Poor Charlotte

A place for the tens of fans of the comic to meet up and discuss the strip.

Poor Charlotte

Postby Perk_daddy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:39 pm

RE: Today's strip

Man, I love Charlotte to death; sometimes I get bummed that she can't seem to win. But maybe that's why I love her so much; she's got that Charlie Brown quality.
ImageImage
Perk_daddy
Regular Poster

Re: Poor Charlotte

Postby Fourth Floor on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:36 am

Thanks, mate. That's exactly what I was going for. It's always difficult to make characters that people will actually like. If you try too hard to make them sympathetic they can end up bland or flawless or preachy but if you go too far the other way they can become grotesque bastards. Always gratifying to hear positive feedback, Perkdaddy. You are the wind beneath my wings.

Perfect example of someone mawkishly faux-sympathetic by dint of sort-of caring about other people (which is supposed to equate to a heart of gold) whilst at the same time being a loathsome asshole is Tank from My Best Friend's Girl. I'm a little bit surprised that was the first character to jump to mind as an example. Obviously the scars left by that terrible film run deeper than I thought. Can anyone think of any other examples of characters from films or TV going too far in both directions at once?
Fourth Floor
Regular Poster

Return to Life on the Fourth Floor