Comic Discussion - Week of 3-19-07

A place to discuss my comic, and for general talk.

Comic Discussion - Week of 3-19-07

Postby Legendary on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:14 am

Howdy folks. Here is a thread in which this week's comics may be... discussed.
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby God of Chaos on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:49 am

I didn't think it was all that funny. :shifty:
It seemed like filler.
God of Chaos
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:27 am

I liked it. "Translated from Dwarvish. I mean, Elvish."
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby TheKOT on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:28 pm

Yeh, Not that great. I don't see the point, especially seeing as there are three dead panels. For SHAME Elflad. For shame.
Founding member and supreme emperor for life of the Ione fan club.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Postby Shimmel on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:08 pm

But silent beats are teh comedic genius! D:

Actually, I liked today's comic. At least there were different expressions in the silent panels. The translation thing was pretty funny, and Lona would totally talk in Dwarvish accidently instead of Elvish.
Shimmel
Regular Poster

Postby TheKOT on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:08 pm

Shimmel wrote:But silent beats are teh comedic genius! D:

Actually, I liked today's comic. At least there were different expressions in the silent panels. The translation thing was pretty funny, and Lona would totally talk in Dwarvish accidently instead of Elvish.

Oooook, you do realize that we've only seen Lona in two strips, including this one? The character's not yet well developed enough to bounce humor off of like that. Don't get me wrong, I like silent panels when they are done well, but nothing interesting or funny(IMO) happened in those panels to justify them. The jokes in the panels with dialouge weren't funny either.
Wrong name- so overdone, and this has nothing unique or extra funny about it.
You've won this round- Overdone again, and completely unfunny between two undeveloped characters like this.

All my opinion of course, but it seems like lazy writing/drawing either way. Or self-indulgent.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Postby Shimmel on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:05 pm

theKOT wrote:

Oooook, you do realize that we've only seen Lona in two strips, including this one? The character's not yet well developed enough to bounce humor off of like that. Don't get me wrong, I like silent panels when they are done well, but nothing interesting or funny(IMO) happened in those panels to justify them. The jokes in the panels with dialouge weren't funny either.
You've won this round- Overdone again, and completely unfunny between two undeveloped characters like this.

All my opinion of course, but it seems like lazy writing/drawing either way. Or self-indulgent.

Well, I'm not saying that the comic was the best ever or anything like that. I just don't think it was completely pointless. I don't think Lona or any character needs to be in a certain number of strips to be used for humor, and most ideas/jokes have been used by now, anyway.

But I agree that this comic wasn't up to the normal par. Maybe a bit of writer's block? :D
Shimmel
Regular Poster

Postby Katsu on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:10 pm

Ithought it was one of the funneyist comics yet.
Katsu

Postby TheKOT on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:54 pm

Shimmel wrote:
theKOT wrote:

Well, I'm not saying that the comic was the best ever or anything like that. I just don't think it was completely pointless. I don't think Lona or any character needs to be in a certain number of strips to be used for humor, and most ideas/jokes have been used by now, anyway.

But I agree that this comic wasn't up to the normal par. Maybe a bit of writer's block? :D

What I meant was that a character's personality can't really, on it's own, be the center of a joke before the character is somewhat established. It can't add much either.

But I'm a tough critic. I only find about 60% of the strips "good".
TheKOT
Regular Poster

In other words, SELF-LOATHING

Postby Legendary on Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:21 pm

But I'm a tough critic. I only find about 60% of the strips "good".

HA! I'm tougher!

edit: Almost missed this.

theKOT wrote:Wrong name- so overdone, and this has nothing unique or extra funny about it.

I was actually slightly referencing the whole gender controversy with the Ian-Ione thing. Very easy to miss, but I wasn't going for "hurr hurr, he forgot Ione's name, roffle, that's why it's funny!" Really, a total throwaway gag, and I guess a lot of people did throw it away.
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby TheKOT on Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:58 pm

I thought that might be it, but I couldn't decide if I was just projecting or if there was something more.

That does make it funnier, but still not funny. Nice shout-out though.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Postby God of Chaos on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:09 am

katsu wrote:Ithought it was one of the funneyist comics yet.

Have you actually READ any of the comics?
Known as Teh_Jakester EVERYWHERE else.
Games I'm currently playing: Guitar Hero I + II, God of War II
God of Chaos
Regular Poster

Postby TheKOT on Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:15 am

I was wondering when this strip would be done. Nice execution on it, but nothing spectacular.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Postby MYDM777 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:51 pm

o...k I actually enjoyed the comic.... you should be lucky legendarys not popular enough that if you insult the comic a bunch of people come around and stab you with hypodermic needles... Or you'd all be dead...
MYDM777

Postby Legendary on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:12 pm

MYDM777 wrote:you should be lucky legendarys not popular enough that if you insult the comic a bunch of people come around and stab you with hypodermic needles...

I'm lucky that I'm not that popular. Seriously, I view 80% of my work as not all that good in the first place.

And besides, when my readers aren't afraid to tell me when they don't like a comic, it makes the times when everybody does say that they like it that much more encouraging.

And I subscribe to the MST3K philosophy of comedy: "Make as many jokes as you can, people will remember the good ones and forgive the bad ones." So when TheKOT said he liked about 60% of the comics, I thought that was totally cool.

Um... In conclusion, I don't want to see any people flaming people for not liking the comic. (Not that it's happened yet, but I don't want it to go that way) That ain't how I roll, and it ain't how the forum's gonna roll.
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:41 pm

Yeah, all artists should pray that they never have a mainstream webcomic's fanbase. 'Cause damn.

Anyway, last three strips or so have appeared to move the plot along, but didn't, thus mimicking the RPG cutscene perfectly. I'm going to assume that was intentional, and laugh at it.

And there's nothing wrong with three panels of Beat. The format as it stands sort of requires a multiple of three panels, and there were two necessary ones already.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:50 am

Also, I tend not to look at webcomics, even humor-related ones, the same way the one would look at, say, newspaper funnies. There doesn't need to be a punchline, just enjoying the little quirks of the characters and the story is in itself plenty entertaining to me.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby TheKOT on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:26 am

This was pretty good; I especially liked the pause because it didn't feel out of place or extraneous.

If three beat panels are going to be included in a six panel comic, they had better fit and be really well done. Those three felt thrown in. Cut them out and the comic loses nothing.

I never said the comic needed punchlines, but it does need to be funny. The story in this comic isn't strong enough for any strip not to be somewhat funny. Little character quirks are present all the time, but they can't carry a strip. Especially not from a character that has only been around for two strips. I mean, if that's all it takes to amuse you, then almost every webcomic there is would seem hilarious.

I am a fan of this comic, but I enjoy criticizing anything I like. It's really a form of flattery that I care.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:22 am

theKOT wrote:I never said the comic needed punchlines, but it does need to be funny. The story in this comic isn't strong enough for any strip not to be somewhat funny. Little character quirks are present all the time, but they can't carry a strip. Especially not from a character that has only been around for two strips. I mean, if that's all it takes to amuse you, then almost every webcomic there is would seem hilarious.

Good point. And I agree, criticism is good, even perhaps vital, to the well-being of a webcomic.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Calling newspaper comics ''funnies'' is pretty ironic.

Postby Germ on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:15 am

hazardswake wrote:Also, I tend not to look at webcomics, even humor-related ones, the same way the one would look at, say, newspaper funnies.

I tend not to look at newspaper funnies.
Germ
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Legendary