a complete makeover...

Out of curiosity, do you have a DeviantArt account?
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharkfin on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:14 pm

I did create a Deviant Art account at one point, but that was a long time ago. I don't know if I would even be able to find it now.

I may get back on it one day, but right now it would be too hard for me to keep up with.
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:24 am

I understand, it can be a great place to network with other starting artists and to plug your work, but there comes a point where it is horrifically time consuming. A friend of mine started initially as an artist, and ended up with a webcomic out of the deal.

Love the strip for the 17th! I could see the talking heads over-analyzing it...

"He's protesting the deforestation of the Amazon basin byt unbridled capitalism!"

"No, it is a cry for human rights in nations exploited by big corporations!"

"You're both wrong, it's a bold and clear message to save the animals!"

Then some poor kid in college, taking a 200 level literature course will be forced to write a 20 page essay on what "Get a life" means! =^-^=
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharkfin on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:44 pm

LOL

That's some pretty creative funny dialog you've got going there, and the little quip about the college student at the end was priceless. You sound like you've done some satirical writing before.
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:55 am

Thank you kindly!

Just remembering what I went through in college =^^;

Thank you, very much for the picture of Roth, excellent work on his tail! It is great to see him drawn correctly for a change! :D

EDIT:

Looking at the comic for today:

"Safety at work"

Heh, it is nice to know that the personal injury lawyers have done such a great job in improving our society! :P
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Indigo4789 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:54 am

Thanks for the sketch yesterday! If you're ever planning on going to WTH con or Stellarcon, let me know.
"Those who dance are often considered insane by those who can't hear the music."
Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Postby Sharkfin on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:25 pm

I don't know anything about Stellarcon. But I have heard good things about WTH con from Jennie Breeden. And, I do like Jennie Breeden. I'll see if I can go to WTH con next year.
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:37 am

Anthro-con will be coming up again this year in Pittsburgh at the end of June, if a friend of mine from out of state comes in , I'll be there! =^^=
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharkfin on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:00 pm

I went to my first furry convention a few months ago, and had a great time. It was called Furry Weekend Atlanta. I made a video all about it. A link to the video is at the bottom of my homepage.
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Postby Indigo4789 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:52 am

Sharkfin wrote:I don't know anything about Stellarcon. But I have heard good things about WTH con from Jennie Breeden. And, I do like Jennie Breeden. I'll see if I can go to WTH con next year.

So are you going to be brave and put yourself on the auction block for the geek auction? :D
"Those who dance are often considered insane by those who can't hear the music."
Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Postby Sharkfin on Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:01 pm

I don't think I have enough of a name among the geeks to garner much of a bid. I'd probably end up like the cameraman on Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day". Some old lady would buy me for $0.25

Still, maybe by the time it rolls around I'll feel more confident about it. We'll see
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:09 am

Hmmm, artist's chicken scratch....

I think I see now where modern abstract art was born! Someone was rushed o a deadline, and someone else came into the shop and saw the test page! =^^=

* Insert more over-analytical comments from bystanders here *

And again there's another essay waiting for that poor sap in college! =^^=

That is an interesting tidbit of information, though, I never thought of giving a pencil or a marker a "test run" to make sure it functioned correctly. Thanks for shaing! =^^=
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

29 Apr

Postby Tbolt on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:51 am

I'm really sorry to hear that! =-.-=

I wish I could say something more encouraging...

You are a talented individual!
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Indigo4789 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:09 am

I agree, it sucks that they did that. I like the sketches, it looks like you came to my college and started drawing the male population. :lol:
Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Postby Specter-8472 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:37 am

It's a pity to hear that. truth be told, I was always a little envious of people who could make good Caricatures.
"I just put 1.795372 and 2.204628 together." "And what does that mean?"
"Four!" My DeviantArt Gallery
Specter-8472
Regular Poster

Postby Indigo4789 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Sharkfin wrote:I don't think I have enough of a name among the geeks to garner much of a bid. I'd probably end up like the cameraman on Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day". Some old lady would buy me for $0.25

Still, maybe by the time it rolls around I'll feel more confident about it. We'll see

You don't have to have a name among the geeks. It's basically a bunch of chicks bidding on geeky guys and all the proceeds go to charity. Who knows, I may put out a bid on you. :wink:

The only catch is that at the dance that night, you're supposed to dance with whomever bought you.
Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Postby Sharkfin on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Thank you all for the encouragement. I knew I could count on yawl to make me feel better.

specter-8472 wrote:It's a pity to hear that. truth be told, I was always a little envious of people who could make good Caricatures.

Caricaturing is a craft that takes years to perfect. Even if you're a prodigy it still takes time to get that refined look. If you add up all the time I've spent working in theme parks it'd be over two years, and I still don't feel like I've got it right.

So if you see someone that’s good at Caricatures, don't envy them, instead understand that ability came at a high price, and even the good ones are riddled with rejections on a regular basis.
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Frog Skin Boots