Why Darkbringer Is Wrong

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.

Why Darkbringer Is Wrong

Postby Maker on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:34 am

The sign of a good villain, Darky makes me angry enough to want to speak to him personally. Here's what I would say:

What you're espousing is the ideal of weakness, the philosophy of giving up. Light isn't self-sustaining, good doesn't last forever, and hope can be broken, you say. That's true. But you're saying that makes it a crime to try to make the world better, because whatever you build will be torn down some time in the future. Then you fail to consider the present. If the sun will only shine one more day, that makes it all the more important to enjoy it while it lasts. Joy is fleeting, all things fall apart, and nothing that's worth doing is ever easy. That doesn't mean nothing is worth doing, it means you have to try harder. You make the world better with hard fucking work, not by wallowing in misery and lashing out at someone who tries to do what you don't have the courage to.

And, the main reason anyone ever loses hope is because of people like you.
"I’m not asking you to accept everyone and everything the same, I’m not defending the rights of KKK or anything. I’m asking if you can accept the possibility, the idea, of any one ideology or belief system or faith or doctrine or lifestyle that may be just as good as yours. I want you to look at the world in all its splendor and glory, absorb its millions of cultures, imagine that you know and love every single living person, and ask yourself, really ask yourself - don’t cheat and look to anyone or anything for answers, but figure this one thing out all by yourself:

"Do you really think you’re better than everyone else?"
Maker
Regular Poster

Re: Why Darkbringer Is Wrong

Postby Linkara on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:39 am

Awesome that you've been inspired to write that. Well-written and good stuff. ^^

Of course, Darkbringer, being so set in his ways, would simply harumph and respond, "Irrelevant. Failure is inevitable. Attempts to save the world are self-defeating due to their inability to ultimately make a difference, and only the strongest could ever be assured total victory. That strongest is the Darkness, and I am its agent and harbinger."

But yeah, good stuff, thanks for actually posting in the forums - seems like this place has been kinda dead even with the revival of the comic. XD

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby Maker on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:29 am

To that the proper response would be, "You didn't hear what I said about the 'ultimate difference' being less important than you think. I could ask why anyone's supposed to listen to you when you won't listen to them, but you'll just say you're right and everyone else in the world are wrong. Maybe this will help you pay attention", and proceed to let him kill you Broken Sword style.

Yeah I was kind of surprised at the lack of activity here. But look at the bright side (heh), every post is permanent, they accumulate over time. Actually I find it best to ignore time as much as possible.
"I’m not asking you to accept everyone and everything the same, I’m not defending the rights of KKK or anything. I’m asking if you can accept the possibility, the idea, of any one ideology or belief system or faith or doctrine or lifestyle that may be just as good as yours. I want you to look at the world in all its splendor and glory, absorb its millions of cultures, imagine that you know and love every single living person, and ask yourself, really ask yourself - don’t cheat and look to anyone or anything for answers, but figure this one thing out all by yourself:

"Do you really think you’re better than everyone else?"
Maker
Regular Poster

Postby Drakeknight on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:56 pm

The defeatist attitude is sort of what defines Darkbringer, isn't it? He's Lightbringer's antithesis, where Lightbringer sees the good he sees the bad. His ignorance is the only thing that keeps him evil. If a good talking to was all it took to make him see the error of his ways and the hope and joy in life, he'd be on the side of all that is right and just faster than you can say "Heel-face turn".
Drakeknight

Return to Lightbringer