Comic Discussion - Week of 6-11-07

A place to discuss my comic, and for general talk.

Re: Webcomics - serious business.

Postby TheKOT on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:46 am

Solitaire wrote:
theKOT wrote:Do you really need to police the world of all those who have different tastes than you? I understand that he was criticizing the storytelling but what's it to you, anyway?

I'm not annoyed by the fact that his tastes differ from mine - I'm not even that into Deegan. And I do read Legendary, because it's free and it makes me feel better about the fact that I don't have a webcomic of my own.

But what annoys me about Legendary's vendetta against Deegan is the hypocrisy of it. You don't like DominicDeegan because it's out of character? Set aside the fact that the comic isn't a fanfic and is therefore never out of character, let's talk about your own characters. Can Carnahan ever act out of character, considering that he doesn't actually have one? Seriously what is he supposed to be? Stoic? Cynic? The cool one? The cute one? What? And on the subject of shallow characterisations, what was up with this? Oops, I have to show they're friends! Now where did I leave my hammer of subtlety?

And don't try and tell me I have no right to take it up with Legendary - this is an open forum, that's what it's here for. At least I'm not badmouthing his comic to an unrelated audience who haven't even read it yet...

I never implied you didn't have a right to take it up with him, but as to why you feel such an urgent need to discuss this, I'm at a loss.

If someone says the author makes out of character updates, they mean the characters behaviors are inconsistent with what they have done in the past.

Actually, there is quite often a character who combines the traits of stoicism, cynicism, and coolness. But I don't know why you want to typecast him anyway. None of those comics were out of character, anyway. They all fit together to form a picture of carnahan.

If you want to pick on glaring character inconsistencies, carnahan's probably the worst one. As a quiet and generally simple character(so far), he's unlikely to contradict himself very often.

Oh yeah, Elflad is terrible at subtlety. This webcomic seems to have taught him a lot about storytelling in general, and he's made a lot of mistakes during the course of it.

Still, he has the right to criticize. You can't say that stick-figure comics are easy ergo Elflad's lack of quality is relevant. Whether he is skilled at comic-writing or not does not affect his right to make fun of Dominic Deegan all he wants. I really don't think there is hypocrisy involved as he doesn't shy away from his own lack of quality.

I still don't see why you would want to take it up with him. What did you expect? For him to repent of his ways and ne'er again criticize? This is the interenet. Your chances of actually changing someone's mind about anything are very low. Did you just do it for the fun of debate?
Founding member and supreme emperor for life of the Ione fan club.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Postby Waf on Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:21 pm

Here's my being critical of Lego. CG rolled your comic back to June. Seriously, you've been doing this too long to still be on CG. Heck if you aren't opposed to being legendary.jackofallblades.com I could hook you up and have you running for free on a server that doesn't spend it's time knocking out your comics by the fortnight's worth. :ick:
Waf
Regular Poster

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:57 am

I'm going to ignore the flagrant trolling, if that's okay with everyone.

I have to ask, Leg. Did you add the citation of this comic to the Treachery of Images wiki page, or was it a fan? Either way, how long do you suppose before the whole article is deleted by Wikipedia's anti-webcomic agenda?
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster

Re: Webcomics - serious business.

Postby Tiako on Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:12 am

[quote="Legendary]Sometimes I just wake up in the morning and say, "My comic may suck, but at least I've never stolen a joke from Reader's Digest or drawn a panty shot of a dead woman."[/quote]
Exccellent burn, Legendary.

Cinematography: difficult.

Only good cinematography, and considering that your whole argument revolves around your belief that Legendary makes bad comics, and you have no reason to suppose he makes better video presentations, this kind of falls apart.

You don't like DominicDeegan because it's out of character?

Actually, I think he doesn't like DD because it isn't funny, and doesn't have to dramatic muscle to excuse that. In actual fact, the characterizations are absurdly shallow and the plots uniformly facile (In a bad way).

Really, I could spend a god page or two just railing on the characters. It wouldn't bug me very much except that the characters used to be interesting, but all their interesting characteristics have been gradually eroded away.
Tiako
Regular Poster

Postby Legendary on Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:38 pm

Nerd-o-rama wrote:I have to ask, Leg. Did you add the citation of this comic to the Treachery of Images wiki page, or was it a fan? Either way, how long do you suppose before the whole article is deleted by Wikipedia's anti-webcomic agenda?

It must have been a fan, because I didn't do it.

And if the line's still there by Monday evening, I will be very surprised.
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby Scientivore on Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:03 am

I laughed out loud, even though I couldn't tell at first that it was a bumper sticker on a car. :lol:
Avatar by NJ Huff of Emergency Exit
Scientivore
Regular Poster

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:42 pm

Legendary wrote:
Nerd-o-rama wrote:I have to ask, Leg. Did you add the citation of this comic to the Treachery of Images wiki page, or was it a fan? Either way, how long do you suppose before the whole article is deleted by Wikipedia's anti-webcomic agenda?

It must have been a fan, because I didn't do it.

And if the line's still there by Monday evening, I will be very surprised.

Still there. And it's not an edit war, either. It's been there the whole time, with one spelling correction and one removal of the "moderately popular" phrase describing your comic. Which was a legitimate off-topic muddying of the subject.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster

Postby Legendary on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:20 pm

I'm very surprised.
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Previous

Return to Legendary