Do you have what it takes to be a superhero?

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.

Do you have what it takes to be a superhero?

Postby Celey on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:22 pm

I've skimmed through the threads in this forum, and I haven't seen a topic like this, so I figured I'd post it here! If that's okay... The forum rules do say you can talk about superheroes... (That's a pretty general topic there...)... And the forum is kind of, well, slow... So I figured a new topic wouldn't hurt anything. (It's actually kind of surprising it is slow, I would've thought Linkara's internet celebrity status would've made this forum a little more lively... Ah well.)

Anyway! I'm sure everyone here has wanted superpowers at some point...

So without further ado... You have been bitten by a radioactive flower... Or zapped by the Magical Ray of Awesomeness... Or experimented on by The Secret Government Agency of Doom!!! SUPERPOWERS! YES!

Okay, so let's do some self-examining here... Being a superhero IS a big responsibility. I'm not so sure if every person who gets superpowers would be able to handle being a superhero... (or a supervillain). Truthfully, we couldn't know with certainty whether we could handle being superheroes or not without actually being put in that kind of situation... But let's speculate.

Think about what makes a superhero a hero. What are some qualities a superhero has that you can find in yourself? Are there some qualities in a superhero that you don't have? Is there enough flexibility in your life to allow for "hero time?" Are there other things that you can think of that could interfere with your heroic work? What would be your motivation for being a hero?

... All right. I know you all want to do it... :P... If you had a choice, what would your superpower be? :P //^_^\\'

I'd go first, but since I am new here and all, I wouldn't want anyone to think that this post is being directed by my huge ego. (Even though, I do have a rather large ego... It's about the size of a few universes and has absorbed several galaxies by now... But it's the price I have to pay for being the cutest person in existence, for being so very intelligent, being so awesome, and so modest! :D)

And hey... Maybe after all is said and done... We can compare each other's super-powered selves to everyone else's super-powered selves... and then to known superheroes... And then we could have a massive all-out forum superhero brawl that would be totally awesome!!! :D

... Or not. //^_^\\'
Celey
Regular Poster

Re: Do you have what it takes to be a superhero?

Postby Sun tzu on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:50 am

Well, I gotta say it depends a lot on what powers I get and what kind of world I live in. Like I've been saying in the "The Ends don't Justify the Means" thread, being a superhero isn't necessarily the right thing to do.
But if I'm capable of it? Hm...Probably not. I'm the most honest people I know, I give to charity, I consider myself a pretty damn nice fellow...but, to put it bluntly, I'm not brave. I'm not self-sacrificing enough to risk my life to protect others.
Saga of Soul: Not your typical magical girl.
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Postby Celey on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:46 am

Huh... I was expecting a more thorough answer... //^_^\\'... Ahh well... Feel free to expand at any time...

For me, I don't think I have what it takes to be a superhero, but not for exactly the same reasons as you, Sun Tzu...

I am a pretty good and decent person myself... (I do volunteer work when I have the opportunity and I rather enjoy helping people). For the self-sacrificing part... well, it's a mixed bag. There have been several times where I've stood up for people that are getting made fun of (and yet, seem to be unable to do so for myself)... And there was one time (I'd rather not give full details) I actually stepped in when someone was advancing towards another person with a knife in hand ... (One of the scariest moments in my life... It was... rather impulsive. I didn't think about what I was doing. I remember I tried reasoning with the knife-wielder... if someone else *luck was on my side, apparently* hadn't stepped in and actually got a hold of him, I'm sure I wouldn't have come out of that situation without any injuries *or worse*)...

However, there's another time that ran more contradictory to that... I was out during Halloween with a friend... and there was one of those idiots walking around with a chainsaw to scare people. My friend assured me that as long as I didn't pay any attention to him, he wouldn't go after us to make us more scared... However, at some point, my mind decided "Screw this..." and I panicked... and I shouted to my friend "RUN!" and I took off (fastest I had ever run, she said she had never seen me run so fast) and left her behind. So, obviously, I'm not above abandoning people in order to save my own skin...

The problem with both of those situations is that I acted on impulse. I think, perhaps, if I actually had training (like the kind soldiers have in order to go into a situation with a cool head and not operate entirely on instinct)... I could better control that impulse. So, I don't think, really, being self-sacrificing would be a problem for me, in that case...

There are a few major things psychologically that could impede me as a superhero. For one, I'm a very sensitive person. I don't mean to be. I'm well-aware of the dark things that go on in this world. Yet, despite all of the things I've gone through and the things that happen in this world, a few harsh words will be all it takes to make me a nervous wreck. Not a good thing if you happen to witness a particularly violent crime before you can stop it... or if you're going up against a particularly nasty supervillain. Which, speaking of supervillains... I can be quite gullible, at times. It's rather odd because I'm generally considered to be quite intelligent... And yet, it's almost ridiculously easy to take advantage of me. I'd probably be fine against dim-witted villains, but for the manipulative-type... Probably not so much.

And then, I'm also a passive person. I'm far too willing to just let things happen to me. There are times I can be... pro-active... (like taking care of college stuff, getting myself a part-time job)... I mean, I'm quite capable of fending for myself. But... if someone starts screaming at me, I'm all too likely to just stand there and take it (and believe it to be my fault when, in hindsight, it turns out that it wasn't). Most superheroes aren't passive people. They're usually very assertive and pretty sure of themselves (at least, when they put on the mask and all).

At the moment, I'm not entirely sure I'd have enough flexibility in my life to do hero work... and I don't think I will ever, either. Also, I'm not physically suited for a job like that. One punch to the gut would probably be all it would take to floor me. As for the possible motivations I'd have to decide I need to go fight crime and whatnot... Hmm. I can't honestly think of any... I mean, I'm sure that I'd like to prevent it, but beyond that... Probably the only other reason because it sounds like it'd be totally awesome (Awesome is my favorite word! :D). So, I wouldn't have a strong enough desire for it.

As for what superpowers I'd like to have? Mind control..... Or the ability to control insects... :D
Celey
Regular Poster

Postby Nifar on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:13 pm

I'll be the first one to admit that I'd use superpowers for my own gain. If I got electricity powers I'd sell out to the power company; if I got the ability to teleport I'd trade in my car so that I'd never have to pay for gas, same with flying. I'm not sure what I'd do with stuff like fire or ice control, but I'd think of something.

The reason behind this? It's not that I'm not brave enough to be a superhero, it's simply that I don't care enough. I can't be bothered to be constantly on the run from the law, either. I'd probably end up doing something like Spider-Man before Uncle Ben died, only not giving it up to become a superhero.
Nifar

Postby Celey on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:12 pm

Well, Nifar... You do have at least one quality of a superhero. You're pretty honest. //^_^\\
Celey
Regular Poster

Postby Core on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:13 pm

Hmm, might as well chime in on this topic since do have some things to add to it. I have been called a hero more then once for some of the things that I have done in the past, which to many can be seen as minor in nature.

One such event happened at a school graduation party, which the high school I went to held at a local college. One of my friends who suffers from poor health to start with came down with a sudden attack that caused her to black out and faint, and then have trouble breathing. We were with a group of other friends, and while the others tended to her I ran to get help. I sprinted to the security office, bypassing security barriers and leaping down or up stairs to fetch help and then lead them back to my friend. We were able to get hold of her parents and they took over from there. But she did say that I was a hero for being the only one to do that.

Personally if I were to develop any type of super powers, I would think they would be enhancements to things that I already am capable of doing. I have always been a strong person, capable of carrying a lot of weight as well as lifting a great deal. It was put to the test once in high school when we were allowed into the weight training room as a part of our gym class and a group of people set the weights to maximum on one of the machines I was using without me knowing it. Didn't lift it far, but I was able to lift all the weights measuring about three feet high a few inches off the ground before I put them back down.

I am also resistant to damage it seems, since in all the time that I have been around I have not broken a single bone in my body, I have come close with sever sprains, but never broken a bone. I do however have an injury that I suffered as a child that has damaged my right leg, where it was dislocated violently in a car accident and then slammed back into place. The damage resulting from that causes me a great deal of pain if I run for prolonged periods of time, a pain that I ignored when my friend needed help.

I do have some other traits that have led to some nicknames that people called me in the past as a way of making fun of me, which is that they called me a "Vampire" or a "Werewolf". The reason they called me this is due to some genetic abnormalities that I have. The first of which is that my eyes are highly sensitive to light, so I have to wear tinted glasses or sunglasses in order to see without my eyes watering to the point that it looks like I am crying. The glasses also serve as corrective lenses since my eyesight started to degrade early on. This of course kept me inside a lot because bright sunlight actually hurts my eyes to the point of giving me sever headaches. Coupled with the fact that my canine's are slightly elongated and sharp, it led to that nickname that some people gave me. The plus side is that I can see in some low light areas fairly well or better then some others.

So, with that being said, my powers (if I were to develop any) would be based upon what I already have. Enhanced strength, resistance to damage, and increased vision in the dark. Not a bad array of powers, but not the best of some heroes or villains.
As to what kind of hero (or villain) I would be, I am not sure. When playing games that give you a choice of actions, I usually go with what I feel is right and end up on the high good scale as far as Karma goes. But real life and games are different beasts, and it is very hard to make a choice at times, and there is always the threat of temptation to abuse ones abilities. I come from a long line of soldiers, doctors, civil service, and the like, and have been brought up on strict values and a code of conduct that I hold myself too. But the temptation to do evil, such as using ones abilities to get back at those that wronged you in some way in the past, or even something that is seen as good to many can be seen as evil to another.

I guess I would just go out and help where I can, and try to manage my life as best I can between college, family and job searching. And as for a name or such, I might just borrow from my family crest/coat of arms, which bares an image of a wolf's head.
"Vita et pectore puro"
Core

Postby Celey on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:47 pm

:D... I'm glad that interest in this thread has picked up a little bit. Thanks for the thorough response, Core. You definitely sound like you have the makings of a hero! I have to say, though, I am quite envious.... Sounds like you have a family history of everyday, ordinary heroes (doctors, soldiers, etc.)

I have a long line of alcoholics (and various other shady characters) in my family... :shifty: Pretty sucky... Even my last name seems to hint at it (which means this must have been going on for a loooong time)... It means something that involves wine... in German... I think its wine maker or wine distiller... or something along those lines... *Shakes head*

Hmm... If I had to rate us would-be heroes so far on a scale of 1-10... I'd say...

Core comes in at the highest with an 8... Then, me... with a 5... Sun Tzu with a 4... and Nifar with a 2 (Nifar isn't a 1 because of the honesty! That earns an extra point!) //^_^\\
Celey
Regular Poster

Postby Nifar on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:56 pm

Nifar also isn't a one because while he wouldn't go out of his way to patrol for crime, he'd stop a mugging if he came across one.
Nifar

Postby Gear001 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:45 am

It extremely depends on the power. If I get any powers that aid in quick transportation (Flight, speed, teleportation), than yes, I definitely would be a superhero.

The main issue is that I live about a 30 minute car ride from any crime areas, so getting there would be key. I do have a car, but I´m 17 and still live at home. If I got powers that required me to use a vehicle, then I would tell my parents about my abilities. Hopefully, I would be able to convince them to let me make a patrol three nights a week (more during summer).

I like to think I already have a form of power in the form of strong Empathy. I can get extremely strong emotional signals from people. This would aid me in moral decisions. I could get a read if the person I was fighting was dead set on killing me, or if they were innocent.

As a hero, I wouldn´t feel bound to save the villain´s life. I would kill, but not indiscriminately. I would move to disarm, kill only if the person continuosly tried to kill me.

I guess if I killed I wouldn´t be a "Superhero", I would be more along the lines of the "Dark Hero". Superheroes save everyone they can, even the villains. Dark Heroes breach the moral line by killing (in self-defense, in emotional calm, or with situational understanding.)

Name and gig wise, I would be the Ghost. I would wear all black as to blend into the night.

These are just some of my thoughts and ideas. And I would jump at the chance to be a superhero.
I see the world around me. I capture it, I decypher it, analyze it. I can adapt, more than any man, more than any monster, more than any machine. I have ascended to a point where the world is a simple series of calculations and figments. I have become more than a man, less than a god, and much less humane. I have become infinite, and I have become nothing. I have become the Infinite Void, and you will be analyzed!
Gear001
Regular Poster

Postby Celey on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:34 pm

Hmmm.... I'd say you were probably a 5, as well... Maybe a little lower or higher depending... Hard to say.

It sounds like you could end up treading the line between hero and villain... which brings you down somewhat.... That... and being overeager to be a superhero may indicate some lust for power... The transportation thing does sound like it could be an issue...

You do sound like you want to do the right thing, though...
Celey
Regular Poster

Postby Gear001 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 am

Its not like I´d go out on patrol aiming to kill someone. Its a last resort. While LB wouldn´t dare think of it as an option at all, I consider it the final wall between winning and loosing. Can´t run, can´t save others, can´t stop the people non-lethally, then kill. Like I said, last resort.

And off course I would be eager to have superpowers. Its been sort of a dream of mine. I used to want them as a kid to fight bullies, but now I´m older, more mature, and I´d have a secret identity to protect. (And I´m not into unfair fights, unless its stopping evil). I don´t think its power lust, just enthusiasm and excitement at the possibility of having powers :P

Look me in the eye and tell me you´ve never wanted superpowers?
I see the world around me. I capture it, I decypher it, analyze it. I can adapt, more than any man, more than any monster, more than any machine. I have ascended to a point where the world is a simple series of calculations and figments. I have become more than a man, less than a god, and much less humane. I have become infinite, and I have become nothing. I have become the Infinite Void, and you will be analyzed!
Gear001
Regular Poster

Postby Nude0007 on Thu May 26, 2011 6:00 pm

ok, I agree with sun tzu. It depends on the power I got. I have thought about puttin on general protective gear and goin out lookin for bad guys, but the truth is, I'd not be sure how to proceed once I found them. They aren't gonna just do something criminal right in front of u, and even if they did, what then? My instinct would be to shoot them dead, but there usually is more than a few of them, I'd think. The law would certainly arrest me and de-mask me, unless I was quick enough to get away. Facing murder charges is not my idea of fun, nor is ending up dead from their weapons.

If I were green lantern I'd like that and be very effective. The ring can do things that they don't even approach in the comics cause they don't want to make him seem too godlike. The problem here is that I would not want to stop at the law. It is just too tempting to go beyond the limits of the law, especially if have such enormous power and could make a really huge difference in a short time. End result is I could "save" the human race and usher in a new era of peace and prosperity, but the cost would be great and I would no doubt become an outlaw or hated and feared or all three. The end would justify the means, but the price would be high; eternal outcast and ultimately living with the idea that I would have killed millions so that the rest could live peacefully.

Or let's say I did stick within the law. I'd still do things to help myself and others and could make a less dramatic difference, but I'd still be able to do illegal things they couldn't prove (GL's ring can hack any computer system with laughable ease and with no trace whatsoever. I'd take all the b-holes on wall street's money and give it to our government to pay off the national debt.) Or I'd influence everyones vote and become the next president, quickly getting rid of all the legislation that has ruined our economy and enacting programs to pursue alternative energy at 100%, reducing government paychecks for the upper echelon and their exorbitant retirement plans, reduce the military budget, un-fund the CIA and NSA till they agreed the President had the highest clearance possible and was hence privy to all their info, and end foreign aid till we had eliminated our debt. etc, etc,

I'd dig up all landfills and separate paper, metals and other recyclables into separate piles so they could be used again. I'd deplete nuclear waste and turn all chemical waste inert. I'd clean up and replenish our water on the condition that all water and waste infrastructure was re-done so that losses would not occur, and breaks could be handled in hours at most (I have a cool plan to do this). I'd offer incentives for electric cars and beef up the power grid to handle it. Wind farms, solar panels, geothermal energy would become common and when they were established enough, outlaw oil and coal. I'd end the diamond industry monopoly which keeps their cost artificially inflated (it hurts our economy greatly when prices are kept artificially high) and establish a more equal pay scale between blue and white collar jobs. The elite must be eliminated and the money be handled by companies dedicated to the advancement of mankind, not the exploitation of it. End corporate lobbying in govt., end electorial college, end corporate contributions to campaigns (that was real stupid), end cap and trade, and on and on...
"fighting crime" as in the comics is really ineffectual and stupid use of power.
Nude0007

Return to Lightbringer