seeking advice from experienced gamers

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

Postby Susan Calvin on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:49 am

Punstarr wrote:
Susan Calvin wrote:Second, ghouls are under-used. ^^

QFT

Hm? ^^
Susan Calvin
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:26 am

We've had a couple of people using ghouls in my game, but they don't usually have the ghouls do much other than drive the care or go shopping for gear.

I personally LOVE playing ghouls and almost all my LARP characters were ghouls. That has made the ghouls that people allow me to make for them incredibly useful and interesting characters if anyone should ever use them to their full potential. We actually have two ghouls in my game that are older than their regnant (one is a hand-me-down dog from her sire and the other was ghouled at the same time as the character but not embraced). We did have one character who used his ghouls to their full potential but when the character died the remaining two ghouls were embraced and made into NPCs. The only other guy who spent a lot of time using his ghouls was running a cult and they simply helped with recruitment and indoctrination. Heck, even the last player character ghoul wasn't used to his full potential (some of that can be blamed on the player though).

Anyway, yeah, my players need to use their backgrounds for more than rumor mongering.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Punstarr on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Minions that can strike your enemies during the day are incredibly useful.

Not to mention, how is a vampire going to do business with banks and such at night, unless he deals exclusively with foreign banks on the other side of the world?
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Postby Susan Calvin on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:19 pm

I know. Playing an expert hacker with an owner unable to dial a cellphone himself, and being used to guard a can of soda because the Elders are paranoid, isn't effective management. ^^ Playing an ancient Giovanni account with actual tasks and self-conciousness was interesting, though.

Or just strangeness. We planned on playing a group of self-ghouled Finnish gangsters hiring themselves out to the Princess of the city for a Requiem LARP. Why be subtle when all problems can be solved with the proper amount of explosives, and a gang of mad Finns with AK-47s? Never got to try it out, though.
Susan Calvin
Regular Poster

Postby Thunderhowl on Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:51 am

I got to play a ghoul in a Dark Ages game for a friend during a visit on my vacation. It was fun following her around doing all the little servile things she needed. By the end of the night she was not looking when she sat or set down her bag, because I was just there with a chair or caught her bag as it left her hand. She had several threats of poaching and offers to "buy" me.

By the end of the night, I was being taken for granted so much that while I was guarding the door to the Council Meeting, the Seneschal yanked open the door, barked at me to fetch someone, and then slammed the door in my face before I could remind him that since I didn't actually live here or regularly play here, I didn't know who he was talking about. :D The ST was quickly dispatched for me. It was pretty funny, and worth a free apology drink at the coffee afterwords from the ashamed Seneschal.
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster

Postby Punstarr on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:49 am

Susan Calvin wrote:
Punstarr wrote:
Susan Calvin wrote:Second, ghouls are under-used. ^^

QFT

Hm? ^^

Sorry. QFT means "Quoted For Truth"... ie, I agree. :)
Punstarr
Regular Poster

Re: seeking advice from experienced gamers

Postby Occupant on Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:24 pm

khayankh wrote:I'm in a D&D group now that's kind of frustrating me. I started playing last winter, when it was me and Amy, Bob, Charlie, Dan, and Ed. (Not real names, evidently.) Amy and Bob are a couple, and they really enjoy roleplaying. Charlie was the DM, Dan's a young genius, and Ed's sort-of friends with Charlie although they never got along that well. This worked for awhile, but in August Amy and Bob went off to college four hours away.

Charlie decided to stop DM-ing because it wouldn't be the same without them. I tried to write a campaign but gave up partway through because it was too complicated and I'd never really given much thought to the game mechanics. Ed tried to run a campaign that fell apart within a few sessions because a) Charlie's character was an infuriating person, b) Ed got fed up and set up Charlie's character to get killed, and c) the campaign was so combat-heavy that I got really bored. Dan's younger brother, Fred, who is also a genius, participated in that short-lived game.

Dan then started his own campaign, which continues to this day. Charlie's character for this game was nearly as annoying as his earlier character, and Charlie eventually quit. So last night I played with Dan, Fred, and Ed, and realized that I was half-asleep the entire time because it was all dice-rolling and stuff-killing.

Given that a) this is highschool and there aren't other gamers around, b) I am working with a group of boys under the age of sixteen, c) D&D is very combat-focused anyhow, and d) I'm not likely to be able to write a really good campaign anyway - would it be a waste of my time to try to write a character-driven campaign and get the guys to do something more interesting? Even though nobody knows any other game systems, would one of them be more suited to this? Or am I completely wasting my time - should I just put up with the boringness until I get to college where there's LARP and fun stuff like that?

If you are going to continue, in this DnD campaign. Start slow and don't surprise your DM.

All these suggests should occur at the end of the adventure to let your DM know what you want for the next adventure. When I'm bored I attempt to talk to the party to do something crazy fun. Sometimes it works sometimes not. You probably want to do this every other adventure... Y'gotta break them in slow...

1: Ask the DM to prepare for next adventure, that you are looking into why this dungeon was made, who owns it and the like... You know like it's a mine or it was built to protect a caravan route... etc... you need to offer suggestions to get his mind ticking for item 2...
2: Decide to keep the a dungeon and make it your base if you can turn a profit. There was a reason why it was built so...
3: Propose a weird vacation to the group. We are going to a fair (magic fair, or druid fair, or bard fair with the obligatory bard sing off, or a joust...).
4: Hey, let's go ask the king if he needs a mysterious island that he needs explored for a colony. Then go help to start the colony. Like found a port.
5: Why don't we make a bar? (Ahem)
6: Hey, what's the highest mountain in the world? Let's go climb it.
7: Let's go off plane and party in Sigil... (ahem)

So you are looking for an RPG game...
http://www.fudgerpg.com/fudge.html

Hey, and it's free!

And run a League of Extraordinary Heroes 2007
Stat them up with fudge.

New rules:
Stunt dice. If you do something cool you get a bonus die to roll or a bonus die for a cool plan.
Grab Guts: This heals one dice.
Shake it off: Once per combat you can shake it off one dice of damage.
You heal one dice in between scenes.
Anger: If your enemy angers you, you heal a dice. This is called rage dice.

And the scenario's write itself. Bring back Imhotep (the mummy), or T-2000 or visit Nakatomi Plasa for Xmas, or green goblin or gold finger or... Cool locations, great villains and pre-written dialog etc...
Occupant

Postby Lei on Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:03 pm

You'll always be surprised how many people game who don't admit it. My cousin's fiancé, who's the bravado-filled army kinda guy, I discovered at a family get-together, is a huge gamer, and since then I've played a number of campaigns with him and his buddies, as well as going LARPing (which you don't have to be in college to do). This was really fun as I had been in a campaign largely dominated by couples before– *shudder* – the only pair still together being my boyfriend (the DM) and myself. Needless to say, that particular campaign had died in the throes of awkwardness when all the players stopped speaking to one another.

Also – I don't know your settings, but if there's a comic or gaming shop anywhere near your town, check it out and ask if there are any open games. I live in the middle of nowhere, but there's a store the next town over that has a gaming room in back where campaigns are often hosted. Ask around enough (sometimes you gotta get out of your comfort zone), and you can usually find circle of interested folks. I met a lot of great folks who got me into D&D through a gaming club at my school.
Lei
Regular Poster

Postby Susan Calvin on Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:38 pm

I know that. My cousins seems to be getting geekier for ever time I meet them. ^^ The attachment to certain groups always seems a little awkward to me. I love bringing in, or jumping over to, other people.

Otherwise, conventions are always nice. We tried random group assignations for a local (and very small) RPG con, and it was quite appreciated. The only negative was the extra work put into it.
Susan Calvin
Regular Poster

Postby Pookajoe on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:36 am

Problem players always seem to pop up.
But be warned, Unless your gaming group is really tight, Killing off another PC can cause a lot of Friction between people.

I had a situation where my PC ended up killing another one. And several members of the group wouldn't speak to me for a while. (The player who's PC I killed didn't really care.)
Then again the manner in which the death Occurred might have also had something to do with it.
Regardless, One person in that group Doesn't game anymore, and I'm no longer allowed to play Evil aligned Characters with that group.
Home Is, Run No More.
Pookajoe
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:56 am

Welcome to the forum.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Previous

Return to Weregeek