Redo the Old Ones?

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.

Redo the Old Ones?

Postby Linkara on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:06 pm

So, I've been thinking - new readers of the site have expressed to me how much they have a problem with reading the old pages before I got a clue knocked into me about both art, lettering, and general comic writing. Is there any support for me to go back and redo Issues 1-7 with the new art, letters, and otherwise?

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Re: Redo the Old Ones?

Postby Wandering Observer on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:57 am

I have to be honest Lewis, you've grown by leaps and bounds on this comic, but you're first strips are very difficult to read through, because of the artwork and some story elements that you've grown out of. For me, it's a tossup, because I'd really like to see more new updates, rather than old ones.

Personally, I would say that if you're going to be rebuilding the first strips, you need to put careful thought in how to do them-There are plot and story continuities that deserve to be rebuilt as well. The first issue lacks elements that make it a good plot, and all of the first three issues could be expanded and molded to better fit your storytelling style.

I'd say keep the project in mind, for when crossoverlord ends, and you have more comics per week. But take a little while to think about it. You could do some good things with revisions, or you could do great things. The choice is yours.
"Safe and sound in its shell, the precious pearl is the slave of the currents."
-IRIS
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Postby Core on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:01 am

I recently asked this question also of those that read my comic and got the same response that I am going to give you. "Nope." You should keep the comic as it is, showing the progress that you have made since you first started out and how you have gotten better. In the end it is up to you however. ;)
"Vita et pectore puro"
Core

Postby Alschroeder on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:26 pm

You will never, ever, finish. I started to do that with the first MINDMISTRESS one, got halfway through it, and then got busy with other projects. If you DO redo some pages, make sure you keep BOTH, with a link from the "new" one to the "old" one, so they can see the progress.

Yet I'd rather see new comics, and I'm sure most readers would agree.---Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroeder/flickerflame/series.php--Flickerflame</a>
Alschroeder
Regular Poster

Postby Drakeknight on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:01 pm

I say leave them. Not only is it a shedload of work, but it shows how you've evolved as a writer, and an artist. Besides, the earliest pages have a sentimental value that I'm connected to. The art is shoddy and the writing isn't quite great, but it holds a special place for me.
Drakeknight

Postby kaiserlicht on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Don't redo anything. It will take forever and the ld pages show your improvement up to the present day, they have a historical value somehow.
kaiserlicht

Postby Gear001 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:22 am

I agree that you should focus on your new panels and not remakes.
However, I did do a sketch of the first cover art, and it wound up pretty good. I would actually be interested in redoing a few epic moments in the series myself. All in all, if I do it, just consider it fan art.
I see the world around me. I capture it, I decypher it, analyze it. I can adapt, more than any man, more than any monster, more than any machine. I have ascended to a point where the world is a simple series of calculations and figments. I have become more than a man, less than a god, and much less humane. I have become infinite, and I have become nothing. I have become the Infinite Void, and you will be analyzed!
Gear001
Regular Poster

Postby Hazardswake on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:35 am

I'm on the fence on this issue.

On one hand, the art and some of the writing kept me from getting into Lightbringer for a long time, which I regret. (Which was pretty hypocritical of me; my early stuff is real bad).

On the other, as many have mentioned, your key focus should be on new comics, and redoing old ones and doing new ones is really time-consuming. I wanted to redo my old comics and started doing so 3 years ago. ...In that three years, I've redone a total of five pages. So yeah, I haven't exactly been successful with it.

Hopefully, people will see the new art and that will be enough incentive to bear with the old stuff long enough to realize that Lightbringer's worth it :D
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.
Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Postby Phantom64 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:23 pm

Well for new readers it would be a good idea to redo the other issues with the new style, and even better idea if you ever sell volumes of it so the art matches each other. But on one hand you shouldn't drop the old issues, to me its a sign of how the comic has evolved from simple stages to what it is now. But like someone said above you really shouldn't mess with it unless you got plenty of time on your hands.

Now if you ever decided to sell volumes of Lightbringer then yeah you really should redo the old issues (hint hint nudge nudge ^_^)
Phantom64

Postby Agent Gecko on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:08 pm

I think you should leave them as they are. Before I read Lightbringer, I'd only read webcomics done by people who are professional artists. I want to do a webcomic myself, but at the time I felt pretty daunted by their artwork. Then I started reading Lightbringer, and I thought, 'This guy has no/little art training, but he's still just gone ahead and done it.' Basically what I'm trying to say, is your crazy art inspired me more than any of the fancy art did, for which I thank you.

Now, cheesy stuff aside, it was kind of cool to see how much your drawing and writing improved as it went along. Every now and then I'd look back, and I'd be like, 'Whoa.' I think that if people can't stick with it, it's their loss.
Agent Gecko

Postby The Fiend 88 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Personally I think your a little hard on yourself as far as those old ones go. I mean admittedly they are far from perfect but some people couldn't have gotten past the first page. You kept up with fairly consistent artwork and story structure for how many years? :o the mind boggles. Besides it's a lot of material to have to cover all over again, and I think they should be kept up on general principles. Maybe the middle ground would be some kind of Recap/flashback issue? That seems to work for a lot of mainstream comics. In the end its all down to you but If it makes you feel any better Alan Moore once faced the same dilemma with early segments of V for Vendetta. heres a quote.

"Along with Marvelman (now Miracleman), V for Vendetta represents my first attempt at a continuing series. begun at the outset of my career. For this reason. amongst others. there are things that ring oddly In earlier episodes when judged In the light of the strip's later development. I trust you'll bear with us during any Initial clumsiness. and share our opinion that it was for tile best to show the early episodes unrevised. warts and all. rather than go back and eradicate all trace of youthful creative Inexperience."
The Fiend 88

Return to Lightbringer