Cartoon Comments

Discussion of the strip and the characters, life in Alaska, and the cartooning process.

Cartoon Comments

Postby Tafkas on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:53 am

What do you think of the strip? In general or about any particular comic.
[Image
Hey, don't you worry...
Tafkas
Regular Poster

what I think of the strip and howdy

Postby Rogers on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:51 am

First: I really enjoy the strip, and was sad to see it change to twice weekly. but I understand how busy folks can get.

I'm from Minnesota, too (originally) but I pretty well get all the jokes. My son and his family go to AK every summer (from Greenville, SC) to work at a camp (on the Kenai peninsula) and I sent him a link. I'm pretty sure he shared it with everyone at the camp.

Someday I'm gonna visit AK. I've been planning a motorcycle ride from Key West to Prudhoe Bay. It was while doing research for this ride that I ran into the strip.

I tried to shoot you guys a note but couldn't find a link or address anywhere--no forum, no nothing; I even wrote the admin of the host site. Eventually I got a reply and the admin said he'd see if he could get in touch. Then yesterday or so I noticed the forum link on the strip page. So here I am.

Very best to you, and if you ever get out to the east coast, you're invited to come visit. Lunch is on me. (Okay, this offer is good for anyone who sees this message.)
Best wishes,
Rogers George
Rogers

Re: what I think of the strip and howdy

Postby Tafkas on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:07 pm

Rogers wrote:First: I really enjoy the strip, and was sad to see it change to twice weekly. but I understand how busy folks can get.

It went from daily to Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Check the archive for any you might have missed. Sorry it took a while to get in touch, I had a tagboard up for a long time but the spambots got too thick so I had to take it down. Your inquiry was the reason I finally got around to starting the forum.
Thanks for reading! :D
[Image
Hey, don't you worry...
Tafkas
Regular Poster

Postby Rogers on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:34 am

hah! so it does! (appear 3x /week) I was going to add that now I was 50% richer than I thought, but I also see that I haven't missed any. Guess I'm loosing my ability to count--and I used to teach math...

I was born in TX, btw, so I identify a bit with Earl Welles. --And I just now got the pun in his name. BAD!

back to lurking.
Best wishes,
Rogers George
Rogers

Postby Tafkas on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:31 pm

Steve was born in Texas too. The character was originally Ernie Chumlein from Lakehurst, New Jersey for an urban fish-out-of-water feel.We decided the Texas/Alaska rivalry was better. A friend had a new roomate named Earl from Texas who pronounced "oil as "earl" and I couldn't resist the pun. :wink:
[Image
Hey, don't you worry...
Tafkas
Regular Poster

Postby Soulhunter on Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:06 pm

Ok, just finished reading the comic, it took me some time as you can tell. Busy with a few things and forgetting to read the comic because I was too tired or the Xbox stole my mind for the night. Living in Minnesota I do get some of the jokes.

I know vary little about Alaska life but hearing it from a few relatives that lived there and even from alaskawolf I understand what living in Alaska is like. I knew about the tires being stiff when I was in school and hearing about the -80 records back in the day. (Well, I think that is what it was, I know that -40 is what you see a lot of)

Anyway, I enjoyed your comic and I will be sticking around. I sent out a link to a few people that I know will enjoy it as much as I have. Now if you don't mind, its Xbox time. I have noting better to do tonight because I’m waiting for your next comic.
Soulhunter

Postby Maven on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:37 pm

I love the comic. I fell in love with fictional Alaska in Dana Stabenow's books, but as a native Texan, I doubt I'll ever see it except from a cruise ship stop. I'm a total whimp about REAL cold.
Maven

Postby Crystalis on Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:03 am

I came across the strip from The Whiteboard (which I came across in turn from Schlock Mercenary) and have devoured the archives in just a few days. I am now sadly having to sit and wait on regular updates like the rest of the masses. One quick question : I notice that the last update I see was January 30th - was there an announced hiatus that I missed as a new reader?

*edit* The board ate some of my words!
Last edited by Crystalis on Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crystalis

Postby Rogers on Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:47 am

No announcement of a hiatus that I saw--in fact, I came here to check if there was an announcement. Judging from the last strip, maybe they are snowed in and suffering cabin fever!

I certainly don't miss lawn mowing yet...
Best wishes,
Rogers George
Rogers

Postby Tafkas on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:29 pm

Sorry about being incommunicado. Health issues have kept me from being computer coherent regarding announcements. The strip is on semi-hiatus for the time being; updates may appear on Wednesdays. There is going to be a format change down the road and an animated special come King salmon season. I just have to figure out how to host it.
[Image
Hey, don't you worry...
Tafkas
Regular Poster

hiatus

Postby Rogers on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:05 am

Hey--get better, man. Hope it's something minor like an ulcer, and not serious like being out of coffee!

We loyal fans will enjoy whatever you manage to send our way.
Best wishes,
Rogers George
Rogers

Postby Kabuki0420 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:48 am

Crystalis wrote:I came across the strip from The Whiteboard (which I came across in turn from Schlock Mercenary) and have devoured the archives in just a few days. I am now sadly having to sit and wait on regular updates like the rest of the masses.

:o
You too, eh? That's kinda scary, but nice taste in webcomics!

Egad I miss snow; I'm in the Philippines for a year doing some audio video work as an internship, and Christmas this 'winter' saw 80°F and sunny. Just READING Camp Alaska helps me cool off! Of course, 'home' is Seattle, so... yeah, our winter these days consists of overcast & rainy, but still. Of course, this year, they had record snowfall starting as early as November back home, figures... :roll:
Kabuki0420

Postby Crystalis on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:55 pm

kabuki0420 wrote:
Crystalis wrote:I came across the strip from The Whiteboard (which I came across in turn from Schlock Mercenary) and have devoured the archives in just a few days. I am now sadly having to sit and wait on regular updates like the rest of the masses.

:o
You too, eh? That's kinda scary, but nice taste in webcomics!

Heh, thanks. That's like, 2% of my daily webcomic list. I think. Let me check my notes. ;-P
Crystalis

Postby Stumpifier on Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:03 pm

I came here from the Whiteboard too. I love this comic. It's style is great, funny without trying to be funny and the art is great too. Definetly makes me want to move to Alaska. A few of my favorites are
Willy's Snowblower,
Slag
and the bottom comic on this
Christmas page

Please keep updating!!,

Matt
Stumpifier

Return to Camp Alaska