Comic Discussion - Week of 3-19-07

A place to discuss my comic, and for general talk.

Re: Calling newspaper comics ''funnies'' is pretty ironic.

Postby Hazardswake on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:32 am

Germ wrote:
hazardswake wrote:Also, I tend not to look at webcomics, even humor-related ones, the same way the one would look at, say, newspaper funnies.

I tend not to look at newspaper funnies.


Well, me neither, these days.
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
User avatar
Hazardswake
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:28 am

Postby TheKOT on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:16 am

hazardswake wrote:Good point. And I agree, criticism is good, even perhaps vital, to the well-being of a webcomic.

Wow....
No back-argument? A concession? What happened to the old internet, where your response would accuse me of megalomaniacism and say that the comic is free so I can't criticize it?
Maybe my computer screen is broken. It seems your response was like... mature or logical or something.
Founding member and supreme emperor for life of the Ione fan club.
TheKOT
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:21 am

Postby Germ on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:06 pm

theKOT wrote:
hazardswake wrote:Good point. And I agree, criticism is good, even perhaps vital, to the well-being of a webcomic.

Wow....
No back-argument? A concession? What happened to the old internet, where your response would accuse me of megalomaniacism and say that the comic is free so I can't criticize it?

This comic still has a relatively small fan base. Those <STRIKE>morons</STRIKE> mature and logical people haven't shown up yet.
User avatar
Germ
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:32 am
Location: There

Postby Legendary on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:44 pm

theKOT wrote:Wow....
No back-argument? A concession? What happened to the old internet, where your response would accuse me of megalomaniacism and say that the comic is free so I can't criticize it?
Maybe my computer screen is broken. It seems your response was like... mature or logical or something.


i'd lieke to see u make a comic 5x a week!!!!!111
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
User avatar
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: I are serious member. This are serious post.

Postby Probablygod on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:06 pm

I'd like to see YOU make the comic 7x a week. NOW.
Probablygod
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:46 am

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:25 pm

Hey, making a decent comic seven days a week is demonstrably impossible. Or at least, impossible to sustain without creating some really retarded plots and individual strips that are only good for text replacement gags.

Legendary agrees.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:22 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Legendary on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:04 am

Nerd-o-rama wrote:Hey, making a decent comic seven days a week is demonstrably impossible. Or at least, impossible to sustain without creating some really retarded plots and individual strips that are only good for text replacement gags.

Legendary agrees.


No, I don't. You've neglected to mention pure gag strips such as Dinosaur comics and SMBC that update 7 days a week.

But, yeah, DD seemingly exists as a conduit for talented writers to replace its text. :roll:
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
User avatar
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: I are serious member. This are serious post.

Postby Draco N. Slayer on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:55 am

It wouldn't be impossible to run a high quality comic seven times a week. Take for example Schlock Mercenary. Seven times a week and with real art (no offense). Although, I don't think Legendary does this full time, which would limit the amount of time he can spend considerably. Not that I wouldn't mind daily Legendary.
Real men fight with Oboes!
Draco N. Slayer
Newbie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:14 pm
Location: In a colony of slippermen

Postby Legendary on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:18 am

Back on topic of the actual comics:

After much deliberation, I've concluded that a Sean Connery voice does wonders for the wolf.
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
User avatar
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: I are serious member. This are serious post.

Postby Hazardswake on Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:30 am

theKOT wrote:
hazardswake wrote:Good point. And I agree, criticism is good, even perhaps vital, to the well-being of a webcomic.

Wow....
No back-argument? A concession? What happened to the old internet, where your response would accuse me of megalomaniacism and say that the comic is free so I can't criticize it?
Maybe my computer screen is broken. It seems your response was like... mature or logical or something.


Haha, many forumers I've dealt with in the past (say, on the old DD forums, before they were locked down) seem to think posting an opinion on a forum made that opinion your sacred right, and that you had to FIGHT TO THE DEATH (via argument) any who would challenge your point of view. I don't buy into that.

Legendary wrote:i'd lieke to see u make a comic 5x a week!!!!!111


I can barely pull off 2 updates a week ;_; For shame, on me.

Legendary wrote:Back on topic of the actual comics:

After much deliberation, I've concluded that a Sean Connery voice does wonders for the wolf.


Brilliant!
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
User avatar
Hazardswake
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:28 am

Postby TheKOT on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:04 am

Legendary wrote:Back on topic of the actual comics:

After much deliberation, I've concluded that a Sean Connery voice does wonders for the wolf.

I'd say nothing can top futurama voices. They make everything funnier.
Founding member and supreme emperor for life of the Ione fan club.
TheKOT
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:21 am

Postby Tiako on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:04 pm

No, it is clearly best to go with exaggerated falsetto for the hare and an overly deep voice with the wolf. I imagine a child playing with toy dinosaurs, or better yet, a damsel in distress vs. evil bandit.

Imagine the opening scene in Toy Story with Potato Head (Wolf), Bo Peep (Hare), and Woody.
User avatar
Tiako
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:14 pm

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Legendary wrote:No, I don't. You've neglected to mention pure gag strips such as Dinosaur comics and SMBC that update 7 days a week.

And Cyanide & Happiness. Forgot to account for those, seeing as I generally think of webcomics as being plotted, and the aforementioned ones simply being like newspaper daily comic strips. Except, y'know, good. Also, I don't read Schlock Mercenary, but apparently I should.


Anyway, my first thought with the wolf and hare voices was Wash's introductory scene in Firefly. But as you've already done that, I think a reversal of your original suggestion would be good. After all, I just can't hear someone going hungry for three days without thinking of Zoidberg, or someone cowering for their life like a cornered rodent* without thinking of Zapp.

*Yes, I'm aware Hares are not rodents.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:22 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Rixaxun on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:20 am

That song is the FF Battle-Win music, right?

...right?
User avatar
Rixaxun
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:21 pm

Postby Miles C. on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:38 am

Legendary wrote:It would be kinda creepy to have an orchestra following you around. For serious.


He knows one day he just could become...
Supervisor!

Roy! Roy Roy Roy!
Legendary wrote:You are now "The Man."

Bear this title proudly.
Miles C.
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:42 am

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:48 am

Rixaxun wrote:That song is the FF Battle-Win music, right?

...right?

It's got the correct number of tones. And it wouldn't be the first time Legendary referenced a specific game.

Any way, rather funny.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:22 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Germ on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:43 pm

That'd be more likely during the "major plot point that wakes you up in the middle of a night at the inn" spoof.
User avatar
Germ
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:32 am
Location: There

The White Rabbit

Postby Necrayu on Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:35 am

I'm late..! Late agaen!
I need to actually peruse this forum more often, or something...

In regards to things like Schlock Mercenary and such, you have to keep in mind they've also got a good amount of buffer comics. The things they put up daily have most likely been drawn a month ago, possibly more, to give the artist and/or writer more time to prepare how the plot is advancing, as well as actually do the drawing, dialouge, etc.

In addition... I hate GM's who roll dice then tell the group what they fail at.
Frickin' seriously... a Sense Motive check wouldn't have the person go "Oh! That seemingly kind and benevolent wizard is really a powerful, obviously evil vampire!"
.....
Gah!
Necrayu
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:50 pm

Previous

 

Return to Legendary



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron