North Prairie Adventures - Rifts OOC

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:27 pm

grtdrgn wrote:Tom,

I know it is not listed in the Ley Line Walker OCC, but in the section under the TW OCC, when it talks about the TW "Magic Ley Line Mechanisms" (pg. 94 of my Rifts core book) it states that Ley Line Walkers have a base piloting skill of 60% (+2% per level) to pilot all ley line vehicles. That is why I chose the wing board as my vehicle for when I am near a ley line.

>_<
OK, can someone else confirm this in their Rifts book? I'm not finding it in the Ultimate Edition.

Well you only get one vehicle either way so make your choice.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Grtdrgn on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:45 pm

Okay, getting a little creative here, and this entirely depends on GM approval...

Instead of the wing board, I choose a motorcycle. However, since the choices of motorcycles in Rifts are in a price range that Morgan can not afford, he managed to find a black market dealer who was importing conventional vehicles from another world through a Rift, and marking up the prices.

Morgan was able to find a "Motorcycle - Light: AR 5, SDC 50, Speed 90mph, Range 120 miles, Cost: $500+" (taken from Revised Heroes Unlimited pg.221, Third Printing) for 8000 credits with a full tank of gas.
Grtdrgn
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:59 pm

Really, OK. You can have that if you want, but the starting equipment isn't always limited to the price range. You can have a highwayman or a wastelander if you want. For starting weapons or vehicles or armor the price is less of a concern than how exotic/powerful it is.

If you want your Black Market item to be the Souped up SDC motorcycle then I'll allow that. It'll even allow you to have the 3,000 starting credits you'd normally have.
Tom the Fanboy

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Grtdrgn on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:10 pm

That being the case, I will start with the Wastelander, and no credits.

Wastelander:
120 mph, combustion engine, 400 miles max range, length 9ft, 800lbs.
45 MDC, no weapons.
Grtdrgn
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:27 pm

So you want the Wastelander and no wing board?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was offering the SDC motorcycle as an additional vehicle to the wingboard.
Your call.

Oh, and everyone else? I'll wait for everyone to post before I give you guys the next piece of flavor text. Since I wrote that dialog I've come up with a nice little outline for the games first mystery. I'm very excited. :D
Tom the Fanboy

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Xaq on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Yay!! RIFTS = awesome. :)
Xaq
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:54 pm

xaq, I will keep track of when your Multi-Optics eye and amplified hearing apply to Perception checks. Mostly they will give you a chance to roll a perception check when no one else gets a chance, the roll will just show how well you pay attention/notice what you're capable of hearing or seeing.

Everyone remember to us the "font colour" tool above the posting box for your dialog!
Tom the Fanboy

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Xaq on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Gotcha. I edited my post to fix the font colour thing. :)
Xaq
Regular Poster

Postby Grtdrgn on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Tom. I'll stick with the Wastelander and no wing board. I'm sure I can pick up a wing board later when I have the money.
Grtdrgn
Regular Poster

Postby Thunderhowl on Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:59 am

Tom the Fanboy wrote:
grtdrgn wrote:Tom,

I know it is not listed in the Ley Line Walker OCC, but in the section under the TW OCC, when it talks about the TW "Magic Ley Line Mechanisms" (pg. 94 of my Rifts core book) it states that Ley Line Walkers have a base piloting skill of 60% (+2% per level) to pilot all ley line vehicles. That is why I chose the wing board as my vehicle for when I am near a ley line.

>_<
OK, can someone else confirm this in their Rifts book? I'm not finding it in the Ultimate Edition.

Well you only get one vehicle either way so make your choice.

It's in the main Rifts rules in the section on Ley Line magic devices. TW get a base 74%+2%/lvl and ley line walkers get a 60%base+2%/lvl. In the Rifts RPG Collectors hardcover it's on pg 94.

For future reference.
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster

Postby Thunderhowl on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:02 am

Punstarr wrote:Those things cost like 1.5 million credits though, don't they?

Cost isn't factored in when determining starting vehicle or power armor.
A Glitter Boy is 25 million, for example.
I didn't ask for it because it's worth lots, but rather because it would have made sense as the vehicle Rex would have made his escape with.

I'm cool with the truck though...I can carry more stuff now! :)
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:04 am

Thunderhowl wrote:
Punstarr wrote:Those things cost like 1.5 million credits though, don't they?

Cost isn't factored in when determining starting vehicle or power armor.
A Glitter Boy is 25 million, for example.
I didn't ask for it because it's worth lots, but rather because it would have made sense as the vehicle Rex would have made his escape with.

I'm cool with the truck though...I can carry more stuff now! :)

Ahh alright, no worries. I thought cost was a factor. My old GM always played it as if it were... he was pretty stingy. ;)
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:07 am

Tom the Fanboy wrote:OK, as for Punstarr's energy issue...
The power lists Light, Fire, Electricity, and Energy.
Light is lasers.
Fire is fire, magic fire, burster fire AND Plasma weapons.
Electricity include natural lightning, magical lightning, and taser-like devices.

I am going to rule the Energy will apply to particle beams and ion blasts for the purposes of your power. Anything that is listed as an energy beam and nothing more will also count Ion blasts can be argued to be electricity and particle beams can be argued to be kinetic. However I'm the friggin GM so I can decide stuff like this.
you're immune to my favorite pistol though, so don't worry!

Antimatter is right out!

Thanks for the clarification, Tom! :)

I'm still wondering about my other question, though...

Punstarr wrote:One question though. Super Energy Expulsion isn't in the old conversion book. Do you happen to have the new conversion book and if so, is it listed in there, or are we just going to straight convert SDC damage for it to MDC?
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby Grtdrgn on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:11 pm

Punstarr, nice Perception roll in the IC thread. Natural 20, jeez. :o

On another note, I've never played a campaign where we rolled for Perception, so I'm learning new things as I go.

Then again, all my previous RPG experience was playing table-top games with my friends in high school, so I expect for things to be different than how I played back then.
Grtdrgn
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:40 pm

grtdrgn wrote:Punstarr, nice Perception roll in the IC thread. Natural 20, jeez. :o

Yeah I was all saying "hoody hoo!" and my wife gave me a weird look.

...then I told her I'd rolled a nat 20 and she too said "hoody hoo!"

I love being married to a gamer. :D
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby Grtdrgn on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:04 pm

Punstarr wrote:Ahh alright, no worries. I thought cost was a factor. My old GM always played it as if it were... he was pretty stingy. ;)

This was also the source of my confusion about the starting vehicle, since we either had one that we bought with our starting credits, or one the GM assigned to us based on our pilot skill and the requirements of the campaign.
Grtdrgn
Regular Poster

Postby Thedon on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:57 pm

This have changed in my life as they always do.
and unforantuly as much as i would love to play i can't.
I have to step down, I have to reply on library comp from here on in.

See roomies are moving out and for next while i'll be saving up fro my own laptop or comp either or.
So i'll won't have access to the net, well not reliable access.

Well once i have my own comp and net set up i'll see about getting back into the game.

Sorry gang..totally out of my hands...
Yeah. Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's
top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department.
That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger.
That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart.
Thedon
Regular Poster

Postby Xaq on Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:07 am

I was kind of afraid that would happen... keep us all posted though man. If you do happen to get regular computer access in the relatively-near future, it would be nice to have the cowboy/gunslinger join the party down the road.
Xaq
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:24 am

I'm sorry to hear that man. I hope things improve for you down the road.
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:30 am

Awww... OK thedon.
Well if you get a computer while the party is out on the prairie your character can definitely meet up with them. Good luck man.

As luck would have it for the rest of you, I was just waiting for thedon to post before moving on. Now I'll commence with the game.

Punstarr, I finally looked up the Energy Expulsion conversions and the Super Energy Expulsion rules at the same time.

HU2 Energy Expulsion: 2d6 +1d6/level
HU2 Super Energy Expulsion: 3d6 +1d6/level, 1/round you can do a Super Blast that deals 1d6x10 +1d6/level!

Conversion Book Energy Expulsion: 1d6 MD/level

Tom's Conversion Super Energy Expulsion: 2d6 +1d6/level, Super blast deals 1d6x10 +3/level
That seems like it makes sense to me. You get all those other special abilities already so this should do fine. I think thatI will rule a specification though, you can't do the super blast when you're absorbing/channeling power into attacks. If you stand in a fire you're going to have to settle for 2d6+1d6/level for your fire bursts. :wink:

Just as a note to you guys, I don't actually have the old Rifts book. It was lost/stolen at some point when there was a big split in my old gaming group. I only have my nice big copy of the Ultimate Edition and it seems a lot of stuff that still makes sense was left out (specifically the ley line walker piloting thing). Thanks for being so cooperative guys, there's a possibility we might have to do more cross referencing in the future.
Tom the Fanboy

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Weregeek