Pretend to be a Time Traveler Day

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

Pretend to be a Time Traveler Day, yes or no?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes : 17

Postby The Bellmaker on Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:54 am

Dresden Codak wrote:Guys, it's time for

You must spend the entire day in costume and character. The only rule is that you cannot actually tell anyone that you are a time traveler. Other than that, anything's game.

There are three possible options:

1) Utopian/cliché Future - "If the Future did a documentary of the last fifty years, this is how badly the reenactors would dress." Think Star Trek: TNG or the Time Travelers from Hob. Ever see how the society in Futurama sees the 20th century? Run with it. Your job is to dress with moderately anachronistic clothing and speak in slang from varying decades. Here are some good starters:

- Greet people by referring to things that don't yet exist or haven't existed for a long time. Example: "Have you penetrated the atmosphere lately?" "What spectrum will today's broadcast be in?" and "Your king must be a kindly soul!"

- Show extreme ignorance in operating regular technology. Pay phones should be a complete mystery (try placing the receiver in odd places). Chuckle knowingly at cell phones.

2) Dystopian Future - This one offers a little more flexibility. It can be any kind of future from Terminator to Freejack. The important thing to remember is dress like a crazy person with armor. Black spray painted football pads, high tech visors, torn up trenchcoats and maybe even some dirt here or there. Remember, dystopian future travelers are very startled that they've gone back in time. Some starters:

- If you go the "prisoner who's escaped the future" try shaving your head and putting a barcode on the back of your neck. Then stagger around and stare at the sky, as if you've never seen it before.

- Walk up to random people and say "WHAT YEAR IS THIS?" and when they tell you, get quiet and then say "Then there's still time!" and run off.

- Stand in front of a statue (any statue, really), fall to your knees, and yell "NOOOOOOOOO"

- Stare at newspaper headlines and look astonished.

- Take some trinket with you (it can be anything really), hand it to some stranger, along with a phone number and say "In thirty years dial this number. You'll know what to do after that." Then slip away.

2) The Past - This one is more for beginners. Basically dress in period clothing (preferably Victorian era) and stagger around amazed at everything. Since the culture's set in place already, you have more of a template to work off of. Some pointers:

- Airplanes are terrifying. Also, carry on conversations with televisions for a while.

- Discover and become obsessed with one trivial aspect of technology, like automatic grocery doors. Stay there for hours playing with it.

- Be generally terrified of people who are dressed immodestly compared to your era. Tattoos and shorts on women are especially scary.

And that's it. Remember, the only real rule is staying in character and try to fit in. Never directly admit you're a time traveler, and make really, really bad attempts at keeping a low profile. Naturally, the dystopian future has a little more leeway. And for the record, I've already tried out all of these in real life, in costume. It is so much fun you want to pee yourself.

I've set the tentative date for December 8th. Who's in?

Please note, this is neither my post nor my idea. I just decided to share the idea. Personally, I think this is great. All for it?
Love not who you are, but what you may become. ~ Miguel de Cervantes
The Bellmaker
Regular Poster

Postby CooperNRG on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:46 pm

I'd be all over this, but December 8th is a Monday this year, and, as a teacher, I'm pretty sure I'd get fired for doing any of that, lol.
Guns don't kill people, Magic Missles do.
CooperNRG
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:48 pm

This looks really fun! I don't know if I'd be able to do it on my own but if I had other people with me then I'm sure I could do it.

I'd want to get some pictures of course.

I must spread the word, december 8th is a great day for Time Travel!

If this gets popular enough, we should come from December 8th 2006 in a couple years. :wink:
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thanatos5150 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:53 pm

Unfortunately, this isn't so doable on base.
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:58 pm

I'm shy. And an introvert.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dustman on Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:44 pm

A good variation on this might be to walk up to someone on the street--you have to know their name beforehand, otherwise this doesn't work; unfamiliar classmate might be a good target--and ask:
"Excuse me, are you {Name}?"
When they answer yes, you smile coldly and say "Good." Then you pull out a convincing-looking ray gun. Right before you 'fire' it, have a buddy of yours tackle you and say "Run! I'll hold them off!"

It might be a good idea to toss them some sort of parcel in the middle of the 'struggle,' with some sort of foreboding note from the future or other mysterious object. Tell them to hold on to it, or something.

Note: I probably won't do this either. It'd be fun, but I share Narf's and Thanatos's problems. My calendar, however, puts the 8th on a Sunday.
"I'm a weatherman, I don't believe in fate."
--Randall Stevens

My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.

Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
Dustman
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Besides which, it seems a rather nasty thing to do to someone, if they take it seriously.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dustman on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:00 pm

*Shrug* Yeah, you're right. I wouldn't really do it, I was just throwing stuff out there. Staging the scene between yourself and your friend on the street and throwing the parcel to a complete stranger, however, might do the trick. Especially if you know their name and can therefore address a portentous letter to them.
"I'm a weatherman, I don't believe in fate."
--Randall Stevens

My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.

Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
Dustman
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:02 pm

I'd put 'Sucker!' on the back of the letter. Just to make sure.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby The Bellmaker on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:38 pm

I do not know, it would be quite interesting to see just how seriously you can get them to take it...

And honestly, I can not do it either, being way up on a mountain miles from any real civilization. Only some other houses up here, and that does not quite work...But if someone lives in a city, or similar area, I will bet that there will be excellent opportunities for it. Imagine this in New York...And the date falls right after the New York Anime Festival, too...
Love not who you are, but what you may become. ~ Miguel de Cervantes
The Bellmaker
Regular Poster

Postby Lion el'Jonson on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:20 am

As I am, in fact, from the dystopian future that you describe, and I can assure you that the situations you describe are no laughing matter.

This is no joke.
Lion el'Jonson

Postby One post wonder on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:23 am

This is the most awesome of awesome awesomeness to ever be awesomnistic. Simply put, Awesome! Though rather than saying, "Then there is still time!", I would probably say, "Then it is too late. the plague is already spreading..."

Also... You read Dresden Codak too!? It is my favorite comic! Er, outside of Weregeek, that is =)
Last edited by One post wonder on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
My name made sense when I first thought it up.

I apologize in advance for the inevitable awkwardness.
One post wonder
Regular Poster

Postby DrunkenPrayer on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:23 am

Dustman wrote:It might be a good idea to toss them some sort of parcel in the middle of the 'struggle,' with some sort of foreboding note from the future or other mysterious object. Tell them to hold on to it, or something.

"Hello bomb squad? There are two crazy people wrestling on the quad with a strange package."

I'd do this if I could convince other people, actually a lot of my mates would probably be scarily up for it.
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." - Charlie Brown
DrunkenPrayer
Regular Poster

Postby Thanatos5150 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:06 am

I just relised, the Navy is set to change uniforms, soon. I could so be this off in an awsomely subtle way if I just had the new uniforms.

Only, I don't.
Phooey.
~Socrates~
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster

Postby FirstAidKit on Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:38 am

I'm stuck on an island far from home with little else to entertain me and a bunch of gullible and easily confused students around... this is going to be fun!

I think I can get a few people to do this, and possibly more if I can drum up enough publicity in the right circles. Hell, there's even a prof or two that would join up with us. December 8th is also right at the beginning of exams, so I'm going to need something to distract me. I'll have to start growing a proper dystopian beard sometime in mid November...
"Nothing is ever easy."

"...You can't take the sky from me."
FirstAidKit
Regular Poster

Postby Thanatos5150 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:45 am

FirstAidKit wrote:I'm stuck on an island far from home with little else to entertain me and a bunch of gullible and easily confused students around... this is going to be fun!

You're a med student. On an island. Far away from home.

Sound like a B-horror plot to anyone else but me?
~Socrates~
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:38 am

...And then THEY come...
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Khayankh on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:13 am

I wish I could do this...I have a debate tournament the 8th, and I'm a team captain. I have a prior commitment to act rational and from this time period. If it were another day, I'd be up for it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. -unknown
You broke the universe - my DM this one time
Khayankh
Regular Poster

Postby Kitsune shojo on Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:40 pm

...I'm not brave enough to do it, but damn that sounds like fun! Then again, it would likely get back to my mother and she'd freak out or something, so it probably wouldn't be worth it anyway...
Kitsune shojo

Postby TigerDawn on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:55 pm

I love the idea. I almost think it would be as funny as to make like you were from the past and have no understanding of the current day. Like say, for a loose example, that you were from the 1920's you would have NO idea about computes, credit cards..... Mew, I think I'll do it, I have nothing planned and messing with my friends is one of my favorite things to do. >^.^<
TigerDawn
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Weregeek