North Prairie Adventures - Rifts OOC

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

Postby Xaq on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:12 am

I'm cool with Thunderhowl's idea about meeting up with a merc company. We'll hang out when he gets here next week and see what we can come up with for more details. :) I'll get Alina to post the rest of her character some time over this weekend as well.

Hooray RIFTS!
Xaq
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:20 am

So as it stands there is a city of cardboard cut out NPCs, and two characters.
Dark Energy and Rex are in the bar next to the airport playing cards for the next bottle of whiskey.

Meanwhile, on the far side of town, a TW stagecoach rolls to a stop and two men come out. The first wears glasses and a bowler hat and is looking a little worn. The second comes out smiling like his teeth are pistols in a gunfight, shining and dangerous. As the silvertongues 'slinger starts in on a welcome speech to the city at large the man in the bowler examines one of the cardboard citizens.

"Hello people of WyNeKota! As your governor it is my lucky duty to announce that the North Prairie Railroad will be-" He is interrupted in mid sweep of his arm by his assistant in the bowler.

"Mr. Governer, these people are dummies!" The .45 caliber smile thins as the lips squeeze out an admonition at the frayed assistant,

"Of course they are, how do you think I got elected?"

*rimshot*

OK seriously though, we got two folks in town. How about the results of the big meeting xaq?

I can has backstory for Christmas?
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thunderhowl on Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:27 am

Hopefully our backstory will be planned this morning/afternoon. I'm in mid-vacation and having a ton of fun. Our current plan is to hang out today.

We'll keep you updated.
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:30 pm

Awesome, glad to hear it.

I just couldn't resist the Blazing Saddles reference.
Tom the Fanboy

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Punstarr on Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:17 pm

Heh. REALLY looking forward to this game, guys. It should rock. :D

We gonna wait till after the holidays to start the IC thread?
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:17 am

Yeah, we pretty much have to. So many of us are going to be on vacation and puting together other stuff for the holidays so I don't expect stuff to get rolling.

I'll just keep the thread from rolling over and let you all know when we're ready to get started. If you can believe it, I'm planning on this to be even slower than the D&D game. My ability to post daily is dependant on how busy we are at work. This week we've been really slow, after the 1st we'll probably be busy again.

I do plan on using a lot more PMs in this game though. As a Vampire Storyteller I use private notes like most people use their feet.

All the time. :wink:
Tom the Fanboy

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thunderhowl on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:26 am

Because a)we suck, and b)xaq was the Mayor of Busytown while I was in Deadmonton, we didn't get much of a chance to talk about our characters for Rifts, but we're old friends and can pretty much play off each others cues. We'll say that Rex and Karsh have left their current merc company for "greener pastures" and the search of employment more geared towards adventure and excitement and less towards guard duty and latrine digging. :wink:
We've heard that there are still undiscovered cashes of Pre-Rifts artifacts in the Wilds of the West and we're looking for other hearty adventurer-types to go exploring with. It's hard to make any money sitting on your butt in town, after all.
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster

Postby Xaq on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:50 am

Sure, this will work fine. Some more detail:

Karsh joined with the mercenary company Joren's Raiders down in Fort El Dorado, several years ago. The company worked their way northward over the years, fighting in some of the Coalition border wars up through Minnesota and eventually came to the wilds of old Canada. It was there that Karsh and Rex first met... Rex had fled the Coalition states and had traveled west from Ironheart, and found a temporary home with the Raider's. The work was far from pleasant... Joren's Raiders were working for a group of Canadian Rangers at that time, hunting Xiticix on the old Manitoba border. It involved a lot of fruitless searching through untamed wilderness and sudden night battles with the well-organized Xiticix... and since Karsh and Joren, leader of the company, had been butting heads lately, Karsh was getting all the nasty jobs. He and Rex, the only two obviously-inhuman members of the company, quickly became friends and so when Karsh finally got fed up with the situation, Rex chose to go with Karsh when he left.

Since then, the two of us have been traveling southwesterly, searching for greener pastures, better paying work, and adventure. After a week or so of travel, we find ourselves cresting a rise and looking down upon the small community of WyNeKota. In need of a good hot meal and a bath, we make our way down into town...

(Anything to add, Rex?)
Xaq
Regular Poster

Postby Alina P on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:09 pm

Whew! Finally got my character sorted out. Forgot how much was involved in making a Rifts character! Anyway, the stats are all there in my previous post on the first page, rather than taking up more space here.

Background to come tomorrow, when I'm less brain-dead. :)
Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 am

Alright, looks good Alina!

So we've got three PCs worked out, Karsh and Rex are at the bar near the airport and we'll say that Dark Energy has gotten to know Pedro over the past few days.

That leaves the burster, saddle tramp, and mind melter... right?
Tom the Fanboy

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Xaq on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:40 pm

I wouldn't wait too long for the saddletramp... thedon doesn't have regular computer access, and might not be online very often. A PM to each player might be in order as well. :-)
Xaq
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:16 am

Well I am finally back home from our vacation with the in-laws for the holidays... so I am wide open and ready to rumble! :D
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby Thedon on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:52 am

The character is done..
i just need time to put him on e-paper (ie here).

I'm happy with what i have...
Toss up as always do i want combat goonie..or skills out the whazoo..I went skill wise. I like him, plan old human, no powers no psy-stuff. yay hand to hand basic..

on a side note, finally getting to play Palladum...i have me a human ranger with wp Longbow.
Yeah. Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's
top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department.
That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger.
That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart.
Thedon
Regular Poster

Postby Xaq on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:59 am

Eeeexcellent. :-)
Xaq
Regular Poster

Postby Chibiyuri on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:09 am

Mine is set, I'm in the same bar as Karsh and Rex, just waiting ^_^
For the request which I am going to ask of you, please reply with either "Okay" or "Yes".
Chibiyuri
Regular Poster

Postby Thedon on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:20 am

He flew for hours, finally coming to rest in a small village. It was there that he met a woman by the name of Erin Tarn and her entourage...

BOOOOO TARN...
All Hail Prosek *salute*
Yeah. Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's
top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department.
That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger.
That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart.
Thedon
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:56 am

Bah. I always liked Erin... even if she is too much of an optimist and not enough of a realist. She's like that really cool grandmother some people have.
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby Chibiyuri on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:15 am

I agree, Erin Tarn was fun to read
For the request which I am going to ask of you, please reply with either "Okay" or "Yes".
Chibiyuri
Regular Poster

Postby Grtdrgn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:58 pm

Thank you for letting me join. I'm very excited to be playing Rifts after all these years.

Background:
Born in a small cabin near the Canadian border of Montana, Morgan Elaison has spent all twenty-seven years of his life so far in the search for knowledge, truth, and inner peace. His father was a Mystic and his mother was a Scholar. He studied his father from the time that he was able to crawl. Frequently finding his father in a meditative state, he imitated this action starting at the tender age of 3. His father encouraged Morgan's curiosity, though he knew that his son did not have the same mental abilities inherent within him. By the time Morgan was 5, he had created a habit of visiting the small ley line two miles North of the cabin, and combined his father's habit of meditation with his own of visiting ley lines.

He found the blue energy to be not only calming to his mind and body, he also discovered a sort of bond with the energy. He soon found that the ley lines enhanced his energy, but also his curiosity.

His mother also had some influence on his upbringing. Never wanting to hinder his inquisitive nature, she taught him the most important skill she could; how to read. He would read anything he could get his hands on (which was not much, admittedly.) His favorite book to read is a salvaged copy of "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" by pre-Rifts author Dan Millman. He quickly incorporated this habit with his ley line visits as well. Soon, if he was not meditating at the ley line, he was reading at it.

Born with brown eyes, his parents were mildly surprised to discover that the longer Morgan was around the ley lines, the lighter the coloration of his eyes became. When he was 9, his eyes had turned to the same startling blue of the ley lines.

In his early teens, his family was visited by a TW wizard who turned out to be an uncle on his father's side. Having heard of his nephew's obsession with meditation, he had created something he thought would be helpful. He gifted Morgan with a TW powered harp. This quickly was incorporated into Morgan's meditations.

When he was 14, he came home from his latest visit to the ley line (he had been gone for 3 days), and found the cabin was almost completely destroyed. At first his eyes turned to a shade of yellow with fear, and as he searched through the rubble of the once peaceful cabin, they turned a red reminiscent of the pre-Rifts traffic lights from his anger.

He found no remaining evidence of his mother or father, and was barely able to salvage any items of value. Unsure of what had caused the damage or where his family was, he retreated to the only place he felt safe in the world. After two days of meditation using his TW harp, he found that he had the ability to become like a ball of energy and phase along the ley line to anywhere along that line.

Without the love and support of his family, his eyes have changed to a sparkling silver. When within 3 feet of a ley line, his eyes regain that brilliant blue color, reflective of that inherent energy. During his travels, he has learned methods of self-defense, including magical spells which will help him to protect himself and others.

To this day he still seeks an answer to what happened to his mother and father. He hopes to still find them alive some day.

He has traveled thousands of miles across the Americas, learning techniques, skills, and spells to help him. He now wanders into the city of WyNekota and stops in the bar for a refreshing beverage, and overhears an ongoing conversation between a Dog Boy and a Cyborg Minotaur.

Code: Select all
IQ  14 * Name:  Morgan Elaison * Appearance: Wears a hooded full-length cloak. Color of 
MA  11 * OCC:      Line Walker * eyes change dependent on energy channeled.
ME  13 * Alignment: Scrupulous * Disposition: Usually alone, but is friendly. Uses time
PS  19 * Race:           Human * alone for meditation.
PP  09 * Level:              1 * Height:   5'7" * Eyes: Silver * Age:     27
PE  15 * Exp.:             425 * Weight:    163 * Hair: Silver * Skin: White
PB  13                         * PPE:       115 * HP:       21 * SDC:     36
Spd 12 * Run at 4m/s Run at 8mph, 60m/melee

** Saving Throws ******************** Racial abilities ****************
Save vs Horror:     +4             ** Speak Native Language: American               98%
Save vs -------:______             

** OCC skills *********************** OCC Special Abilities ******************
Climbing/Rappelling:      60/50+5% ** Sense ley line and magic energy
Land Navigation:             40+4% ** Read Ley Lines
Wilderness Survival:         35+5% ** Ley Line Transmission
Pilot Hover Craft:           55+5% ** Ley Line Phasing
Lore: Demon:                 35+5% ** Line Drifting
Math: Basic:                 55+5% ** Ley Line Rejuvenation
Language: Spanish:           65+5% ** Ley Line Observation Ball
Language: Japanese:          65+5%
Lore: Magic:                 35+5%
Lore: Psionics:              35+5%
Lore: Pre-Rifts:             35+5%
Lore: The West:              35+5%

** OCC Related Skills *************** Secondary Skills *********
Astronomy:                   35+5% ** Acrobatics: (Skills listed below character sheet)
Botany:                      35+5% ** Athletics (general)
Literacy: American:          35+5% ** Boxing
Play Instrument: Harp:       45+5% ** W.P. Energy Rifle
Prowl:                       30+5% ** Hand to Hand(2 skill points): Martial Arts
Pilot: Motorcycle:           62+4%
Hand to Hand(1 skill point)

-WP-          Strike  Parry  Dmg   ** Hand to Hand Combat: Martial Arts
Energy Rifle   +3      +0     +0   ** Strike+__ * APM:  3
                                   ** Parry +3 * Init +__
                                   ** Dodge +3 * Roll +7
                                   ** Pull Punch +3
                                   ** Punch Damage: 1D4 Kick Damage:   1D8
                                   ** Special Bonuses: +4 to damage

Armor: The Crusader * Features: Full Environmental
Total MDC:   55     * 11 lbs.
Current MDC: 55     * Full Mobility (no Prowl penalty)

Melee Weapons  Strike Parry Damage
Survival Knife:  +__    +__  1D4+4 SDC
Hand Axe:        +__    +__  1D4+4 SDC

Ranged Weapons: Aim/Wild  Damage Ammunition
Browning GP 9mm:  +0     2D6 SDC 13/mag 3 mags
Energy Rifle:     +3     3D6 MDC 20/clip 2 clips

** Spell Name      ** PPE cost ** Duration      **  Range  **
Cloud of Smoke     **        2 **  4 melees/lvl ** 90 ft **
--Effect: Create a cloud of dense, black smoke (30'x30'x30') up to 90' away. Victims -5 to strike, parry, and dodge.
Globe of Daylight  **        2 ** 12 melees/lvl ** Up to 30' away**
--Effect: Small globe of true daylight which can light an area up to 12'/lvl. Can move at a max speed attribute of 12.
See the Invisible  **        4 **  4 melees/lvl ** 200 ft **
--Effect: See forces, objects and creatures which can turn invisible or are naturally invisible.
Chameleon          **        6 ** 18 melees/lvl ** Self or others by touch **
--Effect: 90% undetectable if unmoving.
Fear               **        5 **  4 melees/lvl ** 20' area up to 100' away **
--Effect: Anyone in or who enters the specified area must roll to save vs. Horror factor 16.
Levitation         **        5 ** 12 melees/lvl ** Up to 60' away **
--Effect: Raise self, others, or objects into the air. Maximum weight 200lbs + 20/lvl. Maximum height 60' + 10/lvl.
Armor of Ithan     **       10 **  4 melees/lvl ** Self or others by touch **
--Effect: 10 MDC/lvl. Magic, fire, lightning, and cold do 1/2 dmg.
Impervious to Fire **        5 ** 20 melees/lvl ** Self or others up to 60' **
--Effect: Normal and magic fires do no damage to the person or anything on them.
Telekinesis        **        8 **  4 melees/lvl ** 60' **
--Effect: Maximum weight 60lbs. +3 to strike/+4 to parry.
Multiple Image     **        7 **  4 melees/lvl ** Self **
--Effect: Creates 3 identical images of the mage, mimicking all his movements. +2 initiative, +2 dodge, +1 to strike. Piercing a false image with iron will dispel that image. Special penalty of -4 to save.
Seal               **        7 **  8 melees/lvl ** 100' **
--Effect: Magically prevent any inanimate object from being opened. At (and beyond) 4th lvl, can seal every door, window, and enclosure within an 100' area.
Shadow Meld        **       10 **  8 melees/lvl ** Self **
--Effect: Can hide in shadows at least 5' tall. Invisible to all except Infrared. Susceptible to physical, psychic, and magic attacks but attackers are -5 to strike because they can not see the mage.

Equipment:
Full-length hooded cloak
Set of clothing
Set of traveling clothes
Set of light MDC armor
Knapsack
Backpack
2 small sacks
Large sack
Six wooden stakes and mallet
Canteen
Binoculars
Tinted sunglasses
Air filter and gas mask
Flashlight
100' of lightweight cord and grappling hook
Pen and pencils and sketchpad
TW Harp
"Way of the Peaceful Warrior" by Dan Millman
Wastelander Motorcycle
(Gas engine, full tank, 120 mph, 400 miles max range, 45 MDC)
0 credits (all spent on equipment)

OCC Abilities:
Sense ley line and magic energy
Sense Ley Line: Can sense ley lines within 10 mi/lvl Can follow the feeling to locate the ley line with a skill of 30+5%
Sense Ley Line Nexus: Once the ley line has been found, can follow it to as many nexus points as it intersects at a skill of 40+5%
Sense a rift: Automatically senses rifts that open within a range of 50 mi. + 10mi/lvl
Sense magic in use: Can feel expenditure of magic at a distance of 100 ft/lvl
See magic energy: See magical aura stronger than 20 PPE in line of sight up to 1000 ft.

Read Ley Lines: Instantly know which directions it runs, how long, if there are nexus points, which direction they are, and whether there are any rifts open along the line. Can also sense if there are any natural disasters currently happening along the line.

Ley Line Transmission: Send short verbal and/or visual messages to people along a ley line as a one-way communication with only a few second delay. Can be sent to 1 person/lvl on the line. Telepathics (psionic or magic) have a chance to listen in on the message with a 20% chance for them to sense, and 31% chance to receive.

Ley Line Phasing: Instantaneous transport from one place on a ley line to another on the same line. Requires 1D4 melees of concentration to perform the technique. Max phasings in an hour is 4. Max in 24 hours is 4+1/lvl.

Line Drifting: Can float or walk along the length of the ley line with no exertion at a Spd factor of 10.

Ley Line Rejuvenation: With concentration, can absorb ley line energy to double healing rate over a period of days. Can also perform instant rejuvenation as often as once every 24 hours at the site of a ley line. After 10 minutes of concentration, he is fully rested, alert, and restores 2D6 HP and 2D6 SDC.

Ley Line Observation Ball: 1 SDC/lvl. Can go as far as 500 ft from creator. Moves up to Spd 33 (22mph). +3 to dodge. Actions are directed by line walker and count as melee actions.

Initial Spell Knowledge: Three spells each from levels 1-4

Learning New Spells: Additional spells of any level may be learned or purchased at any time regardless of walker's lvl.

Magic Bonuses: +4 to save vs. horror. +1 to save vs. magic at lvls 3, 6, 9, 11, and 14. +1 to spell strength at lvls 3, 7, 10, and 13.

PPE: 8 x 10 + 20 + PE(15) = 115. Add 3D6 PPE/additional level.

Acrobatic skills:
Sense of Balance: 60+5%
Walk tightrope or high wire: 60+3%
Climb rope: 80+2%
Back flip: 60+5%

Attributes: 14, 11, 13, 15, 8, 14, 13, 11
IQ 14
MA 11
ME 13
PS 15 +1 (Acrobatics) +1 (Athletics) +2 (Boxing) = 19
PP 8 +1 (Acrobatics) = 9
PE 14 +1 (Acrobatics) = 15
PB 13
Spd 11 +1 (Athletics) = 12
HP: PE(15) + 6 = 21
SDC 15 + 5 + 7 + 9 = 36

Skill Bonuses:
Climbing/Rappelling: 40/30 + 15% (Acrobatics) + 5% (OCC) = 60/50%
Land Navigation: 36 + 4% (OCC) = 40%
Wilderness Survival: 30 + 5% (OCC) = 35%
Pilot: Hover Craft: 50 + 5% (OCC) = 55%
Lore: Demon: 25 + 10% (OCC) = 35%
Math: Basic: 45 + 10% (OCC) = 55%
Language: Spanish: 50 + 15% (OCC) = 65%
Language: Japanese: 50 + 15% (OCC) = 65%
Astronomy: 25 + 10% (OCC) = 35%
Botany: 25 + 10% (OCC) = 35%
Literacy: American: 30 + 5% (OCC) = 35%
Play Instrument: Harp: 35 + 10% (OCC) = 45%
Prowl: 25 + 5% (Acrobatics) = 30%
Pilot: Motorcycle: 60 + 2% (OCC) = 62%

H2H Combat:
2 attacks to start + 1 (Boxing) = 3 attacks
+3 to roll with punch, fall or impact +1 (Boxing) +1 (Athletics) +2 (Acrobatics) = +7
+3 to pull punch
+2 to parry (Boxing) +1 (Athletics) = +3
+2 to dodge (Boxing) +1 (Athletics) = +3
+4 to Damage (PS 19)
Last edited by Grtdrgn on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Grtdrgn
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:51 pm

Well the game hasn't started yet really, so maybe.
More players will end up dragging the game speed down though so I'll put it to a vote of the players.

Hey everyone, do we have room for another player or is 7 enough?

Note:
When we do finally get going I'll be pretty lax about character posting until combat, but if I feel we need to move things along I'm not shy about controlling your character until you start posting again.
Tom the Fanboy

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Weregeek