Sketchbook Sundays!

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

Re: Sketchbook Sundays!

Postby Alina P on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:22 am

These are some early sketches of Caleo, our mouse shaman. While she was fun to draw, drawing her was pretty much just an excuse to draw Mouse, her totem. It took me a while to figure out how to draw Mouse - I wanted something stylized and mystical looking, but not so stylized or ghostly that it wasn't recognizable as a mouse. If I get a chance during one of our game sessions, I hope to draw more totems in this style. They're a lot of fun, and would make pretty cool tattoos.

Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:00 am

I love mouse! the little designs remind me of a Lunar Exalted's moonsilver tattoos!

We have an artist in our Exalted/Scion group (same players, different nights) who makes a page of sketches every game and I really wish that I could get her to scan them in. She has never doodled any of my characters but they're still awesome.

She did have a guest comic up over at the Keychain of creation though.
http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0065.html
(which has a link to her deviant art account that I will now ransack for game drawings).
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Narf the Mouse on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:58 pm

She looks like a mouse, too.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Alina P on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:48 pm

I really wish that I could get her to scan them in.

Wow, cool! I checked out her DA site, and she does seem to have some game pics in there. Let me know if she ever does scan in some of your game pics - they're always cool to check out!

She looks like a mouse, too.

Actually, it's kind of funny. For the longest time, I (and the rest of the gaming group) imagined her as looking like her player, since the description was pretty similar and her player had a habit of curling up in a chair, mouse-like, during games. Then, after listening to her player protest that Caleo "wasn't me, really!!", I decided to draw her based on her description, but make her -not- look like her player. This was the result, and ever afterwards, everyone took to imagining her like this drawing. I was surprised and pleased that it actually changed how people pictured her.
Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Heh. If I ever play a narcoleptic character with someone who's seen me when I've got nothing to do and have to stay somewhere, I'd have a hard time *Not* getting pictured as my character...

...For example, one time at a small family reunion, I spent most of my time one day at a house curled up on a couch, asleep.

...I didn't plan that!
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Alina P on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:15 pm

The caption at the bottom reads, "Trolls don't make good ninjas."

Actually, it'd be pretty easy to make a troll ninja character in Shadowrun - all you need is some excellent stealth skills and maybe a ruthenium-coated dermal sheath for the chameleon-like hiding bonuses to offset the penalty for being so big. But, yikes. + 4 to strength, + 3 reach with a dikoted katana, and the ability to attack from surprise? Twiiiiiiiiinky.

Willow, while definitely not a ninja, still manages to sneak far better than you'd expect something 9 feet tall to be able to, and would never hide somewhere so obvious.
Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:22 am

One of my more successfull characters in Adom was a troll wizard wielding a log. He actually got pretty good at spells, for a troll. Died at ninth level.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Alina P on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:21 pm

Hey guys!! This is a special Sketchbook offering - this is a panel from the bonus story in Weregeek : The Geek Within. I had a ton of fun drawing it! Joel as an alien still makes me giggle.

Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:42 am

Ha, cyclops Joel!
For a second I thought that he just had a funny nose and his head was turned to the side. I suppose it'll be more obvious when I see the finished copy in the book.

Looking forward to it!
Tom the Fanboy

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Alina P on Sun May 04, 2008 8:50 pm

More sketches of Willow. What can I say - I love drawing her. In the sketch at the top left, she seems to be giving our cold-hearted ninja a big ol' hug, and in the one below and to the right of that, Spoons the Rigger is sitting on her arm. At the very bottom, she appears to be out dancing at Dante's Inferno with her orc buddy, Oogna Sugartusks. (xaq has some awesome NPC's. Oogna is one of them. Another is Doc. Bones, the grumpy old Troll cyberdoc, who'll get that new piece in there, even if it means breaking a few things to get it in!) Willow's face is a little off in the big sketch at the right, but I love her moccasins. God, you'd need half a deer for each of them...

Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Wed May 07, 2008 12:54 pm

You do good sketches.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Alina P on Sun May 18, 2008 8:51 pm

You do good sketches.

Thanks!!
Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Alina P on Sun May 18, 2008 8:52 pm

It's kind of on the tail-end of the Shadowrun storyline, so I thought I'd sneak in one more cyberpunk-ish sketch. Here are some random costume designs!

Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Lunaroki on Mon May 19, 2008 6:58 am

Those are some really nifty costume designs! But what does it say there next to Mrs. Robocop? I can't quite read it.
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
Lunaroki
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Mon May 19, 2008 8:18 am

I think it says "Data Manipulation Gauntlets"
Tom the Fanboy

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Alina P on Sun May 25, 2008 9:07 pm

I think this page started off as sketches of the character's pets (you can see both Tasselhoff and Laondo in the middle there, plus Abbie's pet lizard) but quickly devolved into pictures of random cartoony animals. I'm especially fond of the donkey.
Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Sun May 25, 2008 10:21 pm

The rat/squirrel at the bottom looks kind of cyborg.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thunderhowl on Mon May 26, 2008 4:44 am

I thought it was a raccoon? :-?
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Thunderhowl
Regular Poster

Postby Lunaroki on Sat May 31, 2008 8:03 am

Looks like a racoon to me, except for the rat-like face. Ebil-lookin' anyway.

I rather like the mole/sloth/badger/whatchamacallit with the book in the center below the cats. It looks like it's trying so hard to read what's written in that book. ^-^
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
Lunaroki
Regular Poster

Postby Alina P on Sat May 31, 2008 12:15 pm

Yeah, it's a raccoon. I was thinking about how sneaky raccoons actually are for creatures that look like teddy bears, and I was wondering if it was possible to make something so cute look like a sneaky little bugger. I think I may have gone a tad too rattish on that one.
Alina P
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Weregeek