Dungeon Crawl IC thread

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

Postby Lunaroki on Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:53 pm

Simon crouches low, ready to spring forward to attack or sideways to evade depending on what comes through when they open the door.

"That doesn't sound like rats anymore..."
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
User avatar
Lunaroki
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am
Location: north-central PA

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:59 am

Korgan listens carefully to try and identify where and what the sound is coming from.

Int Check (1d20+1=17) (fail)
Listen Check to discern direction (1d20+3=10)(lame, probably fail)

Korgan glances back and notices how armed and ready everyone is, with a grin he reaches for the door handle with his left and whispers over his shoulder "One....two...." and having given everyone a chance to argue or prepare....
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
User avatar
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR, USA

Postby FirstAidKit on Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:48 am

Listening to the squeaking sound beyond the door, the bard's imagination begins to run wild. Visions of a war machine, designed by imprisoned mouse slaves of the Mad Rat Empire, creaking slowly and inexhoribly, the broken and bloody bodies of adventuring victims festooning its blackened bow. The spinning blades of death whir ever closer to the door in preparation for the carnage to come, the obliteration of the entire group of hapless adventurers lying foolishly in wait.

Hands shaking, Aeron tries to tell himself that it's all in his head. It's all in his head...

But is it?
Last edited by FirstAidKit on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing is ever easy."

"...You can't take the sky from me."
User avatar
FirstAidKit
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:44 am
Location: The Floating Continent

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:08 am

"Three!" Korgan pulls on the door and hops to the right to give the others a clear range of fire, then swings his mace at the floor to crush the first rat he sees.

1d20+3=4
(damn, that's a crappy attack roll, Korgan probably looks like captain caveman bashing the floor like that)
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
User avatar
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR, USA

Postby Thanatos5150 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:44 pm

As soon as the door flies open, Jakob quickly takes stock of the nasties on the other end, and he sights the biggest, baddest, more terrible nasty in the group (even if its just a really really big rat), draws a bead on a vital organ and smoothly pulls the trigger.

(Assuming no effect from Filth fever) Quarrel to the skull! (1d20+4=24)

OOO! A nat 20!

I think I can Crit - I think I can crit... (1d20+4=22)

For Damage -
Stick it to 'im, Bolt! (1d8=2)
Sneaky McSneak Attack Damage (1d6=1)
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
User avatar
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
Location: Honshu, Japan

Postby Narf the Mouse on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 pm

The door swings open with a loud creak. On the other side, you see...

...Made of random scavanged materials...

...A small platform, supporting adjustable legs, which are holding up a screwdriver with a rotating handle, which was apparently being used to unscrew one of the bolts holding the hinges to the door.

Four rats are hunched on each others' shoulders, the top one with its paws on the handle of the screwdriver.

A lot of angry, hungry rats eye the open door with an 'Oh, goody!' look...

...Then Jakobs' bolt takes one between the eyes.

Roll Init. Jakob, you've got your action for this turn, but you still should roll Init for this turn.

I hope no-one minds; he got that first shot because the scene looked neat in my head.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Postby Thanatos5150 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:41 am

Jakob grins as a rat is imapled on his quarrel, and blanhes a bit at the machine -
"Thats - interesting" He comments to himself, as he readies his crossbow.
"I wonder if I can take it apart."
"How about some music, guys?"

And seconds earlier, he was scared, now hes in mechanic-land! (Init) (1d20+4=11)
^You know, I gave up a nat 18 because i did'nt write down the +4 or a "comment" yet and mis-typed the enter key.
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
User avatar
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
Location: Honshu, Japan

Postby FirstAidKit on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:12 am

:o

Initiative (1d20+3=7)

Stunned by the column of rats at work at the door, Aeron fumbles around with his bow and takes a moment to get his first shot off. Though he still looks a little shaken, he seems to be doing much better, seeing as there's not a Rat Empire Death Machine on the other side of the door. He's mumbling something as he aims and lets fly the arrow, and every so often you can catch a few words.

"Bloody... Nimh..."

Shortbow attack on the rat swarm. (1d20+4=15)

Damage? to the rat swarm. (1d6=2)
"Nothing is ever easy."

"...You can't take the sky from me."
User avatar
FirstAidKit
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:44 am
Location: The Floating Continent

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:40 am

Initiative (1d20+1=2)
(CRAP)

Korgan leaps back from his attack at nothing and stands blinking, dumbfounded by the pyramid of Rats assembled beyond the threshhold.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
User avatar
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR, USA

Postby Lunaroki on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:42 pm

Taking the Initiative (roll) (1d20+2=11)

Simon stares at the mechanically inclined rat pyramid for a moment in blind stupefaction.

"You have got to be kidding me."

Then an angry scowl forms on his face.

"So, not only don't you take warning, but now you're even stealing my ideas? HAVE AT YE THEN VARLOTS!"

Simon leaps into action, slashing out with both knives as he charges headlong at the leading edge of the rat hoard.

Dual-Weilding Daggers of Death Against the Ratly Hoarde (Attack Rolls) (1d20=9, 1d20=19)

OOC: o.O What the? Except that the second roll is only 19 rather than 20, that's the same rolls as my last Attack! Weird! Well, 19 is a Threat with Daggers so here goes another Critical Threat roll.

Second Attack Roll for Threat on Off Hand Strike (Again!) (1d20=11)

Damage Rolls for On Hand, Off Hand and Potential Crit Strikes (1d3=1, 1d3=3, 1d3=1)
Last edited by Lunaroki on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
User avatar
Lunaroki
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am
Location: north-central PA

Postby Thunderhowl on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:08 pm

Initiative Vs. the Nimh Rats (1d20+5=21)

Rowan's jaw drops as he witnesses the rat's inventiveness. As Jakob's bolt snaps past him, Rowan seems to snap out of his trance as his rapier blade hisses out towards the rats. Rowan seems to be operating on muscle reflex judging from the vacant look on his face.

Attack roll vs the rat swarm, damage roll if the blow lands. (1d20+4=7, 1d6+2=4)

"buh...rats...tinker rats...rat burglars?"
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Image
User avatar
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:33 am
Location: in the Hospitality Mines

Postby Narf the Mouse on Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:43 pm

Ok, I need to roll to see who goes first...Rolling, rolling... (1d20+2=9, 1d20+4=9)...
...And again...Rolling again... (1d20+4=14, 1d20+2=14)...

...Ok, forget that. You guys go AT THE EXACT SAME TIME!

Rowan: Init 21, Simon: Init 11, Jakob: Init 11, Aeron: Init 7, Korgan: Init 2

Rowan stabs the air! The air is uninjured!

Simon shish-kabobs some rats! Mmm, just ready for roasting!

Jakob talks a bit.

Korgan stares in dumbfoundedness. Nah, too easy.

Aerons' arrow goes straight through a few rats, bounces off the floor and takes out the lowest rat in the rat-ladder, leaving the top rat hanging on to the machine and the middle rat hanging on to his ankles...Slowly, the machine begins to tilt...
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Postby Thanatos5150 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:28 pm

Jakob snatches up the lighter which should be at his feet and the bundle of fire-arrows which should also be nearby, and then sets flame to rag.

Any additional action will be spent throwing fire-arrowy doom into the middle of the densest concentration of rats.
Throw burning doom in the middle of the swarm (Ranged touch attack vs. floor) (1d20+4=19)
Last edited by Thanatos5150 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
User avatar
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
Location: Honshu, Japan

Postby Thunderhowl on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:14 am

Rowan snaps out of his shocked stupor, grits his teeth and aims a little better in the 2nd round of combat, his rapier blade a hissing needle of rat puncturing death as he lashes out at the rats nearest the door.

"HAVE AT THEE!"

2nd round attack against the NIHM Rat swarm. (1d20+4=18, 1d6+2=3)
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Image
User avatar
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:33 am
Location: in the Hospitality Mines

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:02 am

Seeing too many rats to simply stomp beyond the threshold Korgan lays his shoulder against the door and shouts "Next time they swarm in I'll slam the door again!"

*Ready action to shut the door if the swarm crosses the threshhold.*
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
User avatar
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR, USA

Postby FirstAidKit on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:00 pm

"Take that, you rambunctious rodents!"

The bard lets fly another arrow at the rat swarm, looking to take the fight out of the rats. And the rats out of the fight. Simultaneously!

Ready... Aim... Fire! (1d20+4=23)

Damage? (1d6+1=2) Note: You can't win em all.
"Nothing is ever easy."

"...You can't take the sky from me."
User avatar
FirstAidKit
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:44 am
Location: The Floating Continent

Postby Lunaroki on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:47 pm

Enraged beyond reason, Simon rushes through the door to slash at the nearest surviving rats.

"DIE YOU FILTHY BLIGHTERS!"

Why do I even bother with the first Attack roll? (1d20=5, 1d20=3)

Hardly seems worth it to roll damage after those lousy rolls. (1d3=1, 1d3=2)

OOC: Do I need to roll anything else, considering Simon's ill-considered move?
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
User avatar
Lunaroki
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am
Location: north-central PA

Postby Narf the Mouse on Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:14 pm

Rowan: Init 21, Simon: Init 11, Jakob: Init 11, Aeron: Init 7, Korgan: Init 2

(Turns out, half-damage is rounded down. That will take effect next combat)

Rowans' rapier stabs a rat and bounces off the floor and bisects another rats' neck. 2 damage.

Simon charges fearlessly at the rat swarm, and misses completely. The rats are laughing at you. Also, check to stay upright. (DC 5 Dex check or fall down, DC 15 to run without falling, DC0 if you just take a five-foot step.)

Jakobs' arrow-swarm attack anihilates the rat swarm! Flamey Doom! (1d6=2)

Aeron exercises common sense and does not shoot a rat corpse...Unless he wants to.

Korgan does not slam the door, as there are no living rats on either side.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:25 am

Korgan eyes the smoldering and sizzling pile of dead rats, wondering if any more will come scurrying out of the walls soon. Just in case, Korgan steps quickly and hauls Simon out of the chamber by his collar and sets him back on his feet roughly, half pushing him out of the way and taking his spot inside the doorway.

While Rowan looks for valuables Korgan scowls at the various rat holes for enemies.
Spot and then Listen (1d20+3=13, 1d20+3=9)
Last edited by Tom the Fanboy on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
User avatar
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR, USA

Postby Thunderhowl on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:11 pm

Seeing that all the rats are dead at last, Rowan winces as he peers at the tip of his rapier, noting the burr in the blade's tip from the contact with the merciless stone of the floor. He then turns his gaze to examination of the contents on the room, quickly scanning it for other exits and scattered valuables.
Spot check in the Rat Room. (1d20+5=8)
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Image
User avatar
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:33 am
Location: in the Hospitality Mines

PreviousNext

 

Return to Weregeek



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron