big bucket O LB questions

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.

big bucket O LB questions

Postby VinnieD on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:07 pm

Always wonder about a character's powers, and in Lightbringer's case I just happen to ahve an open forum to ask, so here goes.

LB's powers.

Can he:

Erect a force field? Something akin to that used by Green Lantern. now obviously since he has to concentrate to use his powers I'm guessing he couldn't do anything else while doing this, but let's assume he sees someone pull a gun on him, and doesn't want to take a chance trying to zap the gun out of his hand, he could instead block the bullet. (since before you said he wouldn't be able to react in time to stop a bullet once fired)

As an extension of the above could he with enough practice keep a shield up at a subconscious level.

Could he through self hypnosis implant subconscious defenses, such as keeping him airborne if he's knocked out while flying. (could have come in handy during the crossover with Mindmistress)

In the event he's surrounded can he instead of doing a single beam just unleash an omni direction light blast.

Can he do a charge shot? As in holding his beam back and compressing it, in order to have a single more potent beam.

Can he fire through glass (or clear plastic, water, uncola ect) and maintain a consistent beam without damaging it.

What effects do mirrors or lenses have on his beams?

Has he considered wearing a bullet proof vest?
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Postby Heliomance on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:02 am

To the one about can he fire through glass: Please say yes, as that's the basis of the storyline I'm writing :S
Heliomance

Re: big bucket O LB questions

Postby Linkara on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:33 am

VinnieD wrote:Can he:

Erect a force field? Something akin to that used by Green Lantern. now obviously since he has to concentrate to use his powers I'm guessing he couldn't do anything else while doing this, but let's assume he sees someone pull a gun on him, and doesn't want to take a chance trying to zap the gun out of his hand, he could instead block the bullet. (since before you said he wouldn't be able to react in time to stop a bullet once fired)

He can. We've seen him erect a forcefield on a few occasions, mostly during the Darkbringer two-parter (although in one case Darkbringer's beam burst through the force field).

As an extension of the above could he with enough practice keep a shield up at a subconscious level.

Possibly, but sometimes having a gun shot at you is a very... unpredictable occurrence and even subconscious instincts aren't quick enough.

Could he through self hypnosis implant subconscious defenses, such as keeping him airborne if he's knocked out while flying. (could have come in handy during the crossover with Mindmistress)

Possibly, but as we saw during the Gentleman storyline, he takes a bit of a dim view of hypnotism, even if he sued it on himself.

In the event he's surrounded can he instead of doing a single beam just unleash an omni direction light blast.

Yes, but it's risky. Lightbringer, even though by this point he's been operating for a few months, still hasn't done a lot of hypothetical practice with his powers - i.e. hasn't tried a couple of scenarios for himself for possible encounters. As such, he's not very skilled at using his powers when he's not looking at either his target or at the beam itself. As such, if he was surrounded and had to concentrate on where to fire his beams, it'd be difficult to shoot them all around himself with 100% accuracy.

Can he do a charge shot? As in holding his beam back and compressing it, in order to have a single more potent beam.

Yes. ^_~

Can he fire through glass (or clear plastic, water, uncola ect) and maintain a consistent beam without damaging it.

Funny - one of the inspirations for Lightbringer was a JLA storyline called "Rock of Ages." In it, while fighting Darkseid, it was shown that he had a forcefield and none of the JLA could get through it... except when the Atom realized that since the force field wasn't visible, that meant that light was getting through it, so he shrunk himself down to the size of a light particle and flew through the forcefield right at him.

So, to answer your question, yes, he can, although usually just an energy blast. If he makes the beam more solid, he can shatter or knock away such things.

What effects do mirrors or lenses have on his beams?

Mirrors, having the ability to deflect light, will redirect beams, split them, or just bounce them away, as we saw during the Crossover Wars stuff. Now, in the robots' cases, it was made of a very special reflective material harder than a mirror, so he wasn't able to use a physical construct on it successfully, but a real mirror would probably shatter if he took a construct to it. Same thing for lenses depending on the type of lens.

Has he considered wearing a bullet proof vest?

He thought it made him look fat. ^_~

Actually I had never thought of that, really. Oh, sure, I had considered him getting some kind of body armor, but I figured since he had scant resources to begin with, a bullet-proof vest probably wouldn't be available to him, but up until now I hadn't considered the possibility that a retailer might actually make commercial bullet-proof vests for civilians to purchase...

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby VinnieD on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:23 am

bullet proof vests, flak jackets, and the like can be purchased from military supply stores in some areas, through mail order, and of course through the internet. Though the latter two would leave a trail to Carter.

There are some models available to civilians though they're not quite as good as police and military models. They'll stop typical civilian rounds but not the military grade high velocity rounds. Though military grade guns and rounds aren't available commercially either. Even if you can get military grade guns finding ammo for them is hard, since it's only made by government contractors.
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Postby Heliomance on Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:30 am

Linkara wrote:
VinnieD wrote:

Funny - one of the inspirations for Lightbringer was a JLA storyline called "Rock of Ages." In it, while fighting Darkseid, it was shown that he had a forcefield and none of the JLA could get through it... except when the Atom realized that since the force field wasn't visible, that meant that light was getting through it, so he shrunk himself down to the size of a light particle and flew through the forcefield right at him.

So, to answer your question, yes, he can, although usually just an energy blast. If he makes the beam more solid, he can shatter or knock away such things.

Rats. There goes my storyline.
Heliomance

Postby Linkara on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:23 am

Heliomance wrote:
Linkara wrote:
VinnieD wrote:

Rats. There goes my storyline.

You can always have it set in an alternate universe where his powers work differently. ^_~

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Return to Lightbringer