RPG's and Politics: This may amuse, or annoy...

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

RPG's and Politics: This may amuse, or annoy...

Postby PedroSteckecilo on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:24 am

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/08/19/mccain-campaign-slams-quotpro-obama-dungeons-amp-dragons-crowdquot

Sort of an interesting article about Republican Presidential Candidate John McCain and his opinions of Roleplayers. And all the folks around here being such staunch Roleplayers, I thought this might be amusing... or annoying. Personally I'm glad I live in Canada and our leaders seem to have better things to comment on than Dungeons and Dragons.
PedroSteckecilo

Re: RPG's and Politics: This may amuse, or annoy...

Postby Dinky on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:43 am

Godless liberals of the world unite.

Remember were all satan worshiping, drug fueled, parent killing advocates of free health care and as such foul miscreants one and all.

The funny thing is most RPG'ers I know are politically conservative card carrying members of the Tory Party.
A geek I am, lest a geek I become.
schneller schneller meine Liebekartoffel.
Why am I sticky and naked?
Did I miss somthing fun?
Dinky
Regular Poster

Postby PedroSteckecilo on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:55 am

I know many from both sides of the fence that roleplay, it's a pretty politically neutral hobby as far as I can tell, hence I wonder why McCain is so... hostile. Ah well, I'm a happy little Canadian Moderate with Liberal sympathies so I can just ignore him. Still find it an interesting article though.
PedroSteckecilo

Postby Narf the Mouse on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:58 pm

...Oddly, I find myself more interested in my ongoing game of Half-life 2.

Of course, I live in Canada, so the lunatic politics of the US don't have such an effect.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thunderhowl on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:51 pm

All McCain did was alienate any gamers that may have been willing to vote for him before but were still on the fence. He should fire the asshats who advised him to make that speech and then wrote it for him, because it's the speech of a desperate man.

I am a Canadian, so I'm not as upset about this as I would normally be, but I can tell you that if I was an American, I'd write McCain a quick letter telling him that his ill-advised attack on my lifestyle choice has cost him my vote. I'd also ask him if he's planning on making any hateful comments about gays and lesbians or minorities next, since bigotry is a slippery slope.

He REALLY needs to fire the guy who told him that statement would be a good idea. :roll:
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:45 pm

Doesn't matter wether someone objects to someone elses lifestyle. No reason to be rude about it.

I don't agree with all of the life choices of an IRC Asatru friend of mine. He doesn't agree with all of mine. We still get along quite well.

The 'trick' is to not be so arrogant as to think that you can dictate to others. Or that you are 'above' common courtesy and friendship. Also, the words 'those people' or related shouldn't be part of your vocabulary, if you take my meaning. :)

And, my personal understanding, any Christian who forgets we're all sinners and starts thinking themselves better and others worse is, Biblically, in more dire straights than the fellow sinner that he or she looks down upon.

Hmm, bit of a rant there.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thanatos5150 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Heh.
Treasonous Gods, I'm so ashamed of my fellow Sailors, sometimes.
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster

Return to Weregeek