Predictions!

A place to discuss my comic, and for general talk.

Predictions!

Postby TheKOT on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:04 am

So here is THE PLACE to post any and all predictions you might have about Legendary. Is Sarive a villainess? Will Antonio, Sarive, and Ana get caught up in a love triangle? Is Lionel really that fat? Where have all the good men gone? These and many more questions can currently only be answered by YOU! Of course your answers are inevitably incorrect and the real answers will likely pop up soon, but....
So how about it? Anybody have any theories they would like to share?
TheKOT
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:21 am

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:19 pm

Nerd-o-rama wrote:I'm holding to the theory that either Sarive is Vania in disguise, or a "source of information" NPC that follows the party around and doles out exposition, but doesn't fight. Bugenhagen from FFVII is the first that comes to mind.

Reposting this from Latest Comic, along with another possible Sarive explanation: she's technically a love interest (or at least as close as JRPG's usually get to love interests) of someone who isn't the starting character (the principle's love interest will, of course, join the party.) This can also explain her unexpected character development.

Note: the fact that Lionel the White Mage is the starting character, rather than Antonio the manly Swordsman (the archetype who typically gets the girl), may throw this prediction off a bit.

I'm also making the obvious prediction that General Iscariot is not the main BBEG, but merely the pawn, or perhaps former employer, of a much more badass god-like villain. Possibly Sarive.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:22 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Legendary on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:52 pm

Nerd-o-rama wrote:Reposting this from Latest Comic, along with another possible Sarive explanation: she's technically a love interest (or at least as close as JRPG's usually get to love interests) of someone who isn't the starting character (the principle's love interest will, of course, join the party.) This can also explain her unexpected character development.


Like how Vyse in Skies of Arcadia hogged all the playable girls, so the rugged swashbuckler and bishounen Knight in Shining Armor had to have NPC love interests?

I mean, ouch.

Side Note: I love how Firefox spell checker offers "snobbishness" and "unnourished" as suggestions for "bishounen."
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
User avatar
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: I are serious member. This are serious post.

well

Postby Alex Warlorn on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:45 pm

There is also the Lunar Eternal Blue factor.
She could be a party NPC. Like Lucia from said game.
You can't change her name, or control her actions, or her equipment. But she DOES fight with the party and have character development.
Alex Warlorn
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:41 pm

Postby Tanavar on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:51 am

Sairive is the Princess in disguise
Tanavar
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:42 am

Postby Malek2991 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:29 am

Tanavar wrote:Sairive is the Princess in disguise


That's the theory I'm operating under... It would explain why her feathers are blue.
Malek2991
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:56 am

Postby ValorForm on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Sarive is a rebellious princess who befriends the hired help against her father's wishes. She switched places with the maid because she's a free spirit bored with her restrictive life.

I think comic 100 is going to be when they meet Benedict Subtlety Iscariot. Or they enter the city, depending on how long the boss battle is.
User avatar
ValorForm
Newbie
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:49 pm

Postby Hazardswake on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:46 am

My theory is that she is the princess, who, while escaping, hit her head and now THINKS she's just a maid who has to save the princess. ... ... ... Okay, maybe that's a stretch.

And love triangles are fun until it's time to resolve them (unless they somehow continue past the game's story, which can either be annoying or nessisary, or both). But, when it does come to resolution time, you usually get a ton of character growth.
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
User avatar
Hazardswake
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:28 am

Postby TheKOT on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:29 pm

hazardswake wrote:My theory is that she is the princess, who, while escaping, hit her head and now THINKS she's just a maid who has to save the princess. ... ... ... Okay, maybe that's a stretch.

And love triangles are fun until it's time to resolve them (unless they somehow continue past the game's story, which can either be annoying or nessisary, or both). But, when it does come to resolution time, you usually get a ton of character growth.

Yeah, I felt really sorry for Ana. I don't know why Antonio is so smitten with Sarive. He doesn't know very much about her. It calls to mind Roy's infatuation with Miko; that attraction was also based on looks and percieved similarities. Meh, I'm gonna wait and see.
TheKOT
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:21 am

Postby Legendary on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:52 pm

theKOT wrote:Yeah, I felt really sorry for Ana. I don't know why Antonio is so smitten with Sarive. He doesn't know very much about her. It calls to mind Roy's infatuation with Miko; that attraction was also based on looks and percieved similarities. Meh, I'm gonna wait and see.


1. I felt sorry for Ana, too, when I wrote that. However, Ana was like the "rough draft" for Antonio. She was a character who eventually was scrapped in place of Antonio, so her appearance was more of a little in-joke for myself then making her an actual character. And if Antonio did fall on love with Ana, speaking as the author who basically just switched Ana's gender and wardrobe and dialed up the sarcasm a bit to make Antonio, I'd find that kind of creepy.

2. Antonio isn't smitten with Sarive. I suppose I can understand how you'd think that, but there are really only two strips that hint at that.

#70, although I wrote that more as Antonio being noble to a fault. Lionel's line in the final panel is his view. He thinks that Antonio sided with Sarive because he liked her, but that wasn't it. Remember, though, Lionel also thought that Antonio was nice to Ana because he liked her. Antonio is just blindly chivalrous to women in general, which is why he'd side with Sarive, who seemed honestly sorry and motivated only by friendship, instead of the generally abrasive unnamed Avian. He thought he was doing the right thing by helping out a poor, defenseless (in his view) girl. It was pure luck on his part that Sarive and Carnahan turned out OK. So far.

#90, which is definitely a bit more suggestive of a crush, but compared to the other strips, this is definitely the behavior that's much less common of Antonio. In the other comics where he talked with Sarive, he was either giving commands or trying to get the full story. And, as an author, I had the sight gag for the "Party Member" panel but needed one for the villain panel that didn't include the "Heavy-handed Betrayal I'd used in #85. And Antonio hasn't hit on Sarive or gone out of his way to talk to her.

Also, my comic has shippers? D:
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
User avatar
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: I are serious member. This are serious post.

Postby Hazardswake on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:04 am

I think Antonio's reaction in #90 is an "I'm a male and I highly approve of this image *drool*" reaction, not an "That affirms it, I love her" sort of deal in any sort.

As to the comment about shippers, I dunno if I was included in that, but I was talking more of Love Triangles in general. I'll wait until we meet more of the cast to start any sort of relationship guessing. :P
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
User avatar
Hazardswake
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:28 am

Postby TheKOT on Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:22 am

Legendary wrote:
theKOT wrote:Yeah, I felt really sorry for Ana. I don't know why Antonio is so smitten with Sarive. He doesn't know very much about her. It calls to mind Roy's infatuation with Miko; that attraction was also based on looks and percieved similarities. Meh, I'm gonna wait and see.


1. I felt sorry for Ana, too, when I wrote that. However, Ana was like the "rough draft" for Antonio. She was a character who eventually was scrapped in place of Antonio, so her appearance was more of a little in-joke for myself then making her an actual character. And if Antonio did fall on love with Ana, speaking as the author who basically just switched Ana's gender and wardrobe and dialed up the sarcasm a bit to make Antonio, I'd find that kind of creepy.

2. Antonio isn't smitten with Sarive. I suppose I can understand how you'd think that, but there are really only two strips that hint at that.

#70, although I wrote that more as Antonio being noble to a fault. Lionel's line in the final panel is his view. He thinks that Antonio sided with Sarive because he liked her, but that wasn't it. Remember, though, Lionel also thought that Antonio was nice to Ana because he liked her. Antonio is just blindly chivalrous to women in general, which is why he'd side with Sarive, who seemed honestly sorry and motivated only by friendship, instead of the generally abrasive unnamed Avian. He thought he was doing the right thing by helping out a poor, defenseless (in his view) girl. It was pure luck on his part that Sarive and Carnahan turned out OK. So far.

#90, which is definitely a bit more suggestive of a crush, but compared to the other strips, this is definitely the behavior that's much less common of Antonio. In the other comics where he talked with Sarive, he was either giving commands or trying to get the full story. And, as an author, I had the sight gag for the "Party Member" panel but needed one for the villain panel that didn't include the "Heavy-handed Betrayal I'd used in #85. And Antonio hasn't hit on Sarive or gone out of his way to talk to her.

Also, my comic has shippers? D:

Well it is hard to tell that. From what I had seen, Antonio was willing to be blinded to the very suspicious and untrustworthy parts of Sarive for no apparant reason. He listens to her instead of the actual guide and ignores the other tip-offs that SOMETHING is up with her. Chivalry should not be-and by definition is not-something that clouds your judgement. I don't think it is in Antonio's nature to hit on somebody so soon, even if he is highly attracted. That wouldn't be chivalrous of him. But I guess if you say he would be hitting on her if he was infatuated then it is so automatically.

Also, about Ana I suppose the strip just felt like it would have some follow-up. I mean, just making a girl cry in the last panel and then brushing away for an in-joke? SEEMED unlikely. But I still really liked that strip, so meh.

I wouldn't call this shipping because I don't really care how it turns out. I do like theorizing on relationships though.
hazardswake wrote:I think Antonio's reaction in #90 is an "I'm a male and I highly approve of this image *drool*" reaction, not an "That affirms it, I love her" sort of deal in any sort.

I guess you could look at it that way. Typically, however, when a guy goes comatose over an imagined image of a girl he is at least a bit smitten with her.
TheKOT
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:21 am

Postby Tiako on Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:10 am

One thing I noticed: When Lionel and Antonio were taking the amulet to be used by Benedict (I prefer Brutus) Iscariot, all of the cute and not so cute animals were attacking the,. But with Sarive that isn't the case.

On the other hand, Sarive's story seems to cast her enemies as almost too evil. On one hand, this could just be for comic effect, or it could be her deliberately misleading them. For example, we have no evidence that the Real Guide was actually bad (You would be fairly irritated as well if you were tied up in a closet for a few days), and her having him say "Let's kill all humans" seems to be laying it on a bit think.

I am convinced that Carnahan is not evil, however.

I guess you could look at it that way. Typically, however, when a guy goes comatose over an imagined image of a girl he is at least a bit smitten with her.

If you are male, imagine Charlize Theron in that outfit. I believe my point is made.
User avatar
Tiako
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:14 pm

Postby TheKOT on Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:24 am

If you are male, imagine Charlize Theron in that outfit.

Who? Seriously though, that would at least mean he was very attracted to her.[/quote]
TheKOT
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:21 am

Postby Legendary on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:49 pm

Regarding the strip in question, I always felt like the punchline was rushed and out-of-character, but I was in a hurry and needed to get it finished, so I just went with it. Basically, I stretched character for the sake of comedic license, which is something I've had to do occasionally but I've never really liked.

Although I recently had an idea that I think works better (just a week and a half late...) and if I end up deciding that it warrants a retcon, you could see this in your next archive trawl.
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
User avatar
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: I are serious member. This are serious post.

Postby TheKOT on Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:30 pm

Ah, I see. That would explain it then.
So many Final Fantasy inside jokes.... theKOT doesn't get references... But it LOOKS good!
TheKOT
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:21 am

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:01 pm

Ooh...I vote for that text and sword with the original outfit.

And TheKOT, if you don't get the Final Fantasy references...wow, this strip must be a lot better written than I thought, 'cause that's most of the jokes.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:22 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Tiako on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:12 am

Well, a Google search yielded up the translation, which doesn't really work (Or at least, does not work as well as other Latin might). Eh, whatever. It's a FF joke.
User avatar
Tiako
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:14 pm

Postby Nerd-o-rama on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:36 am

"Burning inside with a violent anger"
"Come, come, oh come, do not let me die"
"(Fake Latinization of a name)"

In case you were curious. Man, I'm a choir nerd.
Nerd-o-rama
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:22 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Legendary on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:32 am

I just copy-pasted it from the One-Winged Angel lyrics. Except for the name.
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
User avatar
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: I are serious member. This are serious post.

Next

 

Return to Legendary



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron