Comic Discussion - Week of 4-02-07

A place to discuss my comic, and for general talk.

Comic Discussion - Week of 4-02-07

Postby Legendary on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:32 am

Well, that's about as close to being self-referential as I get.

Mundanity is totally non-canon.
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby God of Chaos on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:01 am

INTERNET EXPLORER CAN NOT DISPLAY THIS WEBPAGE.

Totally awesome.
Known as Teh_Jakester EVERYWHERE else.
Games I'm currently playing: Guitar Hero I + II, God of War II
God of Chaos
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:18 pm

Actually, it appears that all of Comic Genesis is explodinated.
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby TakatoGuil on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:50 pm

I died a little inside today. First the new Mon-Wed-Fri schedule, then the crash.

I don't know how much more I can take.
Known as "Legendary" in the OOTS Forums.

Now I will torment the other Legendary forever.
TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby Waf on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:09 pm

I'm impressed you held onto 5 a week as long as you did with college. That's a brutal. What the rest of you guys need to remember though, it is far better to get 3 a week rather than 5 than to have Rob burn out completely and get none.
Waf
Regular Poster

Postby TakatoGuil on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:41 pm

Feh, I'll live. I mean, the jump from NOT having a soul to having a negative amount of soul can't be that bad.... :wink:
Known as "Legendary" in the OOTS Forums.

Now I will torment the other Legendary forever.
TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby Waf on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Atta Boy (or girl I have no way of telling on the internets).
Waf
Regular Poster

WINDEX!?

Postby Lamoni on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:59 pm

TakatoGuil wrote:Feh, I'll live. I mean, the jump from NOT having a soul to having a negative amount of soul can't be that bad.... :wink:

It just means you'll have more time to work on the game. :wink:

Also, on today's comic's extra material--is that a bottle of Windex in the background?

--Lamoni
Lamoni
Regular Poster

Re: WINDEX!?

Postby Waf on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:02 pm

lamoni wrote:
TakatoGuil wrote:Feh, I'll live. I mean, the jump from NOT having a soul to having a negative amount of soul can't be that bad.... :wink:

It just means you'll have more time to work on the game. :wink:

Also, on today's comic's extra material--is that a bottle of Windex in the background?

--Lamoni

And paint all over the door. Least I hope that's paint, and not flavored blood.
Waf
Regular Poster

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:15 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Wait, you're in college? How the fuck did you do five comics a week for so long? You an English major or something? Never mind, man, get some sleep.

Anyway, comic was funny. Mundanity was better.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster

Postby TheKOT on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:51 pm

That is the palest face evah. Seriously elfy, get some sun.

BTW, do what you can update wise. Maybe a little extra time to cook will raise the hit-centage. it's dropped to 50ish the past couple of weeks.
Founding member and supreme emperor for life of the Ione fan club.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Postby Legendary on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:00 pm

Nerd-o-rama wrote:Wait, you're in college?

Yup.

How the fuck did you do five comics a week for so long?

Sleep deprivation helps. :(

You an English major or something?

Computer Science, but I'm mostly doing General Ed stuff at the moment.

Never mind, man, get some sleep.

I plan to.

Now, everybody: STOP TRYING TO DISSECT MY PERSONAL LIFE, PLZ! KTHX. :evil:
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby Rixaxun on Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:16 am

*bursts in*

Hey, guys, I found a scalpe-

*backs out slowly*
Rixaxun
Regular Poster

Postby Probablygod on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:03 am

Huh... Well I guess I won't be reading this comic anymore, then. Just wanted to say that cause... Hmm... Okay, just wanted to say this for no reason.
Probablygod
Regular Poster

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:16 am

...'kay.

And one more personal life note, then I'll shut up: get used to sleep deprivation, says the Junior CompSci major at 6:15 in the morning.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster

Postby Lamoni on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:40 pm

LMFAO @ Secret! Man... that was the cheesiest moment EVER, but be damned if it wasn't fuckin' hilarious!

--Lamoni
Lamoni
Regular Poster

Postby TheKOT on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:22 pm

Legendary wrote:
Now, everybody: STOP TRYING TO DISSECT MY PERSONAL LIFE, PLZ! KTHX. :evil:

How could you have been a member of the GiantITP forums for so long and not expect this? I guess I thought you would, yaknow, be prepared. I mean that guy's family is in the hospital and people start slamming him for missing an update.

Or was that sarcasm?

*actually reads thread*

Yeah it was. Huh.

Well anyway, ON TOPICNESS!

So Antonio gets the majority of the straight-man roles, but they are split pretty evenly throughout the party. Lionel seems to be the most eccentric, and Vania is there to tip her head and look perplexed. Carna[s]fan[/s]han is there to exude bad***ery, and the fact that he is so short really helps the comic when dialogue is ballooning.

My biggest beef with Legendary(the comic)? Not enough Ione. She needs to date goblin pianist. They're the original odd couple! Or maybe the cliche and very very unoriginal odd couple.

Edit: P.S. "Flashin on back" from #151? Very nice, very h*r
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Postby Legendary on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:31 pm

theKOT wrote:So Antonio gets the majority of the straight-man roles, but they are split pretty evenly throughout the party. Lionel seems to be the most eccentric, and Vania is there to tip her head and look perplexed. Carna[s]fan[/s]han is there to exude bad***ery, and the fact that he is so short really helps the comic when dialogue is ballooning.

Carnahan is actually technically the tallest character of the main four, it's just that Antonio's hat and Lionel's hair-spikes make them about as tall. And Vania is just crazy short.

And the thing about "straight-man" roles being split among the party is mostly because of something I learned about in my Psych class called the "fundamental attribution error." The basic point is that people are influenced a good deal more by situation than by over-riding personality, so I've tried to reflect a bit of that.

For example, Antonio's personality is dependent on his mood. He's short-tempered and irritable when he's in a bad mood, but sociable when he's in a good mood. I do give him a personality constant, though. His is that no matter what happens, he's always sure that he is Right.

Vania spent almost all of her life in the castle, so when she was in or near the castle, I wrote her as more decisive and more comfortable than when she was away from the castle, hence why she's turned into the "I don't get it, thereby setting up the gag" person at the moment.

Since Legendary is a fairly straightforward gag-with-a-little-side-order-of-plot comic, I don't know if it's better or worse as a result of the over-thinking, but writing the comic is a learning experience. (A kinder, gentler way of admitting I do something stupid quite regularly.)
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:35 am

That's a whole lot more thought than most humor comic writers put into their characters, Leg. 8-Bit Theater? Just four different idealizations. Specifically, idealizations of the author himself, pushed to different extremes. Dominic Deegan characters just say what needs to be said in a given panel. Least I Could Do is easy, since it doesn't even pretend not to be a Mary Sue comic. The author just writes what he wishes his life were like, and gets paid for the privilege. Even the almighty Order of the Stick has fairly shallow main characters. They have two or three overriding motivations and character traits, and always act based on those. I assume that's intentional, though, since that's about as complex as D&D characters get.

In short...I can complain all day about webcomics. Also, while psychology may be bullshit, at least you're applying some thought to characterization.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster

Postby TheKOT on Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:23 am

And yet 8bit is the funniest webcomic I know of. And it has 828 strips. Cliche's go a long way.

Additionally, Psychology sucks because they make you take it and it doesn't have anything to do with my major(Physics). Social sciences suck. I'm looking at you anthropology class I have to write a paper for.

But I guess what I meant was lionel tends to be the wacky one, and Antonio is usually the one who is exasperated by him. Thus straight-man. I didn't really mean anything about his sociability or lack thereof.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Legendary