A few little equations

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

A few little equations

Postby Narf the Mouse on Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:07 pm

A = B = Infinity

A - B = ?

A = B * 2
B = Infinity

A - B = ?

A = B / 2
B = Infinity

A - B = ?
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Punstarr on Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:49 pm

*Hisses*

Math!!!!

*Holds up a crucifix*
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby SpotWeld on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:33 pm

Oh it's all infinity, just different kinds of inifinite sets.
-quero satis vereor
SpotWeld

Postby Narf the Mouse on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:47 pm

I have had no formal training beyond high-school level math; while I can be quite intelligent, please don't use 'buzzwords'; I don't know what they mean.

For myself, I'd quantify the infinities as ratios, so we have for the first A = 1/1, B = 1/1. Result is either zero or a zeroed infinity, if possible. Seeing as infinity is a mathematical concept but not a (Traditional) numerical one, that may be possible.

For the second, A = 1/1, B = 1/1...And A/B = 2/1. I can't quite verbalize why, but it makes sense. So, ? = 1/1, ?/A = 1/1, ?/B = 2/1.

My brain is frying due to it being rather late (I got up rather early), so I'll stop there.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby One post wonder on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:00 pm

I will use I as a variable for infinity here... As infinity cannot be quantified, we cannot think of it as an actual number. So, the best we can do is treat it as a variable.

The first is A=B=I. So since A and B have the same value, the answer is
A-B=0.

The second set says B=I, and A=2B. So, A=2I. the problem can be simplified as 2I-I=? Which becomes I=? So, the answer is I.

The third problem comes down to I/2-I=?. As I could be either negative or positive, it has 2 possible answers. If I is positive, the answer will be -I/2. If negative, I/2.

Of course, if you want to know what I equals for any of these, the answer you will always arrive at is I=I...

I think I have these maths right, but I am not sure. What are these problems for anyway? They seem more like an exercise in logic than math. The math is only basic algebra.
Last edited by One post wonder on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My name made sense when I first thought it up.

I apologize in advance for the inevitable awkwardness.
One post wonder
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:06 pm

I totally flunked algebra. It makes my brain explode. Math isn't my forte. English Lit is.
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:24 pm

The piont is to think and discuss and see where it leads.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby One post wonder on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:51 pm

Oh... Sorry. I know there are other systems of math out there. Ones that actually use infinity as a range of values covering every value there is. I just do not know how to use them...

One post wonder
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:02 am

For me, what I don't know is interesting. (Generally)
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sir Ritalin on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:58 am

The answer to each of them is, in fact, 42. To check this assertion, use B = infinity in the equation A - B = ? in each problem:

A - infinity = 42
42 + infinity = A
Clearly, A = infinity. The result checks out.
Sir Ritalin
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:51 am

A = ?

This is not a riddle, it is a statement.
Say it out loud.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Susan Calvin on Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:28 am

I'm and undecided value, and I'm proud!! ^^
Susan Calvin
Regular Poster

Postby Dustman on Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:43 pm

I remember a problem that a friend of mine posed to me. Which is greater: the number of integers between one and infinity, or the number of fractions between zero and one?

I got it wrong.

***Answer*** wrote:There are more decimal places, and here's why: for every integer between one and infinity, you can divide one by that number and get a fraction between zero and one. However, there are fractions in that range that don't have one as the numerator, so there are more fractions than integers.
I figured the two were equal.
"I'm a weatherman, I don't believe in fate."
--Randall Stevens

My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.

Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
Dustman
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:46 pm

All decimal numbers can be divided by one. It's just a matter of which place the one is in.

For proof, just start thinking of a number system in which all whole numbers are divisable by two...
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Clambake 39 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:39 am

It seems to me that the answer to all three of the original questions would be zero, as infinity minus itself is zero and multiplying and dividing infinity by any number still yields infinity.
Clambake 39

Postby Sir Ritalin on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:18 am

No. As I explained in my earlier post, infinity minus itself is 42.
Sir Ritalin
Regular Poster

Postby Clambake 39 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:30 pm

Oh, of course.

I'm terribly sorry to have gotten in the way of you jacking off all over Douglas Adams' grave with my legitimate attempt to answer the questions.
Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. ~Mark Twain

I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!
Clambake 39

Postby One post wonder on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:19 am

The thing I am still having a hard time figuring out is the answer I came up with the last equation. 1/2 infinity... How do you divide in half what by definition is all possible values? I mean, one way to look at it is counting endlessly by one half rather than by 1s, but although that has an infinite number of values, it is not at all the complete definition of infinity. An infinite number of values is skipped every time you count no matter how small of an increment you count by.

So, yeah... If someone could explain to me how a fraction of infinity could be handled, I would love it.

(And give him a break, Clambake. This thread stopped being serious long ago. It is pretty rare anything serious takes place on this forum anyway.)

One post wonder
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:43 am

Simple. Ratios.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sir Ritalin on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:22 am

I just meant that infinity minus infinity can be any number at all, because when you add infinity to any number you get infinity. It seems the way I chose to express this was less clever than I thought it was.
Sir Ritalin
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Weregeek