Dungeon Crawl IC thread

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

Dungeon Crawl IC thread

Postby Narf the Mouse on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:18 pm

You stand on a gently-sloping ledge on the side of the ironically-named Mt. Little. Below you in the valley sits the trade town of Vidunsrun, a frequent rest stop for caravans and adventurers wanting to cross the Froth Mountains (So named for their resemblance to waves, as if some great force shook the land).
Near the town of Vidunsrun is the river Tamriel, which at this point isn't that large, due to coming down off the far mountain of the two on the other side of the valley. The trade route of Vidunsroad is, from this distance, a break in the trees, leading off in either direction down the sharp oval of the valley.

Before you on the slope lies a slanted and crumbling ediface; two largely-crumbled decorative pillars adorn a grayish-purple wall, in the center of which is an arched, pillared doorway. Although cracked and crumbling, the *runes on the pillars still glow with a silvery light.
The wall itself, save for the crumbling, is largely smooth, broken only by large, decorative 'bricks'.
The runes are large, sweeping and sharp and easily seen.

On either side and on the top of the slanted wall, grass is slowly eroding the wall.

* And according to the languages of the character sheets I have gotten in PMs, none of you can read them.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Postby Thanatos5150 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:28 pm

Nightbreeze stares calmly into the maw, and easily slips into a smooth, silent gaint (Move Silently, +10 modifier), and inspects the archway and connected wall, searching for anything that may prove dangerous to him, or any other mere being of flesh, bone, and blood (Search, +7 modifier, trapfinding).
He does this with neither a backward glance at his companions, nor a word flung in their direction.
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
User avatar
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
Location: Honshu, Japan

Postby Narf the Mouse on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:37 pm

The dice roll... (1d20=13, 1d20=3)
As far as you can tell, you are quite silent. And as far as you can tell, you don't find any traps.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Postby Mechalith on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:01 pm

Thoughtfully eyeing the glowing runes, Dareth knelt and cuts out a hunk of grass and sod from the ground. (not the wall, to be clear)

"Clearly magical, but I've no idea whether it's friendly or not. Can any of you read that mess?" He jabbed a finger toward the arch.
Sisyphus had it easy....
User avatar
Mechalith
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 9:00 am

Postby Narf the Mouse on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:03 pm

If you want to know if you can read it, PM me your character sheet and I'll check the languages.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Postby Thanatos5150 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:31 pm

Cringing at the elf who brazenly walked up and even spoke, Jakob rises from his half crouch and gives the runes a once-over.
"Magickal, clearly," he slides out easily in a gritty tenor, "I can neither read them, nor figure out the alphabit"
His eyes flick towards the opening again, and he rests his hand uneasily on the butt of his crossbow.
"That being as it is, I don't see anything trap-like."
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
User avatar
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
Location: Honshu, Japan

Postby Wxgirl on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:07 pm

Terra's usual small smirk grew on her face seeing the small scene in front of her taking a guess he wanted to hide. She starts to walk forward toward one of the pillars and stares at it for a second before lightly placing her right hand onto one of the glowing runes. Her left hand hovered near her Scimitar asit usually did at times like this. After removing her hand she stares at it for a bit trying to remeber the squiggley mark that was on it and shrugged a bit, all she knew was that it did not make any sense to her.
User avatar
Wxgirl
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: North Dakota ... sigh

Postby Narf the Mouse on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:11 pm

Terra neither drops dead, explodes or turns into stone.

In fact, other than the runes continueing to glow, nothing perceptable happens.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Postby Mechalith on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:21 pm

Taking a few steps backward, and pausing to allow his companions to do the same, Dareth sidearmed the hunk of living plant matter and dirt he was carrying through the arch, and watched for a reaction.
Sisyphus had it easy....
User avatar
Mechalith
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 9:00 am

Postby Narf the Mouse on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:23 pm

The clod dissapears into the shadows. You hear a faint thump.

Other than that...*Cricket*Cricket*

Edit: Since it wasn't addressed, you can see about a five-foot square of grayish-purple floor with the same decorative 'brick' tiling. If you've got low-light vision, you can see a ten-foot square of the same.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Postby Mechalith on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:46 pm

Fishing out his notebook, Dareth makes a carefull copy of the runes lining the archway for later study and deciphering.

Then, addressing the rest of the party he asked "Well, are we going to stand around staring at it, or are we going inside?"
Sisyphus had it easy....
User avatar
Mechalith
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 9:00 am

Postby Wxgirl on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:58 pm

Terra looked and watched the clump get thrown in and the thump afterwards. Her eyes looked at the area inside and answered with, "it looks interesting I would not mind going inside of it. It is a bit how shall I say this ..... boring here. Just kinda wish I knew what those runes said."
User avatar
Wxgirl
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: North Dakota ... sigh

Postby Thanatos5150 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:54 pm

"We all do," Jakob said with a small grin. After quickly noting the lack of light inside, he changes his mind about going in alone and scouting the area.
((OOC: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are talking about more or less zero illumination inside, with the tile directly ahead of us?))
"Oh, and I told you there were no traps," he told the mage, with a tone that mocked and had a hint of 'I told you so.'
Hey, who trapped their front door anyway?
Unless, of course, you lived in a literal bank vault.
"Any torch wielding volunteers to dive in headlong?" he finished, eyes definitivly resting on the party's sole female, who was not only wore the heavyist armor, but also looked to be the most solidly built.
((OOC: I'm also assuming we all have at least acquired each other's names and classes/roles? <as wordly charecters precive them, not as we as players do>))
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
User avatar
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
Location: Honshu, Japan

Postby Narf the Mouse on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:06 pm

I presume you all have met.

There's some illumination as described, but the sun is at noonish and the lighting inside isn't that great. Partly, it's that your eyes are adapted for bright light right now.

Mostly, it's GM fiat based on guesses as to light level. But no, there is no interior source of illumination.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Postby Lunaroki on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:43 pm

Simon stands well back, stroking his chin speculatively as he looks on. Whether he is studying the entryway and surround or the shapely backside of the human female fighter standing before it is anyone's guess.

"Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I wonders to myself who goes to all the trouble to build a dungeon and hide a treasure inside it and then just goes and leaves the front door wide open, unless he's sure that anyone who enters without the proper knowledge isn't coming back out again alive. Oh, there'll be traps alright. The only question is how far in will we be before we hit the first one? Anyone care to make a wager?"
Last edited by Lunaroki on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
User avatar
Lunaroki
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am
Location: north-central PA

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:57 pm

Korgan shakes his head at Simon's offer with a sigh.

"If you ladies are done poking around can we form up and get a move on?" Korgan groans from the back of the party. "Which of you boys is going to keep Terra from walking onto a trap? Or do you need me to go in first and move that hunk of dirt so you don't get yer lovely boots dirty? Nightbreeze, you said it wasn't trapped so just edge in a bit deeper and keep checking, an' Terra will be right behind you."

Korgan hefts his heavy mace and waits for his chance to take his place in the marching order and get to business in the dungeon.
Last edited by Tom the Fanboy on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
User avatar
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR, USA

Postby Wxgirl on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:19 pm

Terra's smirk turned into a small smile as she hummed for a few seconds taking her backpack off to grab a torch and her flint and steel then proceeded to place the backpack back on. "I have no problems going in the front or first unless someone else is in the mood to go in front of me. Although having someone move that nasty clump of dirt would be oh so nice," she stated being sarcastic with her last sentence. "As for the traps I give it to being inside and well in that dark area we can not see yet and I will NOT wager on that," she added knowing that if she was wrong there would have been at least be one in the party asking for something because they saw it as a bet or wager. Terra was ready to light the torch, but wanted to wait on the party first before doing so.
User avatar
Wxgirl
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: North Dakota ... sigh

Postby Invaluable Kiwi on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:50 pm

Ellimist sighs and leans on his staff, as his wolf sidles up to him.

"Well, we're not accomplishing much by staying around here. Let's move in as soon as we're all ready."


He stares into the room as far as he can.

"I see nothing obvious, but agree that it probably won't be long before we do hit some kind of trap. We should be cautious."
User avatar
Invaluable Kiwi
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 12:24 am

Postby Thanatos5150 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:20 pm

"Well, gee, guys, of course, with me being an idiot, I never considered the possibility of other traps." Jakob shot back to the rest of the group, brimming with blatent sarcasam.
"OF course, we'll have to step lightly, now, although carrying a torch will negate any chance at stealth -" He began planning aloud, and his right hand moved to grip his crossbow. "- Which I'm not in the least concerned about. And, since its just too time-consuming and makes a guy like me both tired and bored, we can't scour every inch of the dungeon with traps. Therefore, if it nicks at me and says "trap" or its a door, I'll check it. Until then, I'd rather not light my way and stumble into a trap that can't be disarmed, you know, like an AMBUSH!"
He spoke then last word very empathically, and as he did so, turned to look into the dungeon, dropped to a crouch, and proceeded to load and shoulder his crossbow.
"If you will, Terra, dear."
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
User avatar
Thanatos5150
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
Location: Honshu, Japan

Postby Thunderhowl on Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:56 am

Rowan grins as he lights a torch of his own. He slings his pack over his right shoulder and draws a dagger from a sheath at the small of his back.
Holding the torch overhead in his left hand, he walks up beside the arch and guestures everyone in ahead of him with a lighthearted grin and a swift little bow.

"After you, my Lords and Lady. I'll take rear guard if no one has any objection. Let us be light of heart shall we? Adventure and glory await us through this arch!"
Last edited by Thunderhowl on Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Image
User avatar
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:33 am
Location: in the Hospitality Mines

Next

 

Return to Weregeek



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron