Law (and proportions)

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.

Law (and proportions)

Postby Alschroeder on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:16 am

They're going to let a masked vigilante testify in court???

But if he's the first superhero of his world, then surely the rest of their laws must be very like ours---

No WAY that would be legally admissable.

Or is that going to be the defense's strategy...?

---Al

PS. Not to nitpick, really, just hoping this will help...hey, nobody knows everything...
From HUMAN FIGURE DRAWING PROPORTIONS at http://realcolorwheel.com/human.htm ----
"The head sideways is one head length high and one head length wide. The top of the ear is on line with the eye brows."
"The chest side view is one head width wide at the nipples."
You're improving on how wide you make the head from the side, although it should be even wider--- but you need to do the same with the torso. It's only about half a head wide, if that, in the second panel, giving Lightbringer a somewhat lollipop-like appearance.
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroeder/flickerflame/series.php--Flickerflame</a>
Alschroeder
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:39 am

While not spoken of on-panel, needless to say the Defense already filed a motion to deny his testimony which was turned down. However, as we'll see, the defense attorney is allowed to object to anything that Lightbringer may say or do while on the stand.

Like, oh, I don't know, not giving his real name?

Needless to say I did some research on federal law and Minnesota law to see what I could work with. ^_~ But more or less Lightbringer's setting the precedent to come for superhero testimony (at least in Minnesota).

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby Alschroeder on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:37 pm

I think informant rights to privacy/anonymity doesn't apply if you are actually a witness at a trial, but it's an interesting route to take.---Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroeder/flickerflame/series.php--Flickerflame</a>
Alschroeder
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:55 pm

alschroeder wrote:I think informant rights to privacy/anonymity doesn't apply if you are actually a witness at a trial, but it's an interesting route to take.---Al

At the very least, it's grounds for appeal. ^_~

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sun tzu on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:14 pm

I've been greatly enjoying this sequence. I really have.
But...um...why the heck is Werre's lawyer asking Lightbringer why he didn't try pacifism? It doesn't really strike as either a question that would seem reasonable in the context or one that could help his case. :-?
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Postby VinnieD on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:37 pm

Crazy theory.

Werres' lawyer is using some underhanded psychological tactics, and somehow knows that LB is a former pacifist. Perhaps, someone overheard him talking, and started a rumor?

Though LB certainly shot that down.
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:59 am

sun tzu wrote:I've been greatly enjoying this sequence. I really have.
But...um...why the heck is Werre's lawyer asking Lightbringer why he didn't try pacifism? It doesn't really strike as either a question that would seem reasonable in the context or one that could help his case. :-?

Like I said, the page was meant to be my apology to pacifism. The thing is, Lightbringer has been criticized in the past for presenting an uninformed view of pacifism and frankly they're correct on that front. Hell, a pacifist movement actually DID take down a dictator - Slobodan Milosevic. As such, I wanted to address it in-comic to give the apology credence since Lightbringer himself said in the first storyline that pacifism was equivalent to cowardice.

I actually rewrote this page twice before I got to where it is now because there's just so much I wanted to say in it.

However, Vinnie's crazy theory is partially correct. Werres' lawyer is attempting to point out Lightbringer's use of excessive force in taking down Werres, in particular that he threw him through a window. After all, Lightbringer clearly was more powerful than Werres and could've just detained him and called in the troops. Instead, he actually pursued Werres through Slavers HQ, grabbed him, and threw him through a window onto a table at least a floor or two below him. This is also what Werres was referring to back in the beginning of Issue 9.

However, Werres' lawyer made a mistake. He started on the point of excessive force, but then brought up pacifism as an extreme angle not expecting Lightbringer to actually answer the question. Once Lightbringer answered it in the way he did, the question of excessive force was suddenly off the table in his mind and he had to move on to other avenues.

Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sun tzu on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:25 pm

Ah, I see. So, a screw-up on his part.
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Re: Law (and proportions)

Postby Darkdetective on Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:51 am

wow. this is a brilliant idea.
A superhero webcomic. Updated weekly.
Check out the Spark Animated short film here!
Darkdetective
Regular Poster

Return to Lightbringer