Comic Discussion - Week of 3-19-07

A place to discuss my comic, and for general talk.

Re: Calling newspaper comics ''funnies'' is pretty ironic.

Postby Hazardswake on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:32 am

Germ wrote:
hazardswake wrote:Also, I tend not to look at webcomics, even humor-related ones, the same way the one would look at, say, newspaper funnies.

I tend not to look at newspaper funnies.

Well, me neither, these days.
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby TheKOT on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:16 am

hazardswake wrote:Good point. And I agree, criticism is good, even perhaps vital, to the well-being of a webcomic.

Wow....
No back-argument? A concession? What happened to the old internet, where your response would accuse me of megalomaniacism and say that the comic is free so I can't criticize it?
Maybe my computer screen is broken. It seems your response was like... mature or logical or something.
Founding member and supreme emperor for life of the Ione fan club.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:06 pm

theKOT wrote:
hazardswake wrote:Good point. And I agree, criticism is good, even perhaps vital, to the well-being of a webcomic.

Wow....
No back-argument? A concession? What happened to the old internet, where your response would accuse me of megalomaniacism and say that the comic is free so I can't criticize it?

This comic still has a relatively small fan base. Those <STRIKE>morons</STRIKE> mature and logical people haven't shown up yet.
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby Legendary on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:44 pm

theKOT wrote:Wow....
Maybe my computer screen is broken. It seems your response was like... mature or logical or something.

i'd lieke to see u make a comic 5x a week!!!!!111
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby Probablygod on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:06 pm

I'd like to see YOU make the comic 7x a week. NOW.
Probablygod
Regular Poster

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:25 pm

Hey, making a decent comic seven days a week is demonstrably impossible. Or at least, impossible to sustain without creating some really retarded plots and individual strips that are only good for text replacement gags.

Legendary agrees.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster

Postby Legendary on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:04 am

Nerd-o-rama wrote:Hey, making a decent comic seven days a week is demonstrably impossible. Or at least, impossible to sustain without creating some really retarded plots and individual strips that are only good for text replacement gags.

Legendary agrees.

No, I don't. You've neglected to mention pure gag strips such as Dinosaur comics and SMBC that update 7 days a week.

But, yeah, DD seemingly exists as a conduit for talented writers to replace its text. :roll:
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby Draco N. Slayer on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:55 am

It wouldn't be impossible to run a high quality comic seven times a week. Take for example Schlock Mercenary. Seven times a week and with real art (no offense). Although, I don't think Legendary does this full time, which would limit the amount of time he can spend considerably. Not that I wouldn't mind daily Legendary.
Real men fight with Oboes!
Draco N. Slayer

Postby Legendary on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:18 am

Back on topic of the actual comics:

After much deliberation, I've concluded that a Sean Connery voice does wonders for the wolf.
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby Hazardswake on Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:30 am

theKOT wrote:

Wow....

Haha, many forumers I've dealt with in the past (say, on the old DD forums, before they were locked down) seem to think posting an opinion on a forum made that opinion your sacred right, and that you had to FIGHT TO THE DEATH (via argument) any who would challenge your point of view. I don't buy into that.

Legendary wrote:i'd lieke to see u make a comic 5x a week!!!!!111

I can barely pull off 2 updates a week ;_; For shame, on me.

Legendary wrote:Back on topic of the actual comics:

After much deliberation, I've concluded that a Sean Connery voice does wonders for the wolf.

Brilliant!
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby TheKOT on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:04 am

Legendary wrote:Back on topic of the actual comics:

I'd say nothing can top futurama voices. They make everything funnier.
Founding member and supreme emperor for life of the Ione fan club.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Postby Tiako on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:04 pm

No, it is clearly best to go with exaggerated falsetto for the hare and an overly deep voice with the wolf. I imagine a child playing with toy dinosaurs, or better yet, a damsel in distress vs. evil bandit.

Imagine the opening scene in Toy Story with Potato Head (Wolf), Bo Peep (Hare), and Woody.
Tiako
Regular Poster

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Legendary wrote:No, I don't. You've neglected to mention pure gag strips such as Dinosaur comics and SMBC that update 7 days a week.

And Cyanide & Happiness. Forgot to account for those, seeing as I generally think of webcomics as being plotted, and the aforementioned ones simply being like newspaper daily comic strips. Except, y'know, good. Also, I don't read Schlock Mercenary, but apparently I should.

Anyway, my first thought with the wolf and hare voices was Wash's introductory scene in Firefly. But as you've already done that, I think a reversal of your original suggestion would be good. After all, I just can't hear someone going hungry for three days without thinking of Zoidberg, or someone cowering for their life like a cornered rodent* without thinking of Zapp.

*Yes, I'm aware Hares are not rodents.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster

Postby Rixaxun on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:20 am

That song is the FF Battle-Win music, right?

...right?
Rixaxun
Regular Poster

Postby Miles C. on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:38 am

Legendary wrote:It would be kinda creepy to have an orchestra following you around. For serious.

He knows one day he just could become...
Supervisor!

Roy! Roy Roy Roy!
Legendary wrote:You are now "The Man."

Bear this title proudly.
Miles C.

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:48 am

Rixaxun wrote:That song is the FF Battle-Win music, right?

...right?

It's got the correct number of tones. And it wouldn't be the first time Legendary referenced a specific game.

Any way, rather funny.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:43 pm

That'd be more likely during the "major plot point that wakes you up in the middle of a night at the inn" spoof.
Germ
Regular Poster

The White Rabbit

Postby Necrayu on Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:35 am

I'm late..! Late agaen!
I need to actually peruse this forum more often, or something...

In regards to things like Schlock Mercenary and such, you have to keep in mind they've also got a good amount of buffer comics. The things they put up daily have most likely been drawn a month ago, possibly more, to give the artist and/or writer more time to prepare how the plot is advancing, as well as actually do the drawing, dialouge, etc.

In addition... I hate GM's who roll dice then tell the group what they fail at.
Frickin' seriously... a Sense Motive check wouldn't have the person go "Oh! That seemingly kind and benevolent wizard is really a powerful, obviously evil vampire!"
Gah!
Necrayu

Previous

Return to Legendary