Silly question....

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.

Silly question....

Postby Alschroeder on Wed May 07, 2008 1:01 pm

What is this "buffer" you speak of?
--Al
PS. I kid, I kid. Although I often live dangerously with MM and Flickerflame, Lewis knows how rigid I am wanting enough buffer for say, the CROSSOVERLORD.
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroeder/flickerflame/series.php--Flickerflame</a>
Alschroeder
Regular Poster

Re: Silly question....

Postby Linkara on Wed May 07, 2008 7:11 pm

Hey, I was MORE rigid. ^_~ I had said we should wait until the thing is 3/4 complete before we start posting it.

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby Alschroeder on Wed May 07, 2008 8:39 pm

That's not rigid, that's INSANE. *Grin*
---Al
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroeder/flickerflame/series.php--Flickerflame</a>
Alschroeder
Regular Poster

Postby Wandering Observer on Thu May 08, 2008 9:49 pm

If I'm ever a webcomic artist, maybe I'll understand, but it seems like most of the really famous comics, (i.e. Penny Arcade, Megatokyo, Applegeeks, VG cats, Perry Bible Fellowship, ect) operate without buffers at all. If they can get along with out them, why is it so important that you folks have them at all?
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Fri May 09, 2008 6:15 am

Wandering Observer wrote:If I'm ever a webcomic artist, maybe I'll understand, but it seems like most of the really famous comics, (i.e. Penny Arcade, Megatokyo, Applegeeks, VG cats, Perry Bible Fellowship, ect) operate without buffers at all. If they can get along with out them, why is it so important that you folks have them at all?

Note that all of those are humor comics with very unique style. Especially in one or two of them, they style is VERY simple and easy to create and maintain. Some gag-a-day strips also tend to be smaller than what either Al or I do - i.e. three panels arranged horizontally vs. me with a full page or so, so there's more to be done in it. With comics like VG Cats or Penny Arcade, they already have a loyal and dedicated fanbase that's quite large, but it really started and worked when they WERE posting comics on time (VG Cats in particular). For the little people like us, buffer is important for maintaining a fanbase until we can get it larger, but it's not always easy.

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Alschroeder on Mon May 12, 2008 5:45 am

Having a buffer is a GOOD thing, but I confess on most of the stuff I do, I live dangerously. (Except CROSSOVERLORD, where we're trying to coordinate FIVE artists...there the bigger buffer the better.) OTOH, on both MM and Flickerflame, I do a synopsis of the whole story before I start the story, and storyboard it out at least several pages in advance. So it's not like I don't know where I'm going...

---Al
Think again.
Alschroeder
Regular Poster

Postby Wandering Observer on Thu May 15, 2008 10:27 am

For the record Lewis, which of the comics I mentioned above have a simple drawing style?
"Safe and sound in its shell, the precious pearl is the slave of the currents."
-IRIS
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Thu May 15, 2008 12:09 pm

IMHO, Penny Arcade and VG Cats have very simple drawing styles. They got complicated when you go to coloring and effects and etc.

Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wandering Observer on Fri May 16, 2008 8:03 am

I would suggest going back and watching the Penny Arcade TV segments they have in the blog on how the comic is made. Furthermore, coloring is part of the style, and it's illogical not to consider that when making an argument about update times.
"Safe and sound in its shell, the precious pearl is the slave of the currents."
-IRIS
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Return to Lightbringer