Yamcha does a game review

Postby Yamcha Hibiki on Mon Jun 18, 2001 2:36 am

Okay, I love Burgertime, and I like the Flintstones, so putting them together should be a great idea, right? Wrong. The Flintstones: Burgertime In Bedrock is yet another old school video game port with the graphics changed to resemble popular commercial characters, but unlike Dexter's Robot Rampage (Elevator Action) or Monster Rancher Explorer (Solomon's Key), The Flinstones didn't keep the gameplay intact.
For all of you who remembers Burgertime it's a game where you play Chef Peter Pepper and you have to build these giant hamburgers by running on them to drop them down platforms eventually making a hamburger, however you also had to watch out for the evil Mr. Hot Dog, Mr. Egg, and Mr. Pickle who you can either stun by throwing pepper in their face, or smash them by having above hamburger pieces land on them. It was a fun game, definately a classic. In the Flinstones: Burgertime this is kinda' the same. Except now you play as Fred and/or Barney, you use clubs instead of pepper, the power-ups have changed (one of them is a picture of Elvis, which I still can't figure out what that has to do with Burgertime and/or the Flinstones), and the enemies have been changed to bugs, dinosaurs, and Kazoo (yes, that little green alien guy who would grant Fred and Barney wishes and called them dumb dumbs). I'm not sure why Kazoo is there, and the fact that Fred and Barney are squashing him into hamburgers really disturbs me and I could write probably paragraphs explaining how wrong this was, but I'll save you all the trouble of reading that rant ^^;
The story of Flintstones: Burgertime is (and the give a fairly good cinema opening for this) that Fred's boss Mr. Slate has decided to send Fred over to the Bronto King resterant he bought to rid it of some pest that are infesting it. I must admit, the plot is very Flintstonish, however this doesn't explain why Barney is here, cause Barney doesn't work for Mr. Slate (though there is a lot of people under the misconception that they think he does).
Now let's get to the actual game itself. This game was originally not just Burgertime, but a black and white Gameboy update intitled Burgertime Deluxe. The gameplay in Burgertime Deluxe was pretty much like the original Burgertime with better graphics. Flinstones/Burgertime takes that game, hacks the graphics, and some how seriously messes up the gameplay. The graphics are pretty mediocre, the opening animation is nice, and the sprite for Fred and Barney is pretty good, however everything else is pretty bad. Some of the bad guys blind in with the backgrounds, and there's a little colored box around all of the hamburger peices instead of a transparency, and the graphics seem to glitch up a lot, too. Then there's the gameplay. For some reason Fred and Barney move at a snails pace (Peter in the original Burgertime Deluxe game ran at a good speed), and there's a lot of glitches (sometimes I hit an enemy with a hamburger peice and they only get knocked down a level instead of being smashed), some of the items are completely pointless, hit detection is off (I'll die without enemies even touching me), and the took some of the original game strategies out (like when a monster is standing on a hamburger peice when you knock it down, the hamburger peice is supposed to fall multiple stories, this does not happen in Flintstones: Burgertime. However some of the music is kinda' catchy in an old school PC shareware game sorta' way.
Overall on my scale of 1 and 5 (with 5 being the best) I give this game a 2.5. Pretty much if you want to play a game with the Flintstones pick up the old school black and white Flintstones game for the original GB, and if you want to play a Burgertime game on the go, go pick up the old black and white Burgertime Deluxe, but either accounts you may want to dodge this game.<P>------------------
Yamcha Hibiki:
<A HREF="http://yamcha.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Shinkutokimekisempukaku</A> - It's not just a gamer comic, it's a space gamer comic!
<A HREF="http://kane.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Sub-Culture</A> - A mouse, a fox, and a whole lot of nothing.
<A HREF="http://comicollage.keenspace.com/" TARGET=_blank>Comicollage</A> - Proving that even 7 people put together can't make a decent comic. :p
Yamcha Hibiki
Cartoon Hero

Return to Shinkutokimekisempukaku