Desolation Land, OOC

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

Desolation Land, OOC

Postby Narf the Mouse on Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:26 am

Supposing someday you wake up - But you aren't in your bed. Underneath you is cold, hard rock and sand. Around you, to the horizon, is a desolate land with only hints of green. In the distance, something screeches triumph as something else screams and dies.

Where are you? What has happened? And, Can You Get Out?

The Rules: The Window

Genre: Horror, Action, Adventure. There will be resources you can find and even occasional sentient settlements, but take nothing you have or find for granted. Get careless and you will get eaten.

Players Wanted: Three

Characters Wanted: Any background; No Superheroes. Marines are ok. Ph.D.'s are ok. Sir Knightly Killalot is ok. Mr. A Few Mystical Powers is ok. Two-Gun Sammy, Rogue Spacepilot is ok. Pistols of Infinite Ammunition are not, nor is his Spaceplane. Basically, anybody who loosely fits the definition of Ordinary Joe on an ordinary day. Any character who reacts with 'Oh, this is just like the time I got lost on...' Is not ok. Playing yourself is ok.

Now that the long, boring part is over - If you want to find something, bring it up with me. Give me goals for your characters to work towards. Oh, and don't ask for extra water canteens. You should have packed enough. It's not my fault your character is dying.
Last edited by Narf the Mouse on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby One post wonder on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:06 am

Wow, a game that takes place in a desert wasteland... Too bad you only want 3 players and there is no way I can some up with one before the other members do. I have spent most of my life in deserts =)... Oh well. I may be slow, but I am getting into role playing. Kind of...
My name made sense when I first thought it up.

I apologize in advance for the inevitable awkwardness.
One post wonder
Regular Poster

Postby FirstAidKit on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:51 am

Ooooo... this sounds like fun! I'm going to read into it a little more, and, if I don't come up with a character I may just play with this system elsewhere (maybe in reality). ;-) Either way, I like it! Where'd you find this, anyway?
"Nothing is ever easy."

"...You can't take the sky from me."
FirstAidKit
Regular Poster

Postby Thanatos5150 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:17 am

Sounds interesting enough. I'll just draw somebody up in my head- thinking about a bruiser and/or survivalist instead of my normal sneaky bastard.
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster

Postby Dustman on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:19 am

I like this system; reminds me of Fate in a way, though it's even more rules-lite. I think I'd like to join up and play as myself; I've never done that before.
"I'm a weatherman, I don't believe in fate."
--Randall Stevens

My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.

Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
Dustman
Regular Poster

Postby The Bellmaker on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:32 am

Awesome! I think that i will give it a shot, if i can get a character in before the slots are filled...
Love not who you are, but what you may become. ~ Miguel de Cervantes
The Bellmaker
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:50 pm

The three characters will be the first character sheets in. Any expansion of the game that *May* occur will go to other players in order of character sheet reception. And, don't just give up because you're a newbie. :)

The Window? I was playing a game of Mage using it - That's my first gaming experience with it. I ran into it before browsing the net.

Note on playing a Tank/Scrapper: Be prepared to sneak and rabbit, too. Trying to hack'n'slash this will end up with you as somethings kibbles and bits and bits and bits.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Narf the Mouse on Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:23 pm

Characters in: Bellmaker and Thanatos 5150.

It should probably be noted that, although I am allowing real-world characters in and thus real-world character religions, all supernatural in the game will be non-denominational, to avoid complications.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Narf the Mouse on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:45 pm

Dustman is in. The game will now begin; due to the nature of The Window, a character description is enough to start with. If we run into a dice roll situation before all the stats are in, we can always pause.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Spyder_V on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:49 pm

Gah! Always too late!!
Spyder_V

Postby Dustman on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:58 pm

Question before we begin: first person or third person narrative?

Edit: Also, I assume I'm the one in fatigues?
--Randall Stevens

Dustman
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:01 pm

Whichever you feel most comfortable with. Yep, you're the one in fatigues.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby FirstAidKit on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:04 pm

/popcorn

I can't wait to see how this one is going to turn out!
"Nothing is ever easy."

"...You can't take the sky from me."
FirstAidKit
Regular Poster

Postby Dustman on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:15 pm

Okay. That being said, I guess a couple of my original possessions don't make sense: the umbrella and the fedora, specifically. And the only time I would find myself sleeping in fatigues would be in Iraq or in a training situation, both of which would place me with my rifle and a small amount of ammunition. So I'm assuming I have both; fair?
--Randall Stevens

Dustman
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:27 pm

What I know about military dress comes from Stargate, Discovery channel and various movies.

So I don't actually know what you'd be wearing in your normal duties. Wikipedia thinks its something called 'camouflage utilities'. A gun (Up to SMG) with clip is fine, though.

Basically, anything that constitutes 'Normal day wear' for you (Ie., not combat conditions) is fine, so long as you don't drag along grenades in ordinary situations or some such.

There's plenty I don't know, so if you know something I don't, feel free to point it out with link, so I can research.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dustman on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:36 pm

By non-combat, do you mean not on a combat patrol, or not in Iraq at all? Most days while I was over there I was on a base-camp doing mechanic work; we carried our rifles with us, but not our flak-vests or anything, and we didn't have to worry about combat outside of intermittent mortar attacks. If that counts as day-to-day then I'm good; if not, I'll need to re-do my first post.
--Randall Stevens

Dustman
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:44 pm

Huh. I can't figure out how to explain it better, but basically, that counts as an ordinary day; in combat doesn't.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dustman on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:48 pm

Okay, then. First post stays as-is.
--Randall Stevens

Dustman
Regular Poster

Postby Thanatos5150 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:27 am

Hey,, something that wasn't adressed and my Weathery Mind is, of course, hung up on, especially after the E4 exam today:
What does the approximate temperature and (relative) humidity, feel like?
Even the apparent temperature is fine, but, I'm just wondering about the general weather of the moment.

And by "clear sky", do you mean 0/8s of the sky covered, or no more than 2/8s of, say, cumulus (little, fluffy, white) clouds?
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:40 am

Hot and dry. Desert conditions. No clouds are apparent.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Weregeek