Online game, be gentle.

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

Online game, be gentle.

Postby Kurrel on Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:24 pm

Alright,

Since it seems people would welcome the opportunity, I am prepping details for a forum-run game.

I would like 3 to 4 players and a game of choice.

I have campaigns for
Exalted : Solars, Lunars, Abyssals, Dragonblooded.
WoD : Vampire, Werewolf.
Lot5R,
D&D.

I warn!! I don't do Eberron.
I run my own world. I discard and rewrite game history as I please. This applies to all my games. If it doesn't gel with the world view I'm creating, it goes!

I double-warn!! I'm a tyrant. Rar!
What this means is I outline a setting and I ask for characters within that setting. It's not any vampire/samurai/cowboy ninja, it's a vampire/samurai/cowboy ninja that fits with the story we are going to create together.

Kurrel,
All smiles.
Kurrel
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:17 am

*swoon*
I'm in two D&D games, 2two exalted games, and I'm running a vampire game.

My vote is for L5R or Werewolf. Though I wouldn't mind playing Vampire a bit since I rarely get the chance.

I'm willing to work within any guidelines you set up. I've been getting rusty with such lax GMs in RL so I relish a more strict atmosphere to keep me sharp.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

System format.

Postby Kurrel on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:26 am

Not knowing any better way to do this, I'm thinking of the following :

I'll pm and talk with people who are playing, then collate everything into a systematic scene detail once a week, probably over weekends.

Threads can be started when people are interacting with each other ICly.

The focus here will be on RP.
Kurrel
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:42 am

So all of the game mechanic OC stuff will be via PM? Cool.
Tom the Fanboy

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Exactly, Watson.

Postby Kurrel on Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:18 pm

Okay, so I'm guessing I can count Tom in... anyone else?
Kurrel
Regular Poster

Postby Susan Calvin on Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:15 am

I have some time over. Have you decided on what to run?
Susan Calvin
Regular Poster

Game of choice

Postby Kurrel on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:07 pm

The vote is currently...

1 : Legend of the 5 Rings.
0 : Everything else.

So far, seems pretty clear. :D
Kurrel
Regular Poster

Postby One post wonder on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:35 pm

I know I say this about every game that comes up, and I was going to skip this one, but I really would like to give one of these a try and people are slower signing up this time around. However, the only game I have researched enough to have a basic understanding of is D&D. So, count me in if it is a D&D type game, or one simple enough that I can teach myself with online resources. (L5R looks like something I would need a lot of help with, though. So I would probably have to pass this over if you opt for that.)
My name made sense when I first thought it up.

I apologize in advance for the inevitable awkwardness.
One post wonder
Regular Poster

Gathering!

Postby Kurrel on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:14 am

A-right,

So, 1 all between D&D and Lot5R?!
Kurrel
Regular Poster

Postby One post wonder on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:08 am

You do not really need to count my vote. I have never really taken part in a P&P game, and I am not sure how well I could enhance the experience for other players. It is just that if it happens to end up being a D&D based game, and you would not mind an additional player who may not be aware of all options available to him, I would love to finally take part in one.

(I was in a D&D game that got started, but it kind of came to an end before it got anywhere. There was not even any real amount of combat.)

One post wonder
Regular Poster

First sketches

Postby Kurrel on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:27 am

I think that, given the delay or lack of response, that it'd be better to simply work through a character sketch-out.

We can provide poses in thread and allow people to join as they will.

Unfortunate, One Post Wonder, seeing as there is already a D&D game going I'm going to go hands off with that, and do Lot5R.

Susan, Tom, One Post Wonder, can you message me if you're still keen.

The game will revolve around character development, with a wide variety of choices affecting a wide variety of things. Bushi, Shugenja and Courtiers will all have their place and suffer their problems for their respective failings.

Kurrel,
All smiles.
Kurrel
Regular Poster

Postby Susan Calvin on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:22 am

Hm... I don't think I've ever tried Lot5R. Could be interesting.
Susan Calvin
Regular Poster

Postby Kurrel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:59 am

Need a rundown? Have access to the books? How may we help? :D
Kurrel
Regular Poster

Postby Pookajoe on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Hey, If there is still a spot open, My Vote is For L5R.

Dennis.
Home Is, Run No More.
Pookajoe
Regular Poster

Postby One post wonder on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:36 am

Kurrel wrote:Need a rundown? Have access to the books? How may we help? :D

Actually, access to the books may or may not be enough for me to figure it out... It all depends on how much info the books contain. Of course, a general rundown would not hurt me either. I really had not heard of L5R till this...

One post wonder
Regular Poster

Spaces open, rundown.

Postby Kurrel on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:02 am

There's just Tom making his character atm, so there's space. It'll be a fairly relaxed game in terms of joining as I won't be running a group so much as a setting, so as characters go they're just 'attending other duties'.

Welcome to join.

As for a rundown... the system is oriental in nature, obviously, but it goes beyond Samurai and adds magic as a working power. There are spirits and powers and kami (gods). Rokugan is the empire, to the west are the shadowlands where the EVIL POWERS (tm) wait, but inside the empire are it's most insidious enemies... those without honour.

Honour is crucial in the game, life comes after service, service comes after honour.

The characters play Samurai, being people of the noble families (Yes, I know there are rules for otherwise... I speak in terms of general setting). The bulk of the empire are serfs and work through life in their allotted positions, fulfilling their role as samurai do the same.

The samurai are divided into clans, which have distinct traits. Crab are strong, large and stubborn, Scorpion are swift, sneaky and wear masks. The great clans are, mostly, descended from the 7 great kami who came and led the human tribes to civilization. They claim descent each from one of these mystical forebears. The exception are the Mantis, who were a coalition of minor clans that forced their way into the big league, making the others accept this group of traders, pirates and individualists accept them. The minor clans are offshoots that have their own distinct personalities.

The line of the emperor was descended from the greatest of these kami, and ruled absolutely. However, that line was cut short several generations ago by a bold and bloody strike from the Shadow. In the ensuing wars, Lion seated an emperor on the throne but ever since, now that the emperor is not clearly sacrosanct, the clans devotion is not absolute and each dreams of placing their own upon the throne. The central rule weakens these days and secret jostling prepares to turn to war once again as ambitions rise. Alliances are forged and broken, and samurai wonder whether today's friends will be enemies tomorrow.

This is then further divided into roles. Bushi are the warriors, wielding weapons with devastating effect while living by the code of conduct that is bushido. Shugenja wield the undeniable powers of magic and the spirit world. Courtiers can destroy lives with but a word, changing the world with the power that is civilization. Several clans have unique roles, such as the scorpion's shinobi (honourable ninja) and Crab berserkers (guess what they do?).

The ancient history of the Rokugani world I run is the same as the canon one, but differs greatly in 'modern' history. The canon world fate is decided by the CCG and has resulted in some absurd twists. Mine remains both more simple and more complex, adjusted so I can run it with the least personal objection.

Kurrel,
All smiles.
Kurrel
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:03 am

If Kurrel doesn't mind, I'll post my Clan and Position since I've already decided.

Either way, here are some wiki links to help you guys learn about the setting.

Legend of the Five Rings Wiki

Rokugan

Phoenix Clan
Dragon Clan
Unicorn Clan
Scorpion Clan
Lion Clan
Crane Clan
Mantis Clan
Crab Clan

For those of you that haven't played the game before, the "schools" are the closest you'll get to a specific kind of class progression. Everything else is point based. Unfortunately since the game data is proprietary, the schools listed in the above articles only off the flavor text from each.
Tom the Fanboy

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Pookajoe on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:31 pm

Looks Good,

I'm not completely sure how running a game online will work, so you'll have to excuse me if I'm a little slow to start.

Also assuming we are using rules from the Table top version of the game itself, are we using the Newest (non-D20 ) release of the game?

If so, I Definately want to be a Tsuruchi trained Archer, I think the wiki refers to it as The Tsuruchi Bounty Hunter.

Tsuruchi Miko, Bushi Bowman "The Blue eyed Wasp"
Last edited by Pookajoe on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home Is, Run No More.
Pookajoe
Regular Poster

Game layout and setting

Postby Kurrel on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:43 pm

Okay, everyone. The system we're using is the latest one, the d10 version with the roll x and keep y.

The Tsuruchi will definitely be okay, though I need to check my little book of black facts to check up on the Tsuruchi Bow.

Bear in mind that there is a fair amount of court and socializing in the game. The characters are not necessarily friends, though they can become so. Combat will play a smaller-than normal part... as in, it will not be the main focus, but will come up regularly.

The way we're going to run this is that I'll PM roll details, numbers, queries and descriptions to each player, and then post the finalized version once a week. When characters are in conversation, that can be an additional thread.

Some changes : The Daidoji Harriers school is replaced by an Iron Wing school, as the harriers are the single most out-of-character school I've seen. Trained and practiced guerilla warfare has no place in my version of the game. The Iron Wing are bushi, meant to help crate standpoints in the middle of a battle around which their ashigaru, less numerous and not as combat adept as some, can rally. Think 'Champion', both inspiring and unfalling.

The Kakita Bush have an additional power at ranks 2 and 4, that actually works in duelling. :P

The Dragon clan is not ruled by an immortal dragon.

The Gods of Sun and Moon have not been killed nor replaced. The 'fashion' for being able to supplant the gods annoys me.

Kurrel,
All smiles.
Kurrel
Regular Poster

PS

Postby Kurrel on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Also, go for it if you're ready, Tom.
Kurrel
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Weregeek