New forums...

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

New forums...

Postby Narf the Mouse on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:39 am

...First reaction? Don't like them. Too hard to see stuff.

No insult to the comicgenesis' peoples' hard work, but I don't think they'd want a false opinion.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Re: New forums...

Postby Xaq on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:41 am

Agreed. I REALLY hope they plan to make a new style template, because this one sucks. Bleah.
Xaq
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:37 am

Ewwww....it's all white!
Don't they know that webcomic geeks (especially us gamers) do best in cool dark places?
Hissssss
XP
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Grtdrgn on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:52 am

I haven't checked this time, but earlier when I looked, I couldn't see any of my replies in threads. Shortly after, I couldn't get into the forums. I'm going to try again now.
Grtdrgn
Regular Poster

Postby Grtdrgn on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 am

Definitely don't like them. Not sure if anyone else is having the same issue as I am, but I CANNOT see my posts at all on the threads. It's like all my posts have been made invisible.
Grtdrgn
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:07 pm

I don't like the fact that my posts aren't going in...
Tom the Fanboy

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Narf the Mouse on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:30 pm

I can't see my post in this thread. If I don't edit this, it means I can't see this one, either.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Xaq on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:22 pm

Well, since Alina is moving to her own hosting service, there IS another option for us here on the Weregeek forums. We could take this opportunity to switch to our own forum setup over on the new server, instead of using these Comicgenesis forums.

There's a couple problems with this... for one, we wouldn't be able to bring over old posts. Once people are registered, they could cut-and-paste their old posts and repost them, but that could be a real pain. For two, it would take some time and effort on our part.

On the other hand, having our own forums would mean that we have more control... we could create subforums for forum RPGs, enable funky BB features, merge threads for people, give more space for PM storage, and so forth. And, we could have our own Weregeek-oriented Theme. And it's probably something that we'll want to do eventually anyway, so maybe it's better to do it sooner rather than later.

What are people's thoughts on this?
Xaq
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:28 pm

I dig the new forum idea. I'm for it. Anyone else?
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby Grtdrgn on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:30 pm

Okay, according to one of the tech threads, lots of people are having the same issue. *Some* of them have been able to fix it (myself included) by going into the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit global settings > Hide my online status > "YES".

Major glitch, obviously. I'll be making posts in the IC Rifts thread this evening. For now, I need to get out of Dodge.

Xaq, just saw your post. I see both sides. Maybe we could start new forums for new topics, games, etc, and maintain the old forums to finish up on-going games and the like. Just a thought.
Grtdrgn
Regular Poster

Postby Xaq on Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Well, there's nothing saying that we have to shut down the old forum when we start a new one. In fact, I'd prefer not to. Look at Shlock Mercenary, Howard Tayler has what, four forums now?
Xaq
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:27 am

grtdrgn wrote:Okay, according to one of the tech threads, lots of people are having the same issue. *Some* of them have been able to fix it (myself included) by going into the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit global settings > Hide my online status > "YES".

Major glitch, obviously. I'll be making posts in the IC Rifts thread this evening. For now, I need to get out of Dodge.

Xaq, just saw your post. I see both sides. Maybe we could start new forums for new topics, games, etc, and maintain the old forums to finish up on-going games and the like. Just a thought.

That idea sounds best to me.

Also, can see my posts now.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thunderhowl on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:44 am

OMG! This new template for the forums = teh suxxorz!
Hopefully they will get enough complaints about it, and will therefore change it.
Or I'll get used to it and will cease to care.
*sigh*
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:33 am

Well I can magically see my forum posts now, so that's one problem fixed. Hopefully they'll change the style back, or lets each select our own style. Oooooh...

As for creating a new forum, don't worry about it right now. It'll be cool to have something you can fully control but I don't want you guys spending all your time battling Russian spambots and Turkish hackers who have nothing better to do with their time. My vote goes for comicgenesis right now.
Tom the Fanboy

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thunderhowl on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:28 am

Seconded. Asspain I can deal with, but I can't cut the fingers off a Turkish hacker if he's all the way off in Turkey. Ya'know?
A Zen Koan:
And Knew it.
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster

Postby Xaq on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:50 am

I've been assured by our tech guy (codemonkey Todd) that he can set up a forum with enough anti-spambot protection that it shouldn't be too much of a problem. In any case, I think the major rate-limiting step is going to be when Alina has the time to customize her own Theme template (because otherwise, what's the point?). So, for now, we'll stay here but begin planning for the move.

Todd says he's going to go ahead and installing the phpBB stuff on the new server, but we won't bother going live until Alina has the time to customize. Right now she's super busy working on her first collection book! She wants to get it done in time to have it printed for the Calgary Comic Expo. It looks REALLY slick. :-) So anyway, when we do move to our own forum, maybe towards the end of March, I'm going to see if we can find a way to copy over the most important threads to the new site, so we don't have to start over with our forum games. Sound good to you guys?
Xaq
Regular Poster

Postby Grtdrgn on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:58 am

Sounds peachy, Xaq.
Grtdrgn
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:11 am

Sounds awesome. :)

*thumbs up*
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:16 pm

I'm not worried about my forum rpgs, I've got a copy of Acrobat I can use to make pdf archives.
I can also make adjustments to character sheets that are in the PDF format. :twisted:

I just haven't had that much time for the Rifts game yet.
Tom the Fanboy

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thunderhowl on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:07 pm

YAY! They added forum styles we can pick from! I don't hate the boards anymore! WOOHOO!
A Zen Koan:
And Knew it.
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Weregeek