Legendary: The Videogame! (recruiting)

A place to discuss my comic, and for general talk.

Legendary: The Videogame! (recruiting)

Postby TakatoGuil on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:49 pm

No RPG Parody Webcomic is possibly complete without... the video game based off of it! Let's face it, we all want to use Carnahan's Hammer and Sickle, we want to see the cutscene of the white cloaked figure 8-bit style (ok, the graphics will be better than THAT), and of course, we all want to be pinned in a corner by an NPC who won't ever move again!

So, I have begun the project. Unfortunately, I can't do it on my own. So I'm asking you, the fans, to help me out.

Wanted:

Overworld sprites
Battle sprites (both the PCs and the enemies)
Map graphics
Animations
Mappers
Composers

So, to join the project, post here, and I will PM you the details, including how to get the program for which we will be making this.

EDIT: Also, people who can help make the items/monsters/skills will be useful.
Last edited by TakatoGuil on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Known as "Legendary" in the OOTS Forums.

Now I will torment the other Legendary forever.
TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby TheKOT on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:18 pm

Have you asked permission yet? Other than that, I'd like to heartily endorse this effort. I have no talent in any of these areas, but this deserves note.
Founding member and supreme emperor for life of the Ione fan club.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Postby TakatoGuil on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:22 pm

I did indeed. I would never infringe on what is at least intellectual property (is this copyrighted? I don't think so, but I could be wrong), even if I was confident that the owner was such a cool dude he'd say yes.

And thanks for your support. I hope everyone else supports this too.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Help is coming friend!

Postby Tri4ngleM4n on Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:46 am

So, you're requesting aid in the making of a RPG eh? Will this be the normal style rpg? I've some experience mapping and making items and quests and such with the "Player Worlds" software, but were making a MMORPG with a server and all. Not the normal style RPG. But if you're still looking for assistance with mapping, items, and NPC's, I'll help you out.
Tri4ngleM4n

Postby Reaver225 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:37 am

I highly doubt YOUR MOM will succeed (in bringing up a non-cynical child)!

To the 'crew' doing this: Are you trying to use someone's engine, or making one from scratch?
Reaver225
Regular Poster

Postby TakatoGuil on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:30 am

Tri4ngleM4n wrote:So, you're requesting aid in the making of a RPG eh? Will this be the normal style rpg? I've some experience mapping and making items and quests and such with the "Player Worlds" software, but were making a MMORPG with a server and all. Not the normal style RPG. But if you're still looking for assistance with mapping, items, and NPC's, I'll help you out.

It's "normal style" RPG. Final Fantasy and all that. I'll take ANY help, and will PM you as soon as I'm done posting.

[quote=Secret]I highly doubt that this will succeed.[/quote]

Can I put you down as an artist or a mapper? :lol:

[quote=Reaver225]To the 'crew' doing this: Are you trying to use someone's engine, or making one from scratch?[/quote]

We'll be using RPG Maker 2003. Making an engine from scratch would terminate my sanity. Er, what's LEFT of my sanity.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:26 am

Sadly, I have none of the artistic or creative abilities that you ask for. If you needed actual programmers (and you probably don't, as you're using RPG Maker), I'd volunteer my services.

Also, I believe Legendary officially endorsed this idea on the news page, so there you go.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster

Postby Velian on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:48 am

Okay first off your using rpgmaker 3 "otherwise known as 5" this means you wont have any help from anyone other then people you actually know. Secondly if by some amazing chance you actually finish this the only people who will be able to play it are people you know. In other words rpgmaker 3 is training wheels for making an actual game. If you want to make a REAL game then get a real engine, learn how to model, learn how to animate, and learn how to code. Thinks to himself "hmmmm am I a sleezy bastard for running this thing into the ground at 99 miles per hour....nah :roll: "
Velian

Postby TakatoGuil on Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:15 pm

Velian wrote:Okay first off your using rpgmaker 3 "otherwise known as 5" this means you wont have any help from anyone other then people you actually know. Secondly if by some amazing chance you actually finish this the only people who will be able to play it are people you know. In other words rpgmaker 3 is training wheels for making an actual game. If you want to make a REAL game then get a real engine, learn how to model, learn how to animate, and learn how to code. Thinks to himself "hmmmm am I a sleezy bastard for running this thing into the ground at 99 miles per hour....nah :roll: "

1. No, I'm using RPG Maker 2003. NOT RPG Maker 3 (or 5).

2. Again, seeing as I'm using 2k3, I don't see the problem.

3. So Final Fantasy WASN'T a real game? Come to think of it, neither was Pokemon. Or half of the Legend of Zeldas. Or Pong. After all, none of them had models.

I might not have a "real engine" but I have something that can pull off quite a lot. I don't need to model, BECAUSE IT'S 2D. And why do I need to learn how to code when the RPG Maker 2k3 creators have supplied me with nearly everything.

And animations? Again, it's a 2D game. The closest things I'll have to animations are the "victory poses" and attacks.

If I have to learn to make those by myself, I will. I posted this because (a) I don't want to have to learn to sprite to get this game out and (b) because there are awesome spriters already and I figure they might want to show off their 1337 skills.

I'll do this myself if I have to, but rest assured, within a year of the comic's completion, I'll have a game for all the fans to play.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby Draco N. Slayer on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:17 pm

I'd be interested in helping. I can write music I guess. Personally I think you should make your own engine since it gives you more control and everything. Either way it looks like fun so I might as well be in it.
Draco N. Slayer

Postby Dustbin on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:10 pm

I'm kinda busy atm, but I was thinking my next project, when I have time, will be to create a 2D engine. So if you ever want someone to build an engine for you I could do it. I would probably use java with the jogl opengl bindings and make it as a web start app.
Dustbin

Postby TakatoGuil on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:33 pm

Hmm... maybe. Maybe you can contact me once you aren't busy and we can talk. It'll be irksome converting everything when you're done, but we (me, tri4nglem4n, and Draco) might not be too far along.

Regardless of what happens, thanks for the offer! :D

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby MYDM777 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:40 pm

I have no abilities what so ever but I lvl up quickly and learn new feats with every lvl up.. Give me any odd task and some guidelines and I'm good to go...
MYDM777

Postby Draco N. Slayer on Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:30 am

I don't think there would be that much work converting. You could make the new engine the same as the old one in every way if you wanted, but then there wouldn't be much point. I don't think it matters much for me because I'd just use .midi files either way. Or maybe I actually have no idea what I'm talking about.

On another note, what about the story? Would it follow the comic, or be indirectly related to the comic, or have nothing to do with the comic whatsoever, or what?
Draco N. Slayer

Postby Masamunemaniac on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:10 am

So, would sprites for ADVENTURERS! characters be of any use to you? :P
Masamunemaniac

Postby ValorForm on Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:16 am

Let's see here...

Check out http://charas-project.net/, and I'll edit whatever sprites you want.

And yes, there are animations in sprite-based games. It's not just a still mario moving across the screen!
ValorForm

Postby TakatoGuil on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:27 am

Draco N. Slayer wrote:On another note, what about the story? Would it follow the comic, or be indirectly related to the comic, or have nothing to do with the comic whatsoever, or what?

It would have its main story follow the comic as closely as I am able. Then we would add upwards of 300000000000000000+ side quests. :twisted:

masuamunemaniac wrote:So, would sprites for ADVENTURERS! characters be of any use to you?

Sorry, but I get the feeling that shaventalz would kick me out of the project so fast I'd forget about the (deleted for spoilers), which was just awesome!

ValorForm wrote:Let's see here...

Check out http://charas-project.net/, and I'll edit whatever sprites you want.

And yes, there are animations in sprite-based games. It's not just a still mario moving across the screen!

*begins to worship* I'll look over it and get to you shortly. It'll be difficult finding all that I need with all that awesomeness available.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:30 am

Velian wrote:Okay first off your using rpgmaker 3 "otherwise known as 5" this means you wont have any help from anyone other then people you actually know. Secondly if by some amazing chance you actually finish this the only people who will be able to play it are people you know. In other words rpgmaker 3 is training wheels for making an actual game. If you want to make a REAL game then get a real engine, learn how to model, learn how to animate, and learn how to code. Thinks to himself "hmmmm am I a sleezy bastard for running this thing into the ground at 99 miles per hour....nah :roll: "

Nonsense. You can make a damn fine game with that engine, if we are indeed speaking of the PC version of RPG Maker 2003. Though, RPG Maker XP has superior graphics (and some, oddly enough, inferior settings) and also allows you to edit the source code, thus I like it better.

Point is, don't sell short the power of these engines. True, you can't sell the games, I don't think, but you can do a hell of a lot with them. I've made three (incomplete, yet still two are pretty huge) games for the RPG Maker 2000 and am making one for RPG Maker XP (at a veeeery slow pace, because I'm running a webcomic, too :P).

The biggest problem I see, however, is the fact that is RPG will (I'm assuming) quickly catch up with the current plotline after you get the hang of how the game plays. Or are you going for an "alternate universe" sort of style with the same characters but different settings? EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the part in your last post where you answered that.
Last edited by Hazardswake on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Germ on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:31 am

Though there are animations in sprite-based games, I think the point was they're far easier to do than 3D modeling. You really only need two or three frames for most RPG animations. More in a battle, but there haven't been any crazy awesome spells or absurdly long unskippable summon sequences yet (I'm looking at you, Ark from FF9).
Germ
Regular Poster

Postby TakatoGuil on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:47 am

:( Two whole people post and neither of them want to join! :lol:

OK, hazardswake, I wouldn't be too sure. Look at the cave complex in #84, it's straightforward, but it isn't exactly small. The sneaking session in the castle might not be too short either. Considering that the comic is based on the main plot's important scenes, you don't really get a feel for how long things are.

And then there are the inevitable sidequests.

Oh, and you CAN sell games w/ the RPG Maker series. But this is gonna be FREE.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Legendary