The Zombie Apocalypse Thread

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

The Zombie Apocalypse Thread

Postby DrunkenPrayer on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:18 am

Thanks Alina, if it wasn't for the recent strips then this thread might not exists, and let's face it every forum needs one.

Ok if you don't know the drill, hypothetically a zombie apocalypse has broken out. The undead are rampaging through the streets. The government is powerless to do anything and society is breaking down as people flee major cities and loot stores. What do you do?
For ease I'm using Max Brooks style zombies not voodoo or other types. For reference material (if you don't own his books) go here http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/zombiesurvivalguide/

Personally I'd go looking for a cave accessable by climbing, preferably near a source of fresh water but if not salt water would do and provide a renewable food source in the form of fish. Also preferably only accessable by vertical climb to prevent zombies from reaching it.
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." - Charlie Brown
DrunkenPrayer
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:31 am

I has a lawn mower. It's gas-powered.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby FirstAidKit on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:51 am

I'm on an island with easy access to the water, which makes life easier. I've already got plans to grab my cricket bat and machete and head for the docks, or, barring that, hole myself up in the seaside fort not far from campus.

It's always fun to go to a new place and consider what you would do in event of zombies.
"Nothing is ever easy."

"...You can't take the sky from me."
FirstAidKit
Regular Poster

Postby Thunderhowl on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:58 am

First I would gather my prepared supplies, and then rendevous with my prepared group. We'd follow our fluid escape plan and head for my cabin off Lake Diefenbaker in order to regroup and take stock of our situation. From there we'd head North to the Arctic, keeping away from major traffic routes and pockets of civilization, and we'd wait for either surviving governments to assert control of our sector, or we'd slowly fight back from our "Fortress of Solitude" until we eventually were overcome by factors beyond our control (ie: elements, starvation, zombies).

I'm not kidding when I tell people that the Zombie Survival Guide will save your life. I have my copy...do you have yours?
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:22 am

Last time Z-Day hit I got stuck at home. our apartment has exposed stairs so we managed to dismantle the 1st flight of stairs on our building so zombies couldn't get up. Sure we were stranded but we had 16 apartments worth of supplies at our disposal and the government had managed to save the day about 48 hours later. We were lucky.

http://www.nostalgiaforinfinity.com/neverscapes/?p=30

Since I have no car I'm screwed. I got no way of getting out of town fast enough.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby FirstAidKit on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:41 am

Don't worry, Tom. In event of Zombie Apocalypse, you won't want the car because everyone will be trying to get out in a car and there will be giant traffic jam and many will be eaten. Plus, the cars can run out of gas. Grab a bicycle and get out of town (and don't forget your cricket bat for in transit zombie thwarting).
"Nothing is ever easy."

FirstAidKit
Regular Poster

Postby SoItBegins on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:12 am

As my preferred avatar has been particularly powerful lately, I'd just edit reality to make it not be happening.

Poof! :D
There's no such thing as chance;
and what to us seems merest accident
springs from the deepest source of Destiny.
--Return of the Phantom

Mortal and proud of it!!

How not to do it: "Hi, Mr. Dragon. I've come to destroy you, so would you mind if I borrowed your Fireproof Skin Balm recipe first?"
SoItBegins
Regular Poster

Postby DrunkenPrayer on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:48 am

Thunderhowl wrote:I'm not kidding when I tell people that the Zombie Survival Guide will save your life. I have my copy...do you have yours?

I only have the abridged version that came free with an issue of PC Gamer since I loaned the full version to a friend. I'm now unprepared.

Thankfully my garage has a large assortment of garden tools and other bits and bobs that could be easily fashioned into weapons that would be effective for fighting small swarms at mid range, anything more than say half a dozen though and I'd have to do some quick thinking.
Ideally I think a cruise ship or something similiar with an atrium to grow food would be perfect if it wasn't too far off the coast so that there's less danger from storms.
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." - Charlie Brown
DrunkenPrayer
Regular Poster

Postby Sir Ritalin on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:46 am

This is a serious problem. I'm on the San Francisco Peninsula, and with the cities impassable I'm facing a very long walk out through the Santa Cruz Mountains. Thank heaven this happened in the rainy season; I can rig some sort of funnel to collect water for drinking. As for food, I'll cook up all the rice in the kitchen before I leave, and take the big jar of apricots. If I'm careful and lucky, I could keep going for weeks. By then, though, I'll certainly be ragged and muddy enough to look like a zombie myself. Suggestions for not getting shot on sight?
Sir Ritalin
Regular Poster

Postby SoItBegins on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:00 am

Wear a sign around your neck that says 'I Am Not A Zombie'.

Oh, wait... that'll probably make you more likely to be shot.
--Return of the Phantom

Mortal and proud of it!!

How not to do it: "Hi, Mr. Dragon. I've come to destroy you, so would you mind if I borrowed your Fireproof Skin Balm recipe first?"
SoItBegins
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:28 am

I'd put on my zombie makeup and tattered clothes and pretend to be one... all you can eat brains buffet? Count me in!
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby FirstAidKit on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:42 am

The Santa Cruz mountains are going to be your lifesaver if you have the forethought to gather supplies and the ability to live in them. Hide there for a while and then forge your new empire once the dust has settled.

The Zombie Survival guide is a wonderful read, and provides you with an endless amount of thought experiments. My last 3 and a half hour drive into the mountains was entire occupied with how you would get there in case of zombie apocalypse, how you would live, fight back against the undead horde, etc.
"Nothing is ever easy."

FirstAidKit
Regular Poster

Postby CooperNRG on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:17 pm

When Z-Day hits, my friends and I are heading for the nearest Home Depot, fortifying it, and making forays out for supplies not already found there.
Guns don't kill people, Magic Missles do.
CooperNRG
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:25 pm

SoItBegins wrote:As my preferred avatar has been particularly powerful lately, I'd just edit reality to make it not be happening.

Poof! :D

Well, if we're bring Avatars into this...

...I'd just move up into my planet-sized spaceship.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dustman on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:05 pm

Heh. On a vaguely similar note, I watched Resident Evil: Extinction earlier this evening.

I don't think I could be considered chauvinistic if I said Milla Jovovich was the film's only real redeeming quality.

*SPOILER* (like the story really matters.)

I mean, c'mon. The final boss fight was a girl in short-shorts facing off against a tentacle monster? Say CHEESE!

But it did bring up a good point about zombies. Want to avoid them? Move somewhere cold. Human beings are not furry, and we don't deal with cold weather all that well. Us living folks would be smart enough to wear jackets and such, but zombies wouldn't have that advantage. I'm not really sure what sort of food you'd have to live off of in the Frozen North, but the Eskimos did it so I guess it's feasible. Besides, I'm sure you could set up a greenhouse, maybe with solar-powered climate control, to eventually have indoor farms. It'd take a while, but again, it's feasible.

In the short-term, though, I'd totally raid a Lowe's so I could reinforce my vehicle and pick up a nail-gun. Nearly as effective as a bullet-gun, and ammunition would be much much lighter. I'd still pick up some weapons and ammunition from the local Wal-Mart, along with enough food-stuffs to get me on the road north.

Hmm... wow, this really is a fun thought experiment. I need to make notes while I'm sitting in class bored tomorrow. And the day after.
"I'm a weatherman, I don't believe in fate."
--Randall Stevens

My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.

Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
Dustman
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:34 pm

Dustman wrote:Heh. On a vaguely similar note, I watched Resident Evil: Extinction earlier this evening.

I don't think I could be considered chauvinistic if I said Milla Jovovich was the film's only real redeeming quality.

*Twitch* Sorry, not a fan of her. After she blatantly upstaged everyone in the first and second movies I was upset... but when she upstaged Jill Valentine in what would have been the -one- cool moment she got in the movie, she got a special place in my heart... one of hatred.

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating on my feelings a tad, but I really don't like her because of those movies... it's like Alice (who has nothing to do with the games the movies are supposedly based on) has to be this goddess of perfection, and her contract clearly states that no character but hers is allowed to have any cool scenes.

When they make a Resident Evil movie that's actually based on the video games (starring Leon, Chris, Jill or Claire) I may eagerly flock the the theater to see it. Until then, I'll pass.
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby DrunkenPrayer on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:51 am

FirstAidKit wrote:The Zombie Survival guide is a wonderful read, and provides you with an endless amount of thought experiments.

I spent days writing down unusual news reports with a view to makinf a fictional blog predicting the upcoming zombie apocalypse, never got round to it though.
I think living close to the Scottish highlands may work quite well to my advantage now that I think about it. There are plenty of pretty inaccessable places with cabins for holiday makers that could be easily fortified, plus with the temperature in winter it would be easy enough to do a zombie culling once a year and due to the isolated nature of the places the plague would take a while to reach there and there would probably be relatively few Zacks.

I need to go reread TZSG and World War Z.
DrunkenPrayer
Regular Poster

Postby Susan Calvin on Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:55 am

I guess we'll follow the Civil Defence guidelines. And hide down in the old cold war vaults with canned food from 1973.
Susan Calvin
Regular Poster

Postby SoItBegins on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:40 pm

Of course, it doesn't really matter anyway.
--Return of the Phantom

Mortal and proud of it!!

SoItBegins
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:47 pm

That thing is getting stupid.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Weregeek