The Mayor: Control Freak or Secret Villain?

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.

The Mayor: Control Freak or Secret Villain?

Postby Phantom64 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Ever since the Mayor of Pharos City has made her presence known (along with her dislike of Lightbringer) it makes me wonder about her motives.

Is she secretly part of why Pharos was so corrupt and filled with crime for some twisted reason be it bribes or something even more sinister? or is this all about pride and jealousy? I mean before Lightbringer came along the city had gone to hell on her watch, is this just her being pissy that some super-powered vigilante is doing a better job than her?

What are your thoughts?
Phantom64

Re: The Mayor: Control Freak or Secret Villain?

Postby Gear001 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:02 am

We haven't seen enough of her to get a positive read on her motives. Although the fact that she turned to 'The Seven' for aid is quite suspicious...
I see the world around me. I capture it, I decypher it, analyze it. I can adapt, more than any man, more than any monster, more than any machine. I have ascended to a point where the world is a simple series of calculations and figments. I have become more than a man, less than a god, and much less humane. I have become infinite, and I have become nothing. I have become the Infinite Void, and you will be analyzed!
Gear001
Regular Poster

Postby Sun tzu on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:43 am

Phantom64 wrote:Ever since the Mayor of Pharos City has made her presence known (along with her dislike of Lightbringer) it makes me wonder about her motives.

Is she secretly part of why Pharos was so corrupt and filled with crime for some twisted reason be it bribes or something even more sinister? or is this all about pride and jealousy? I mean before Lightbringer came along the city had gone to hell on her watch, is this just her being pissy that some super-powered vigilante is doing a better job than her?

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that, quite frankly, a lot of what she's been saying makes sense. Lightbringer's vigilante ways are establishing a dangerous precedent, and I don't think one needs to be villainous or a control freak to demand that he stops. (Mind you, I didn't have a real problem with that until the recent storylines brought attention to it, because I was willing to shrug off such concerns and just accept it as part of the genre.)
If the mayor turns out to be some kind of evil mastermind...I'm going to feel cheated.
Saga of Soul: Not your typical magical girl.
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Postby Phantom64 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Sun tzu wrote:
Phantom64 wrote:Ever since the Mayor of Pharos City has made her presence known (along with her dislike of Lightbringer) it makes me wonder about her motives.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that, quite frankly, a lot of what she's been saying makes sense. Lightbringer's vigilante ways are establishing a dangerous precedent, and I don't think one needs to be villainous or a control freak to demand that he stops. (Mind you, I didn't have a real problem with that until the recent storylines brought attention to it, because I was willing to shrug off such concerns and just accept it as part of the genre.)
If the mayor turns out to be some kind of evil mastermind...I'm going to feel cheated.

Sorry if I'm a hero worshiper and think the mayor is being an ungrateful b#$#. This was a city where human traffickers frightened the cops into submission and paraded frightened broken kidnapped girls in broad freaking daylight, and she did nothing. She claimed they would have taken down the slavers in time. When would that have been? 5, 10 years? This city made Gotham look like a playground before Lightbringer set up shop. The Mayor is just being spiteful that the people are cheering Lightbringer and not her name, plain and simple. If she gave rats ass about fixing the city she wouldn't have let the cops become so frightened of gang retribution or the gang violence get as bad as it did.

If she could get the financial backing of the seven to help her outlaw Lightbringer why didn't she use them to create a brass-balls anti-gang SWAT team hmm?
Phantom64

Postby Gear001 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:53 am

I agree with Phantom here. I also want to point to the way she's portrayed in the artwork. In some of the pannels she seems tired, with bags under her eyes, and in others she seems to be loosing grip on reality with her crazy banter. I'm going for the "She's snapped, homefizzle!" theory.

Although, it is arguable that she was having genuine trouble fighting the slavers. However, this does not give her a reason to beat on Lightbringer, like she is now. Now, I don't know how much of a problem Lightbringer is causing in the Vigilante department. There's only been mention of one other hero so far, and she lives in the Middle-East. Perhaps Linkara should actually show us another, non-powered Vigilante if the Mayor is to make a valid point.
I see the world around me. I capture it, I decypher it, analyze it. I can adapt, more than any man, more than any monster, more than any machine. I have ascended to a point where the world is a simple series of calculations and figments. I have become more than a man, less than a god, and much less humane. I have become infinite, and I have become nothing. I have become the Infinite Void, and you will be analyzed!
Gear001
Regular Poster

Postby Visiden on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:28 am

I, for one, hope that she isn't an actual villain. Rather, she would be just a person who dislikes LB. In fact, we should get a few more people who are not really villains but just dislike LB and his ways. One Mary Sue trait is how the Sue defines morality in the story. That is; people who like the character are good and people who dislike the character are evil. This can be remedied by having good people who just don't like the character. Even heroes can rub off each other the wrong way. I think the mayor helps in doing just that.
Visiden

Return to Lightbringer