Legendary: The Videogame! (recruiting)

A place to discuss my comic, and for general talk.

Postby Waf on Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:57 pm

I massively recommend making it with RPG maker XP. Way back in the day I worked on one for a bit with my comic and the fact that you can actually reprogram the engine is massively to your benefit in making the game.

Also the biggest thing I can recommend is don't make a game. Make little bits of episodic content so you don't get burnt out and quit. With XP you can program the games so they are patchable so if you work with episodic content when the next episode comes out players can keep the gear they acquired before.

Also little Sprite Jack wants to make a Cameo. Yes he does.
Last edited by Waf on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waf
Regular Poster

Postby Koete on Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:22 pm

Well im up for it, Sounds like fun to me.
Koete

Postby Hazardswake on Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:47 pm

TakatoGuil wrote::( Two whole people post and neither of them want to join! :lol:

Haha, sorry. I'm working on my own new game, as well as fixing up an old one. :P

TakatoGuil wrote:OK, hazardswake, I wouldn't be too sure. Look at the cave complex in #84, it's straightforward, but it isn't exactly small. The sneaking session in the castle might not be too short either. Considering that the comic is based on the main plot's important scenes, you don't really get a feel for how long things are.

And then there are the inevitable sidequests.

Good point. There could be a lot of potential that you could add just by being creative.

TakatoGuil wrote:Oh, and you CAN sell games w/ the RPG Maker series. But this is gonna be FREE.

Huh. I didn't know that.
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Probablygod on Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:44 am

from experience, RPG maker * games either not get released, suck, or directly cause the death of one of their creators. But good luck anyway. Because luck is free.
Probablygod
Regular Poster

Postby TakatoGuil on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:11 am

probablygod wrote:from experience, RPG maker * games either not get released, suck, or directly cause the death of one of their creators. But good luck anyway. Because luck is free.

I will take one for the team. Suicide sounds like a fun experience anyway. :lol:

In other news, this is actually going rather well. Most of Gaveria has been mapped (I still need to make the shops and add the staff sidequest), the spriter (Koete) has at least received his first message, I've got another couple of mappers, one of whom will start working on the Cave of Comic #84 (MYDM777), the other of whom will work on something (Tri4ngleM4n). No idea yet, but I think he mentioned the castle. And I've got a composer (Draco N. Slayer) working on battle music. Oh, and ValorForm will be available for helping us make more varieties for NPCs, when the project gets off its feed.

So, we're going strong so far.
Known as "Legendary" in the OOTS Forums.

Now I will torment the other Legendary forever.
TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby Thescaryworker on Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:13 am

I can do sound effects (not music), map making, and rule design (XP to level, HD, AC, etc). Any one is OK with me.

I've already made a few (okay ... maybe 20) sounds (from awhile ago).

Also, what language does RPG maker use? I can use python, C, and java.
Thescaryworker

Postby TakatoGuil on Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:24 am

The one we're using doesn't use a language- all of the programmable stuff is pretty easy to handle. Most of the stats can't really be worked out until such time as we've got the whole game (or most of it)- even Joan's first boss battle might not really have 1200 HP, but something else entirely.

But, map making... I'll PM you.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:28 pm

Really? Last I heard, the RPG Maker programs used Ruby, or some variant thereof.
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby TakatoGuil on Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:41 pm

Only XP lets you use Ruby.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:02 am

TakatoGuil wrote:
probablygod wrote:from experience, RPG maker * games either not get released, suck, or directly cause the death of one of their creators. But good luck anyway. Because luck is free.

I will take one for the team. Suicide sounds like a fun experience anyway. :lol:

I've played some damn nice RPG Maker games. Sure, they were free, but some of them were really innovative.

That aside, how are you doing "chipsets" for maps? Are you making your own, or using pre-existing ones? What about Sound Effects? I have a huge collection if you need any.

This thread has gotten me to start reworking my original RPG I made with RPG Maker 2000 seven years ago. Woo! >.> Damn, now I have even more crap that I'm working on all at once.
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Sipex on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:59 am

Damn, if I had a working home computer I'd be 100% up for helping, unfortunately that isn't the case but I'll be getting one in a few weeks (when us canadian's get our tax returns back).

Using RM2K3 I can do...
1) Map making (as long as I have a chipset)
2) Weapon/Item Design
3) Custom Battle Events
4) Event Programming

I can provide advice if need be, but I believe most of the people here can probably already answer the questions I can.
Sipex

Postby TakatoGuil on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:00 am

hazardswake wrote:That aside, how are you doing "chipsets" for maps? Are you making your own, or using pre-existing ones? What about Sound Effects? I have a huge collection if you need any.

Chipsets- right now, the pre-existing ones are just fine.

Sound effects- Hmm... tempting. I'll think about it. But it's never a good idea to make a decision right after waking... (*snore*)

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby God of Chaos on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:51 am

TakatoGuil wrote:

It does?
God of Chaos
Regular Poster

Postby Velian on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:12 pm

Damn you eyes and your misreadingnessicity I deeply apologize xD
Velian

Postby TakatoGuil on Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:40 pm

Sipex wrote:Damn, if I had a working home computer I'd be 100% up for helping, unfortunately that isn't the case but I'll be getting one in a few weeks (when us canadian's get our tax returns back).

Using RM2K3 I can do...
1) Map making (as long as I have a chipset)
2) Weapon/Item Design
3) Custom Battle Events
4) Event Programming

I can provide advice if need be, but I believe most of the people here can probably already answer the questions I can.

EVIL CANADIANS!!! RUINING AMERICA!!!! :lol:

I mean, thanks. Just let me know when u get ur comp.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby Shimmel on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:23 pm

Awesome project, guys! I've heard very good things about the PC RPG Makers. Sadly, I have no talents to lend that would be helpful for this project. Um, beta testing?

Yeah, I really have nothing productive to add. So... good luck!
Shimmel
Regular Poster

Postby Katsu on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:00 pm

I can make music and do some background (unmoving) sprites. if you have gm6.1 you can view some of my crap games at http://www.freewebs.com/greatbread/games.htm
I made this account to help so I would like something to do.
Katsu

Postby TakatoGuil on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:16 pm

I shouldn't be doing this, I should be focusing on many, many other matters.

katsu, ur in and i'll contact u around wed/thurs w/ the necessary details. Same to u, thescaryworker.

Oh, and everyone else I've contacted, if you've made any edits to the game files (such as adding maps/items/etc), email me. How? Look at the link for the game file. It's the first two words (w/ the dot in between them) @gmail.com

I'll release an updated main file w/ all the progress we've made of import to u guys around then.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby Squark on Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:17 pm

I can do some sprites and maybe a few sidequests.

In other news, this is my first post ever (on this forum)

EDIT: Although, I don't have rpgmaker at all. Except the XP demo, that is.
Squark

Postby TakatoGuil on Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:28 pm

Argh, I've fallen behind! Ok, here's the deal, so I don't have to type this for everyone who was already working.

I will PM you an updated link to the download of the game. If you made any maps/items/whatever, when you download, PUT IT SOMEWHERE ELSE. Then, copy-paste whatever you have into the new forum. Rename any maps of your own with a new number (like 0020 or whatever).

As for thescaryworker, katsu, and Squark, I'll PM you all the details and some preliminary instructions. Thank you, all of you. (on another note, anyone have a suggestion as to where to set up a private forum so I don't have to make seven PMs every time I need to let all of you see something)

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Legendary