The Lightbringer Capability Thread

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.

The Lightbringer Capability Thread

Postby Sun tzu on Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:10 am

(Yup, been hanging too much on the CBR Forums...The Rumbles board)

I've been wondering just how powerful Lightbringer is supposed to be. So, here's my atttempt at evaluating his abilities:

1)Creating solid objects out of light. We don't know the limit on how big and strong these objects can be, but we've seen him create a trampoline and block bullets.

2)Use light as an energy blast, wether to blind, punch, or burn. From what we've seen, that ability is roughly on par with what a very strong man could do with his fists, only ranged (though it is possible he's much more powerful, and has been holding back for fear of killing his foes).

3)Flight. I've been assuming that this is based on his first ability - he surrounds himself with solid light and makes it push him in the air (though I could be wrong about this). Maximum speed unknown, but it's looked to me like he's about as fast as a car.

Am I forgetting anything?

All in all, from what we've seen, Lightbringer seems solidl street-level (to some extent, I'm wondering if it would be really that difficult for the gangs of Pharos City to kill him if they decided to...)
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:30 am

Ugh, you're keeping me up at 3:30 in the morning here to answer this because I reeeeeaaallly want to...

1. I've been wanting to do more with this, but just haven't written into a situation where he'd need to create anything more complex. Essentially, he could theoretically make something really big, even the size of the city, but the sheer level of concentration and focus necessary for keeping such a thing going would probably overtax him. Every one of his abilities requires a lot of focus on his part, as we saw as he was falling and tried to catch himself with a beam of light - he couldn't keep it together when he was dying so rapidly.

2. Issue 12 will give a better idea of just how much power he could really wield, but as I said above, the sheer amount of focus required is still rather hard on him.

3. More or less. At FallCon, I met James Kakalios, author of the Physics of Superheroes and he discussed the plausible idea of how Lightbringer flies - light particles have mass and momentum as they move, but it's usually not strong enough to push a person in any particular direction. However, Lightbringer is actually directing an incalculable amount of light against his own person, so much so and so rapidly that it allows him to push himself around in the air. I haven't gotten speed limits yet on him, but I will say he isn't faster than a speeding bullet. ^_~

Issue 8 will also show that it is conceivable for a gang to kill him if they so decided. As I said in another thread, while I want the heroes of this univers to be conceivably powerful, I don't want them at Superman or DBZ levels in terms of power. Lightbringer is still made of fleshy materials and he could get killed if he was shot in the head.

The only thing you really missed was how Lightbringer's powers work - as far as we know, the only thing able to really change a particle of light's direction is gravity, thus Lightbringer is actually controlling the gravitational pull around light, either focusing it in a single spot and bringing in enough light particles to form a solid mass or to direct it in concentrated bursts, sometimes accelerating or charging the bursts to the point that they become heated.

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby Sun tzu on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:08 am

1. I've been wanting to do more with this, but just haven't written into a situation where he'd need to create anything more complex. Essentially, he could theoretically make something really big, even the size of the city, but the sheer level of concentration and focus necessary for keeping such a thing going would probably overtax him. Every one of his abilities requires a lot of focus on his part, as we saw as he was falling and tried to catch himself with a beam of light - he couldn't keep it together when he was dying so rapidly.

So his abilities require mental rather than physical effort?

Issue 8 will also show that it is conceivable for a gang to kill him if they so decided. As I said in another thread, while I want the heroes of this univers to be conceivably powerful, I don't want them at Superman or DBZ levels in terms of power. Lightbringer is still made of fleshy materials and he could get killed if he was shot in the head.

So far, he seems to be somewhere between Daredevil and Spider-Man in terms of power level.

The only thing you really missed was how Lightbringer's powers work - as far as we know, the only thing able to really change a particle of light's direction is gravity, thus Lightbringer is actually controlling the gravitational pull around light, either focusing it in a single spot and bringing in enough light particles to form a solid mass or to direct it in concentrated bursts, sometimes accelerating or charging the bursts to the point that they become heated.

That part leaves me scratching my head. If all he does is manipulate gravity to bend light...Where does the light come from? With the amounts of energy he's throwing around - even at night - he would need to bring in immense quantities of light...Also, in order to affect light, he'd need gravity powerful enough to, well...let's just say light shouldn't be the only thing affected.
Truth be told, Lighrbinger's powerset reminds me a bit of Captain Quanta, an NPC from my Mutants&Masterminds RPG. He could generate objects and energy by controlling the appearance and disappearance of virtual particles...
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Postby Heliomance on Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:22 am

Is Lightbringer shooting photons at himself to propel him, or is he shooting them from his hands and flying by Newton's Third Law?
Heliomance

Postby Linkara on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:50 pm

More like attracting the photons to himself and flying by Newton's third law. It's one of the reasons why he has the white glow in photographs - the cameras are picking up all the extra light being pushed at him. There are other reasons for it, but I won't get into that just yet.

<.<

>.>

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sun tzu on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:43 am

Call me crazy, but I thought I'd try to create a Mutants&Masterminds character sheet for Lightbringer:

Strength: 10
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 10 (as far as I can tell, Carter is physically average...no matter how much fanart represents him as having a weightlifter's figure)
Intelligence: 12 (Not a genius, but reasonably bright)
Wisdom: 12 (Really hesitated on that one - wisdom here is supposed to represent awareness and willpower, and I'm not certain whether Carter's really above average here)
Charisma: 14 (Not exceptional, but he seems easy to get along with in civilian identity, and pulls off the paragon hero schtick pretty convincingly)

Attack Bonus: +1
Defense Bonus: +1

Willpower: +2

Skills:
Computers: 1 (I don't recall him doing anything with computers, but presumably he can use them)
Craft (Artistic): 2 (he did make his own costume)
Disguise: 2
Intimidate: 1
Knowledge (Popular Culture): 1
Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy): 1
Language: 1 (Latin)
Profession (furniture store owner): 3

Feats: Connected (Chief Crane, possible Lewis...), Equipment 1 (we've seen some basic stuff, like the communicators), Ranged Pin, Sidekick 5 (Hannah, despite her protests to the contrary)

Powers:
Blast +5; Power Feat: Accurate (in the absence of known limits, I'm giving his blast the same power as an olympic weightlifter's punch)
Create Objects +3
Flight +4 (we don't know his top speed, so I'm giving him a flight speed of 100 mph for now)

Overall: 50 power points, for a power level of 4. Of course, it is possible that I am vastly underestimating him...
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Postby Wandering Observer on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:41 pm

tzu, I have a newfound respect for you. That was absolutely fantastic. Maybe I should do a D&D version...
"Safe and sound in its shell, the precious pearl is the slave of the currents."
-IRIS
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Postby Sun tzu on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:50 pm

Wandering Observer wrote:tzu, I have a newfound respect for you. That was absolutely fantastic. Maybe I should do a D&D version...

How come people seem to respect me more at my geekiest? This is just like the time I made a thread to analyze the capabilities of the Care Bears...
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:26 pm

sun tzu wrote:
Wandering Observer wrote:tzu, I have a newfound respect for you. That was absolutely fantastic. Maybe I should do a D&D version...

How come people seem to respect me more at my geekiest? This is just like the time I made a thread to analyze the capabilities of the Care Bears...

...Because we're geeks?

Awesome work, by the way. ^_~

Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wandering Observer on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:09 pm

Geek is a word without much real meaning. What I really admire in your work is your creativity and your ability to connect Lightbringer to outside sources in clever and interesting ways.
In short, I respect you because you're intelligent and thought provoking.
"Safe and sound in its shell, the precious pearl is the slave of the currents."
-IRIS
Wandering Observer
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:43 pm

Wandering Observer wrote:Geek is a word without much real meaning. What I really admire in your work is your creativity and your ability to connect Lightbringer to outside sources in clever and interesting ways.

D'aww shucks. ^^

Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Johndar on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:08 am

Linkara wrote:
Wandering Observer wrote:Geek is a word without much real meaning. What I really admire in your work is your creativity and your ability to connect Lightbringer to outside sources in clever and interesting ways.

D'aww shucks. ^^

I think he was talking about Sun Tzu, Link.
Beware the Dangerchair
Johndar
Regular Poster

Postby Linkara on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:22 am

Johndar wrote:
Linkara wrote:

D'aww shucks. ^^

I think he was talking about Sun Tzu, Link.

You're not allowed here anymore.

(I'm kidding. XD )

Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Postby Xade on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:55 am

hmm, It would be interesting if Lightbringer was an Xadian, on Xade magic is possible, if he has that much focus over light/gravity then he could be a "learned wizard" (not a naturally born wizard who can effortlessly store magic) specializing in light and gravity.

--Boring explanation stuff below, feel free to skip

Natural wizards store magic without out much thought, able to use it just as naturally as breathing, tho the mind molds the stored magic, sometimes helped by words or gestures. As such only a natural wizard would be a "hidden wizard" which means their powers havent been activated and the magic goes to helping to maintain the body's overall health.

A learned wizard on the other hand has to consciously control and store the magic, called taming, before it can be used. Once tamed the magic will simply sit in the body ready to be used or wasted by an involuntary gesture, sneezing for example.

A simple sneeze of a learned wizard will shrink anyone within a 10 foot radius by half each sneeze. A natural one will simply explode magic in their visual effect, sparkles, light, smoke, ect.

Now, if for instance the learned wizard were unexpectedly injured, say a bullet then the magic would explode outwards yet transform their opposite, (good vs evil,) for up to 1 circular mile, (depends on their power) unless the potential victim is more powerful then the learned wizard; then nothing will happen. On the other hand a natural wizard is simply hurt.

Another difference is a natural wizard can only go so high of a level without locating enhancing artifacts or friends. Becoming a true adult (adults know what I mean) will also give them a powerboost. Learned wizards have no restriction and can keep gaining power, as long as they have the will to control it. However, if they do not embrace adulthood terrible/awesome things can happen to them depending on their affiliation.

---end explanation

Like Link, I wrote a few books on my comic before basing my comic off of said books so I got a lot of background to go on. :P

--Disclaimer about explanation
note, this is not really a spoiler, simply explaining the difference and hoping to entice people to come read it :P (I know I jumped into a crossover way too soon :P) Course if he were to visit it would be very interesting too...but I am too slow for that right now :P
CG mirror, still in progress
Xade

Return to Lightbringer